Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Husayni

Mandatory To Grow a Beard?

Rate this topic

Salamu Alaikum

I have been reading and according to some unknown shia sources, with some sunni sources, most come to the conclusion that as it's considered a requirement for females to do hijab, it is just as important for males to keep a beard on their face, and it's haram to shave it all off.

Is it true? Thoughts?

49 minutes ago, Ahmad Al said:

Salamu Alaikum

I have been reading and according to some unknown shia sources, with some sunni sources, most come to the conclusion that as it's considered a requirement for females to do hijab, it is just as important for males to keep a beard on their face, and it's haram to shave it all off.

Is it true? Thoughts?

Ayat Allah Sistani:

Question: Is it permissible to shave the two sides of the face and leave the hair on the chin?

Answer: Shaving the beard is haram based on obligatory precaution, and this includes the hair that grows on the sides of the face. However, there is no problem in shaving the hair that grows on the cheeks.

Question: At times the big companies in Europe discriminate —among those who come to them seeking jobs— between those who shave their beards and those who don’t shave them. If this is true, then is it permissible to be clean shave in order to get the job?

Answer: Shaving the beard —whose prohibition is based on obligatory precaution— would not become permissible just by the desire to get a job with these companies.

Question: Is it permissible to shave beard, if one is faced with an unavoidable or a difficult situation?

Answer: A Muslim is allowed to shave his beard, if he is compelled to do so or if he is forced to shave it for medical reasons, etc. It also allowed if he fears harm to his life by not shaving or if growing the beard would put him in difficulty (for example, if it becomes a cause of ridicule and humiliation that is not normally tolerable by a Muslim).

http://www.sistani.org/english/qa/01136/

Ayatullah Khamenei's rulings:

Q1: Is shaving the beard considered as sin?

A: According to obligatory caution, shaving the beard is ḥarām. Therefore, rulings and consequences of a sinful act are applied to it as a matter of caution.

Q2: Some men leave the hair around the chin grow, i.e. goatee, and shave the rest of the beard. What is the view on such practice?

A: The ruling on shaving a part of beard is the same as that passed on shaving the entire beard.

On 04/04/2017 at 1:01 PM, Hussaini624 said:

Salamu Alaikum

Is it true? Thoughts?

It is not permissible for men to shave their beards, however it is permissible to trim it and shave the hair on the cheeks. 

5 minutes ago, E.L King said:

Sistani says you can't do that, based on obligatory precaution.

Question: Is it permissible to shave the two sides of the face and leave the hair on the chin?

Answer: Shaving the beard is haram based on obligatory precaution, and this includes the hair that grows on the sides of the face. However, there is no problem in shaving the hair that grows on the cheeks.

28 minutes ago, Hassan- said:

Sorry, I got confused by the "side of the face" and the "cheeks".

3 hours ago, E.L King said:

My brother its ok. 

:salam:

most come to the conclusion that as it's considered a requirement for females to do hijab, it is just as important for males to keep a beard on their face, and it's haram to shave it all off.

Most jurists today say it is Haram for a man to shave his beard, based on obligatory precaution.

The reason for why the jurists say obligatory precaution is because the evidence for it being prohibited to shave is not very convincing in our books, yet it is safer to err on the precautionary side of things (due to some degree of precedence that exists for keeping a beard). Nevertheless, even if your jurist says it is Haram based on obligatory precaution, you are still obliged to follow the ruling, unless who you consider to be the next most knowledgeable jurist allows for you to shave the beard, in which case you can switch to him.

On a grand scheme of things though, the importance of the female covering cannot be compared to that of a man's beard. The former - which is something external to the human body, yet part and parcel of a Muslim woman in the public sphere - has the ability to cause a lot of positive social impact, which really cannot be said about the beard (which is facial hair that most men around the world, whether they are Muslims or not, grow and keep). At the same time, I don't want to down-play the beard either because there are other reasons (besides the Shar'i necessity of it) for why keeping a beard is beneficial. Certain health benefits exist, and a beard is also symbolic in many parts of the world for religiosity, wisdom, strength etc. and it is good for a person to associate themselves with such positive perceptions as it reinforces one's own commitment to those values. Of course these perceptions can really easily change from one place to another as well, such as amongst some people in the West who might perceive a person with a beard (especially if they are Muslim) to be a barbarian, and uncivilized. 

From a Shi'i fiqh position, the ruling on the beard only began being mentioned near the end of the 7th century Hijri (unlike Sunni fiqh, where you see it being mentioned as early as 1st-2nd century Hijri) You won't find anything about the beard (keeping it or shaving it) in the works of earlier scholars like Shaykh Saduq, Shaykh Mufid, Shaykh Tusi, Sayyid Murtadha, all the way down till Ibn Idris al-Hilli, 'Allamah Hilli, Ibn Zuhra, Ibn Barraj etc.

The first scholar to mention anything about a beard seems to be Yahya bin Sa'eed al-Hilli (d. 690 Hijri) in his work al-Jami' lil-Sharai' and whether his statement indicates impressibility of shaving or not is hard to tell. Later scholars had many differences of opinions on the matter, many even arguing that it is merely Makruh.

Wasalam

Guest silasun

Abro@E.L King

It seems that it's allowed to have a chin strap but not allowed to have a French beard.

That's what I gathered when I phoned S. Sistani's London to see if I could carve at the area of my beard between my lip and chin. It's the S. Muneer al-Khabaz look lol.

11 minutes ago, silasun said:

Abro@E.L King

It seems that it's allowed to have a chin strap but not allowed to have a French beard.

That's what I gathered when I phoned S. Sistani's London to see if I could carve at the area of my beard between my lip and chin. It's the S. Muneer al-Khabaz look lol.

Yes.

4 hours ago, Ibn al-Hussain said:

x

JazakAllah Khayr brother.

One answer i can not find anywhere is how long should the beard be?

In todays day, we can trim it down to 1mm without shaving it, so it almost looks shaven, but is technically still there.

Just now, QuranandAhlulbayt said:

One answer i can not find anywhere is how long should the beard be?

In todays day, we can trim it down to 1mm without shaving it, so it almost looks shaven, but is technically still there.

Anything that is considered a "beard" in the local custom ('urf), is sufficient. In other words, you have to figure out for yourself whether a 1mm trimmed "beard" on your face which looks almost shaven, still considered a beard or not. When people look at that face, will they say "he has a beard"? 

Sayyid Sistani [source]إذا عدّت لحية عرفاً فلا يجوز حلقها علي الأحوط

If it is considered a beard in 'urf, then it is not allowed to shave it based on obligatory precaution (this is a response to someone who is asking if it is allowed to shave the hair on the face, if it is really thin, so that it can grow back thicker).

Wasalam

On 13/04/2017 at 8:37 AM, E.L King said:

Hah, see brother @Shaykh Patience101 it is not only me !

Assalamu alaikum 

Shaving the whole beard or less than your fist is haram, but you should cut the part of the beard that is longer than your fist (four fingers).

This video might explain...

La ilahe ilallah wa Muhammadan rasulullah wa Aliyan waliyullah Ya Ali

I like all the Muslim dudes that shave these fancy beards so they look like models, where they have this super thin beard, or they model it after some actor, etc.  Basically they partake in excess vanity.

But, I have no beard.  Keep it clean shaven.  Like someone said above, the term obligatory precation is used because EVERYONE and pretty much all the prophets in history had beards.  So WWJD, or WWMD, etc., right?  I wouldn't mind keeping a beard, but I find I can keep my face far cleaner without one.

Dear brother in Islam,

Shaving beard is not allowed, as an obligatory precaution. The size of beard should be as much as the custom ('urf) should say  that "you have beard". French cut beard is not sufficient as an obligatory precaution.

According to Grand Ayatollah Sistani, in his book titled "A Code of Practice for Muslims in the West", if a person's beard becomes a cause of ridicule and humiliation that is not normally tolerable by a Muslim, it is permissible to shave beard. Likely, it is permissible to shave it for medical reasons, if one considers it to be necessary.  Trimming and cutting short the beard is allowed but one should not shave it, if it is not for a valid reason.

As you understand, Shia religious authorities have not issued a ruling (fatwa) in this regard. What they have stated in connection with beard is simply based on precaution (ihtiat).

Wassalam

Related link:

http://islamportal.net/question/beard-islam