Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Caliguy

Trimming the beard from the sides of face?

Rate this topic

Asalamualekum,

I know shaving from sides of the face is not allowed and one can shave the cheeks. But is it allowed to trim some of the height “top and bottom” of the beard from sides. Meaning can I shave some parts below the cheeks from sides of the face.

W/salam 

6 minutes ago, Caliguy said:

Asalamualekum,

I know shaving from sides of the face is not allowed and one can shave the cheeks. But is it allowed to trim some of the height “top and bottom” of the beard from sides. Meaning can I shave some parts below the cheeks from sides of the face.

W/salam 

The criteria is that it must "be considered a beard" according to societal norms. As a rule of thumb, as long as you have a continuous line running from ear-to-ear, you are most likely good. The beard does not have to cover the cheeks completely, and trimming from the neck and the top of the cheeks is allowed. As you mentioned, a goatee is not permissible according to most maraje.

On 4/2/2017 at 7:35 AM, Caliguy said:

Asalamualekum,

W/salam 

Salam dear brother!

Most of Ulema believe shaving beard is not allowed and there is no difference between the sides and the chin as you mentioned.

This is the fatwa of Ayatollah Sistani in this regard:

Question: Is it permissible to shave the two sides of the face and leave the hair on the chin?Answer: Shaving the beard is haram based on obligatory precaution, and this includes the hair that grows on the sides of the face. However, there is no problem in shaving the hair that grows on the cheeks.Source

But about what you mentioned, it goes back to what people commonly consider it. Look at these fatwas from Ayatollah Khamenei:

Q1399: What is meant by jaws on which growing a beard is obligatory? Do they include the cheeks? 
A: The criterion is that the common view recognizes it as a beard.

This is also the same in the issue of the length of the beard:

Q1400: What should the minimum and maximum length of a beard be?
A: There is no definite measure. However, the criterion is based on what the common view recognizes as a beard. That said, it is disliked to let it grow longer than one’s own grasp. Source

On 01/04/2017 at 11:05 PM, Caliguy said:

Asalamualekum,

W/salam 

Trimming is permissible. Trimming is simply shortening. Shaving the sides is haram. 

On 03/04/2017 at 0:55 PM, Shaikh Jawad said:

This is the fatwa of Ayatollah Sistani in this regard:

Question: Is it permissible to shave the two sides of the face and leave the hair on the chin?Answer: Shaving the beard is haram based on obligatory precaution, and this includes the hair that grows on the sides of the face. However, there is no problem in shaving the hair that grows on the cheeks.Source

:salam:

How are cheeks different from the sides of the face?

There is sometimes with fatawa sometimes... They know thousands of people will be reading those, why not make it clearer from the start?

1 hour ago, realizm said:

:salam:

How are cheeks different from the sides of the face?

There is sometimes with fatawa sometimes... They know thousands of people will be reading those, why not make it clearer from the start?

It really doesn't take a genius to recognize the difference between the cheeks and the side of a face.

More about the reader's level of English comprehension than any ambiguities in the rulings of maraje.

42 minutes ago, Shaykh Patience101 said:

It really doesn't take a genius to recognize the difference between the cheeks and the side of a face.

More about the reader's level of English comprehension than any ambiguities in the rulings of maraje.

Lol are not cheeks on the side of a face ? 

My english is not that bad if I judge it from people around me but maybe you are right on that particular cheek issue...

Could you show an example of someone who shaved his cheeks but not the side of his face then ? That might help.

12 hours ago, realizm said:

Lol are not cheeks on the side of a face ? 

My english is not that bad if I judge it from people around me but maybe you are right on that particular cheek issue...

Could you show an example of someone who shaved his cheeks but not the side of his face then ? That might help.

Shaving the cheeks (permissible):

chinstrap-beard-for-stylish-men.jpg

Shaving the side of the face (impermissible):

Facial_AroundTheMouth_Goatee1.jpg