In the Name of God بسم الله

Why did the Prophet have 9 wives?

Rate this topic

Did not see last part))

maybe because they are supposed to be with him in the paradise and the number was as such

he actually married more wives, and with two he did not copulate and they separated they are Amrat and Al-shanba'

Khadija, Sawda, Aisha, Hafsa, Zainab bint Jahsh, Zainab bint Khuzaima, Maryam kopty, Sofia, Umm habeeba bint abi sufyan, Umm Salama, Juweiriya, Maymoona bint Kharis, Zainab bint Umays, Khowlat bint hakeem al-Salmy, Rayhanna al-hindiqiya, 

• Veteran Member

My teacher (defender of Aisha) told me that 1. marrying many is not for lust, as the wives are mostly not virgin, 2. to teach human about the rule of marriage (eventhough need to compare and find the original and truth between the hadith from Aisha and the hadith from Ahlul Bayt a.s.).

• Veteran Member
36 minutes ago, myouvial said:

My teacher (defender of Aisha) told me that 1. marrying many is not for lust, as the wives are mostly not virgin, 

He used to spend most of the night in worship, which is evidence enough for the premise that he did not marry for physical pleasure,  

Edited by baqar

• Veteran Member
Just now, baqar said:

He used to spend most of his time in worship, which is evidence enough for the premise that he did not marry for physical pleasure,  

Yes, i think so. I do not know his knowledge about Ahlul Bayt a.s., i walk alone as we born alone and we will die alone.

5 hours ago, Ibn Al-Shahid said:

السلام غليكم

I'm not asking if it was made halal for him or not. I'm simply wondering what's the reason for it because it's obviously there to teach us something.

The reason are multiple. 

1. To marry someone to provide her shelter from outside harms and fulfil basic necessities as there were always wars so ratio of women to men was always huge.

2. Even a normal Muslim is allowed to have as many temporary marriages as he could afford. The reason is that same as of providing shelter and fulfil basic necessities of woman.

The only difference between prophet and man is that Prophet could marry as many independent wives as he wants but ordinary man can not marry more than four is:

1. Ordinary man soon gets tired of fulfilling responsibilities and may imbalance other lives. So, God gave him ease by limiting his marriage number to four. And even in that God says that one is sufficient if you had known it.

2. As opposed to men, prophets had extraordinary patience to support their families and fulfil their rights.

3. If ordinary men had been allowed to have more than four wives, many of them would have married in thousands and would have just started competition for most marriages record as human is always found busy in doing useless stuff. By doing that they would have rendered many men and women unable to satisfy their emotional needs.

4. As opposed to above fact, many prophets who even though were allowed to marry more than four just had one or two wives and even prophet pbuhhp did not go beyond 9 marriages. 

I hope it's sufficient answer. If there is more we can discuss it.

• Advanced Member
7 hours ago, Ibn Al-Shahid said:

السلام غليكم

I'm not asking if it was made halal for him or not. I'm simply wondering what's the reason for it because it's obviously there to teach us something.

Muhammad,

The name of Abdul-Muttalib,

Had marriages not only to create a stronger bond with the tribes,

But also as guidance,

Most of his women were old,

So physical pleasure gets out,

Most of his women were knowledgeable,

So unconscious mind gets out,

The Prophet was a gift to mankind,

So not a gift to women, also?

14 hours ago, Ibn Al-Shahid said:

السلام غليكم

The Prophet had so many wives because these were women that he saved and whom he took them in to take care of them. Khadijah, his first wife was the one whom he truly loved.