Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Shiachat Sponsored Educational Programs

Abbas.

• Site Administrators
2 minutes ago, Pearl178 said:

I am very much interested in both signing up for this course (always had an interest in psychology) and to help raise funds. 

Good! I don't care how busy you are in your corporate law mumbo jumbo ..... Since you have always been interested in psychology, I am going to make sure that you complete this course... :grin:

• Forum Administrators

:ws:

This is a great idea, I have studied much of this already but am currently occupied with further studies anyway (in this same area).

This would be brilliant for anyone who is interested.

Thank you brother Abbas, may Allah (s.w.t) reward you for your efforts! :)

• Forum Administrators
On 3/28/2017 at 8:48 AM, Abbas. said:

We are willing to sponsor any advanced member with a good track record to complete the following short online course.

https://www.edx.org/course/introduction-clinical-psychology-uqx-psyc1030-3x

@everyone This online course is available to Advanced members at ShiaChat. Check out the link and set a goal for yourself. 

• Site Administrators
On 02/04/2017 at 6:16 AM, ShiaChat Moderator said:

Did anyone sign up for this course? :) 

Nothing official so far. My backup is @Pearl178 although I don't want to burden her with more work... 

@Sindbad05 how about you? You seemed liked you were interested?

There are so many other courses at edx. If a member is interested in something else, we can, of course, change the course..... I picked this one because it is generally good for both personal development and the forum. 

• Moderators

@Abbas. edX had a comparative religions sequence of courses that might interest some users. I am interested in that series, but I didn't have time when it was last offered and it's not self-paced if I remember correctly. 

Most of the MOOCs I'm interested in have no relevance to the forum; astrobiology and astronomy and rocket science and an occasional environmental science or paleontology course. (Also, lately I use mostly Coursera, which is much less rigorous, more relaxed.) 

I really like Coursera for general knowledge, but I don't recommend it for certification unless it really steps up it's game. The certificates aren't going to mean much if they are too easy. 

• Site Administrators
29 minutes ago, notme said:

Most of the MOOCs I'm interested in have no relevance to the forum; astrobiology and astronomy and rocket science and an occasional environmental science or paleontology course. 

Doesn't have to be forum related. So let me know if you find something in there that interests you and is self-paced.... 

Reminder to members: No one has to publicly advise that they are interested. You can contact me via pm. Or if you don't even want me to know about it, send an email to Ali with a link to this post and a subject "Private & Confidential". @Ali

• Development Team

The course says 'FREE Add a Verified Certificate for $99' and thank you to Admins for saying they would pay for this!

What if someone does not want to get the certificate? Can they take the course informally without getting credit? 

• Site Administrators
2 hours ago, wolverine said:

The course says 'FREE Add a Verified Certificate for $99' and thank you to Admins for saying they would pay for this!

What if someone does not want to get the certificate? Can they take the course informally without getting credit? 

Yes. But note that these certificates come from world class universities including Harvard. There are professional certificates too, being offered by Microsoft. 

• Site Administrators
5 minutes ago, Pearl178 said:

Awesome. Thanks for taking the initiative! 

Please enrol and keep us updated with your progress. 

• Forum Administrators

Is it too late to enroll now? What is the cutoff date for a member who would like to take the course? 

• Site Administrators
On 11/04/2017 at 5:20 PM, hameedeh said:

Is it too late to enroll now? What is the cutoff date for a member who would like to take the course? 

Nah, not too late yet. I don't mind taking another member (or family/friend of the member) as long as they are serious and committed. 

• Moderators

I'm finding this course quite thought provoking:

https://www.coursera.org/learn/orbitalperspective/home/welcome

I'll report back whether I recommend certificate.  It's about how to make the world a better place by looking at the big picture. I've just started Week 2.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators
On 4/18/2017 at 1:18 PM, notme said:

I'll report back whether I recommend certificate. 

@Abbas. I'm in week 4, and I highly recommend the course for everyone.  I'm a mega-introvert with severe social anxiety, and it's making even me want to go out and visit my neighbors and start healing the world. But I don't know what the certificate would prove other than that the student passed the exams and wrote the paper.  Real success in this course is it changing your life.  The certificate... it's just a paper that says you passed a class.

• 6 months later...