Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Mansur Bakhtiari

Travel Bucket List

Here's mine.

Quebec city, Canada

Tehran, Iran

Najaf, Iraq

Muscat, Oman

Hanoi, Vietnam (they have cool beaches in Vietnam)

Al Hussein Mosque, Egypt (Inshallah if it is safe)

Paris, France

Amsterdam, Netherlands

Venice, Italy (before it is underwater...)

1 hour ago, Mansur Bakhtiari said:

Venice, Italy (before it is underwater...)

do yourself a favour and go in winter. we went in the height of summer and its no exaggeration that we could smell the place a full 15 minutes before we arrived in Venice. the super romantic canals are the sewage system. think about that lol. glass blowing factory was LEGIT though. 

1 hour ago, DigitalUmmah said:

do yourself a favour and go in winter. we went in the height of summer and its no exaggeration that we could smell the place a full 15 minutes before we arrived in Venice. the super romantic canals are the sewage system. think about that lol. glass blowing factory was LEGIT though. 

I can second this. All the romance I had built up over the years leaked out of me in a matter of hours. And on top of that every European and North American had decided to visit the city exactly on the same dates as I. Yeah, it was crazily overcrowded. It was July after all.

Grand canal offered fine views though. So all was not lost.

1 hour ago, Meesum_Mtl said:

Quebec city! That's an intriguing choice. Any particular reason? Be ready for a lot of french haha.

I speak french

It's a beautiful city

I can drive there in 8 hours

And it seems like a cool place.

2 hours ago, DigitalUmmah said:

I love cold so I would have probably went in the winter anyways lol. Still want to go though.

Just now, Mansur Bakhtiari said:

I love cold so I would have probably went in the winter anyways lol. Still want to go though.

theres a..festival? carnival? in venice I think in february each year. everyone dresses up and wears masks. you should check it out it seems pretty cool. plus theres hardly any tourists at that time of year and the place doesnt stink like a city sized gutter. venice when its snowing is actually beautiful. 

we got lost for approx 4 hours though, dont think that you can walk around deep into the city armed with only a map. stick to taxis/ public transport even though theyre a mega ripoff

On 3/22/2017 at 6:32 AM, Mansur Bakhtiari said:

Hanoi, Vietnam (they have cool beaches in Vietnam)

You can't have a Vietnam beach reference without this:

5-Apocalypse-Now-quotes.jpg

On 3/22/2017 at 6:32 AM, Mansur Bakhtiari said:

Quebec city, Canada

On my list too.

My big ticket items:

Patagonia, Southern Argentina

Machu Piccu, Peru

16 minutes ago, sayed_ar said:

Amsterdam, netherlands !!!!!

I live in amsterdam <3

I booked a cheap room without checking out the hotel's exact location. I just wanted it to be next to Amsterdam train station. I found myself smack bang in the middle of red light district. God, it was embarrassing.

5 minutes ago, Marbles said:

I booked a cheap room without checking out the hotel's exact location. I just wanted it to be next to Amsterdam train station. I found myself smack bang in the middle of red light district. God, it was embarrassing.

bruv.

38 minutes ago, DigitalUmmah said:

bruv.

I know, I know. :(

But the hotel was just five minutes walk from Amsterdam Centraal. I couldn't believe they have this den of debauchery right in the heart of the city. I thought it would be tucked away somewhere in the outskirts or someplace away from the main thoroughfare.

1 hour ago, Marbles said:

We better warn our ulema not to end up there if any travel to amsterdam :hahaha:

3 hours ago, Marbles said:

How dreadfull... A little amusing though (hehee). Hope you werent with family.

Speaking of travel bucket list...

Nepal - to be in the shadow of Mount Everest and see it towering over the skies.

Cuba - to see the miracle of Fidel before it fades away into the pages of history.

Russia - cultural tour of St Petersburg and Moscow.

India - Delhi, Agra and Utter Pradesh in particular.

Uzbekistan - for Samarkand and Bukhara.

Chile - to see the land that inspired someone like Pablo Neruda.

Balkan countries (Bosnia, Serbia, Montenegro, Albania, Macedonia) I have nurtured the desire for a long time but can't seem to find a way to visit those countries.

Just now, DigitalUmmah said:

whats the miracle bro?

It's frozen in time! According to a friend who visited a couple years ago it is like going back 50 years in a time machine.

The hospitals are very advanced though...

1 hour ago, Pearl178 said:

This summer inshaAllah planning to head for the first time to Prague, Budapest and Vienna. Any feedback from anyone whose been is welcome! 

Great places to visit!

Budapest: The city is made up of two parts, Buda and Pest, divided by the River Danube. Buda is hilly and green whereas Pest is flat and more commercial. Try to stay in Buda (the hilly part) which is where the palace and other attractions are located. Buda hills offer excellent vistas. If you stay in Pest, try to be as close as possible to the bridge so you can wander into the hills with a 20 minutes walk whenever you like.

Budapest is known for its scams, so be careful and read up beforehand. Eg, if you take underground/metro trains, you need to punch the tickets before you board the train. If you get on the train without punching your ticket, an official will appear from nowhere and fine you to the tune of € 50 in Hungarian Forints, without giving you a proper receipt. So it goes into their pockets. The corrupt officials know tourists make this mistake and keep an eye on those who board without punching, and fine them in the train. 

There are many gypsy people wandering around busy places. If a gypsy or someone that looks a little ragged approaches you to ask a question or help him with the map etc, it is 100% a setup. Just smile, excuse yourself and say you're in a hurry, and get away with quick steps. (Sorry don't want to scare you, but it's better to be safe than sorry. I was robbed in a similar scenario!)

Prague: It's a great experience, walking around the city as much as you can, from the old quarters to the castle district over the Charles bridge. I have nothing but fond memories of Prague. I can list places you shouldn't miss but any guide book will cover that.

Vienna: Fabulous city rich in culture and history that you wouldn't want to leave it! But while you're there I suggest you take a day trip to Slovakian capital Bratislava. Go by train, leave early and return by evening. It's a nice little city and only 2 hours or so from Budapest. Vienna proper is not scenic so if you've time head deep into the country for the beautiful Alps as seen in movies!

What's your itinerary btw? Going in a group or with family? Travelling independently or with a operator?

@Marbles Thank you so much for that detailed info! Very helpful! I'll be sure to save that post. 

I am going with family (just parents and lil sis). My extended family might join but they haven't confirmed but it's usually just the the four of us. My brothers used to travel with us but they are married now so they no longer join us on summer holidays :(

Budapest sounds the most exciting! The hills that you describe reminded me of Edinburgh (a must visit if you haven't). 

2 hours ago, Pearl178 said:

@Marbles Thank you so much for that detailed info! Very helpful! I'll be sure to save that post. 

I am going with family (just parents and lil sis). My extended family might join but they haven't confirmed but it's usually just the the four of us. My brothers used to travel with us but they are married now so they no longer join us on summer holidays :(

Budapest sounds the most exciting! The hills that you describe reminded me of Edinburgh (a must visit if you haven't). 

That's cool, I wish you a wonderful trip! 

We also used to travel as family but after my two sisters got married they are never free to join us whenever we travel. Life..

I have been to Edinburgh, took part in a poetry competition held in McDonald library, walked the Princess street, seen the Edinburgh castle and the beautiful views from there. 

8 hours ago, Marbles said:

It's a nice little city and only 2 hours or so from Budapest.

Sorry this should be Vienna, not Budapest.