ShiaMan14

World Travel: What Countries have you visited

^Well you must have visited Al Hussein Mosque in Cairo? Just wondering, how is it for Shia in Tanzania? Are Shia like 20% of the population? 

@ali_fatheroforphans Thailand looks so beautiful. I would LOVE to go. I would go to a secluded part of the beach and chill out there. Thailand is right under Iran on my travel bucket list.

52 minutes ago, ali_fatheroforphans said:

Woah you have been to so many.

My list:

-Australia( live here)

- Iran

- Pakistan 

- New Zealand 

- Malaysia 

- Thailand 

Salaam.

I forgot I have been to Cambodia (Siam Reap) and Thailand (Bangkok and Phuket).

Both amazing places.

I am much less well-travelled than y'all.

In chronological order:

Iran

Turkey

USA

Canada

Mexico

UK

Went to Pakistan and UAE as an infant. doesn't count, obviously.

Interested in going pretty much anywhere, except for "Israel," south Korea, and anywhere in western Europe. 

1 hour ago, Mansur Bakhtiari said:

^Well you must have visited Al Hussein Mosque in Cairo?

Probably not, I was only 4, I don't remember it much, I just remember we went on the Nile Cruise.

1 hour ago, Mansur Bakhtiari said:

Just wondering, how is it for Shia in Tanzania? Are Shia like 20% of the population? 

Its great, especially my home city, pretty big community about 15000 Shias. Shias would be about 5-10% of the population, we are 20% of the muslim population, with muslims making up about 40% of the total population. The Sunnis are not sectarian at all for the most part though, they are pretty moderate, not many Salafis, though there are reports that is growing. The American Embassy was attacked in 1998 in a terrorist attack, but these instances are rare. This is one of the Muharram nights at the mosque;

Ashura-Juloos-in-Dar-es-Salaam-2008-120.

Aerial view of the mosque; 

dsc_0042_edit1.jpg?w=768

They have been making a lot of progress with the community I must say, they have built a swimming facility, a gym next to the mosque and they have ladies/gents only access hours too. They also have a tabligh library right across, where they also hold madrasah classes, for the boys it goes up to class 12/13, for girls I think it goes up to class 10/11. When I was still in madrasah, we had classes in Dinyat/Fiqh, Quran, Islamic History, Akhlaq, Arabic and Namaaz/Dua. At some point they also had classes in Aqa'eed, Islam & Science and also Current Affairs. In Ramadhan they also organize a sports festival and they have different sorts of sports, its a great way to socialize with people and play something too, but people tend to get really intense lol. They also have a community school, from kindergarten to secondary, although I personally went to a different school, which also had a lot of Shias too though. The atmosphere is really vibrant in Ramadhan, you have iftar at the graveyard/cemetery and also at the mosque, then you have Quran/Duas at the mosque, then after that everyone goes to play. They also have a place right next to mosque where if you have guests that come by and you cannot host them, they can stay there, at a very reasonable rate and they have pretty much all the amenities you need. 

Edited by Mohamed1993

5 hours ago, Mansur Bakhtiari said:

I would go to a secluded part of the beach and chill out there. Thailand is right under Iran on my travel bucket list.

Secluded part? In Thailand?

Good luck!!

1 minute ago, Pearl178 said:

Can't believe none of you have been to Oman. You guys have no idea what you're missing out on!! Funnily enough whenever I'm abroad and I tell people I'm from here the response I get almost all the time is "What/where is that?." 

What is there to do in Oman?

34 minutes ago, Pearl178 said:

whenever I'm abroad and I tell people I'm from here the response I get almost all the time is "What/where is that?." 

I'm guessing abroad means the West. Oman is not in Daily Doom News so the average Joe wouldn't have an idea where it is located or if it even exists.

Johala....

12 hours ago, Mansur Bakhtiari said:

^Well you must have visited Al Hussein Mosque in Cairo? Just wondering, how is it for Shia in Tanzania? Are Shia like 20% of the population?

@ali_fatheroforphans Thailand looks so beautiful. I would LOVE to go. I would go to a secluded part of the beach and chill out there. Thailand is right under Iran on my travel bucket list.

Thailand is by far one of the most amazing places to visit. I spent 4 weeks out there. Spent 4 nights in the jungle then flew directly to the south and pretty much island hopped away from all the tourist places. It's one place I would recommend to you.

5 hours ago, Pearl178 said:

Can't believe none of you have been to Oman. You guys have no idea what you're missing out on!! Funnily enough whenever I'm abroad and I tell people I'm from here the response I get almost all the time is "What/where is that?."

My brother lived in Oman for about 5 years. All my family went apart from me! He's back in the UK now and I'm still kicking myself for not visiting this beautiful place.

My sisters, brothers and parents went two or three times simply because they fell in love with it. My newphe and niece still reminisce about their days living in Oman. I've seen the pictures of course and it certainly does look magnificent.

2 hours ago, E.L King said:

Wow. So many countries people have visited. Marbles has visited like 10% countries on Earth lol

That's just 23 countries. 22 if you don't count Vatican. This is nothing. I'd love to do 100 before Allah calls me back.

But I have a useless passport which ranks right at the bottom for free travel. So I'm not sure if I can do that. If I had one of those fancy passports most people on here have, I'd have have already doubled my country count by this time.

I'm planning for a trip to Sri Lanka, Malaysia, Singapore, Cambodia/Myanmar, but my uncle is still insisting that I apply for the US visa and go with him, as this was the original plan before stupid Americans voted in Trump. 

I spent 4 months travelling around Europe when I was 17! Visited many countries but mainly canoed down a long river running from Portugal into Spain, camping and sleeping under the stars.

The next year I lived in Malta for about 5 months which was amazing!

11 hours ago, Marbles said:

Secluded part? In Thailand?

Good luck!!

Actually, there are lots and lots of secluded places in Thailand. Some many islands that are almost untouched by man.

On a side note, this is no joke - of all the South Asian countries I have visited, Thailand and specifically Bangkok was the only one where they sold insects of all kinds in a stick for snacking!!!

4 hours ago, Marbles said:

I'm planning for a trip to Sri Lanka, Malaysia, Singapore, Cambodia/Myanmar, but my uncle is still insisting that I apply for the US visa and go with him, as this was the original plan before stupid Americans voted in Trump. 

Sri Lanka is on my list too.

Been to Singapore - need 3 days there.
Been to Cambodia - Siem Reap is awesome. I went to Angkor Wat and also Ta Prohme. Amazing!!!

10 hours ago, Pearl178 said:

I've been to Oman and stayed there for quite some time. It is an amazing place to be in, and the people are great there. Can't help but upload a few snaps! :

The Nizwa Souq :

DSC_0473_zpspmi74mri.jpg

The Nizwa Fort :

DSC_0483_zpsu1tqvbz0.jpg

The beautiful Grand Sultan Qaboos Masjid :

Sultan%20Qaboos%20Masjid%20-%202_zps6fgt

Would love to visit that place again.

10 hours ago, Marbles said:

I'm guessing abroad means the West. Oman is not in Daily Doom News so the average Joe wouldn't have an idea where it is located or if it even exists.

Johala....

I remember there was this one time BBC mentioned Oman can't remember what for. We were ecstatic. And yeah not many know it exists. It's come to the point that one of the tourism companies here wants to sponsor individuals from abroad to come here for a short trip and go around the country and write a blog and publish it on their daily newspaper ... something along those lines.. lol. 

@repenter google is your friend. 

1 hour ago, shiaman14 said:

On a side note, this is no joke - of all the South Asian countries I have visited, Thailand and specifically Bangkok was the only one where they sold insects of all kinds in a stick for snacking!!

Lol yeah. Don't tell me you ate those sea horses on stick sold on street carts...