Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
ShiaChat.com
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Is Islam against celebrating nowroz?

Rate this topic

53 minutes ago, The Light said:

I don't want to turn this into a debate, but it's not fair to say that Shia Islam had Persian influence. What about the Arab shias? A lot of them, might not have a clue about nowroz, so it's just a cultural thing. Even the normal sunnis (non wahhabis), in Afghanistan, which is a majority sunni country (about 80-85%) celebrate nowroz. So are you going to say sunnism had Persian influence?

PS: The religion of the Prophet (saww) is Quran and Ahlulbayt according to mutawatir hadith. Is that a Persian influence too?

The reason I said that is because the other brother claimed that Nawruz had a religious link to it thus justifying their innovation, and it is this link which I am calling Persian influence; if the Arab Shia do not celebrate it, then that is something they should reconcile with their Iranian brothers, because clearly those influenced by Persians (or this brother I was responding to at least) believe that Nawruz has some religious significance. The rest of your post does not need to be responded to as it's besides the point I was making.

Edited by Zamestaneh
  • Forum Administrators
7 minutes ago, Zamestaneh said:

if the Arab Shia do not celebrate it, then that is something they should reconcile with their Iranian brothers

Nowruz is not a Shia holiday. Iraqi and Kurdish people also celebrate Nowruz. 

Just now, hameedeh said:

Nowruz is not a Shia holiday. Iraqi and Kurdish people also celebrate Nowruz. 

You should say this to the brother who claimed it was a Shia holiday :confused:

If you agree that it's not a Shia holiday, then it can be conclusively denounced as immitating the Kuffar and also an innovation

• Forum Administrators
2 minutes ago, Zamestaneh said:

If you agree that it's not a Shia holiday, then it can be conclusively denounced as immitating the Kuffar and also an innovation

Wearing new clothes, cleaning your house, cooking delicious meals, and visiting each other are all recommended acts by Prophet SA and Ahlul Bayt AS. If you eat your soup with a spoon are you imitating kuffar?

3 minutes ago, hameedeh said:

Wearing new clothes, cleaning your house, cooking delicious meals, and visiting each other are all recommended acts by Prophet SA and Ahlul Bayt AS. If you eat your soup with a spoon are you imitating kuffar?

This question is asked from a skewed understanding of 'innovation', I believe. Eating with spoons etc are not religious matters, therefore they are not innovations, as it is just a matter of Dunya making it easier to consume certain types of food. Festivals (like Nawruz) on the other hand are based upon the traditions of the Kuffar and celebrated on specific days (thus unlike the spoon which has a practical use as a tool), and furthermore and more importantly festivals were limited by the Prophet (SAW) in the following Hadith:

Anas (RA) said: When the Messenger of Allah (SAW) came to Madinah, they had two days on which they would play. He said: “What are these two days?” They said: We used to play on these days during the Jaahiliyyah. The Messenger of Allah (SAW) said: “Verily Allah has replaced them for you with something better than them: the day of (Eid) al-Adha and the day of (Eid) al-Fitr.”

Grading: Sahih

Therefore to engange in a specific celebration on a specific day of every year is an innovation, and as Nawruz is from pre-Islamic Persian culture, it is immitation of the Kuffar. No scholar nor Imam can change this ruling after the Prophet (SAW) has made it clear, as Allah says:

"It is not for a believer, man or woman, when Allah and His Messenger have decreed a matter that they should have any option in their decision. And whoever disobeys Allah and His Messenger, he has indeed strayed in a plain error" [33:36]

• Veteran Member
2 hours ago, Zamestaneh said:

This question is asked from a skewed understanding of 'innovation', I believe. Eating with spoons etc are not religious matters, therefore they are not innovations, as it is just a matter of Dunya making it easier to consume certain types of food. Festivals (like Nawruz) on the other hand are based upon the traditions of the Kuffar and celebrated on specific days (thus unlike the spoon which has a practical use as a tool), and furthermore and more importantly festivals were limited by the Prophet (SAW) in the following Hadith:

Anas (RA) said: When the Messenger of Allah (SAW) came to Madinah, they had two days on which they would play. He said: “What are these two days?” They said: We used to play on these days during the Jaahiliyyah. The Messenger of Allah (SAW) said: “Verily Allah has replaced them for you with something better than them: the day of (Eid) al-Adha and the day of (Eid) al-Fitr.”

Grading: Sahih

Therefore to engange in a specific celebration on a specific day of every year is an innovation, and as Nawruz is from pre-Islamic Persian culture, it is immitation of the Kuffar. No scholar nor Imam can change this ruling after the Prophet (SAW) has made it clear, as Allah says:

"It is not for a believer, man or woman, when Allah and His Messenger have decreed a matter that they should have any option in their decision. And whoever disobeys Allah and His Messenger, he has indeed strayed in a plain error" [33:36]

Shia Islam fundamentally allows everything unless it is forbidden. Unless celebrating nawroz is expressly forbidden, it is allowed.

Although, I am getting IMs that only fake Syeds celebrate Nawroz. I am conflicted because I was in Iran last Nawroz and I saw plenty of aalims including senior ones congratulate each other.

I guess I will have to stop from next year to keep my Syed status.

I believe its a good celebration as long as you dont include superstition such as fish in a bowl, 7 Sinn, etc etc. It has no place to believe in such things in islam. I guess its fine if you put it but don't actually believe it has some special powers or does something for you. 

In our house we used to put quran on display, and freshen up the house, buy flowers, make food, give charity etc etc. 

2 hours ago, shiaman14 said:

Shia Islam fundamentally allows everything unless it is forbidden. Unless celebrating nawroz is expressly forbidden, it is allowed.

Although, I am getting IMs that only fake Syeds celebrate Nawroz. I am conflicted because I was in Iran last Nawroz and I saw plenty of aalims including senior ones congratulate each other.

I guess I will have to stop from next year to keep my Syed status.

With regards to Dunya, yes, but anything regarding Deen, no, it is not from Islam until proven, otherwise it becomes an innovation/Haram. As explained in my previous post, only Eid Al Fitr and Eid Al Adha are allowed to be celebrated with all other celebrations e.g. the alleged birthdays of the Prophet (SAW) and the Imams, Nowruz, Eid Al Ghadeer, being innovations or immitation of the Kuffar, as the Hadith of Rasulallah (SAW) clarified. I do not care if the masses are attached to their customs or emotively to the birthdays of these figures, for example, but the Prophet (SAW) is more authoritative than any man, Sayed, scholar, Sunni or Shia, or Imam, and therefore his Sunnah is to be followed, and nothing more is to be put along side it, even if it involves righteous deeds like fasting the day or praying extra Rakaat.

• Veteran Member
48 minutes ago, Zamestaneh said:

With regards to Dunya, yes, but anything regarding Deen, no, it is not from Islam until proven, otherwise it becomes an innovation/Haram. As explained in my previous post, only Eid Al Fitr and Eid Al Adha are allowed to be celebrated with all other celebrations e.g. the alleged birthdays of the Prophet (SAW) and the Imams, Nowruz, Eid Al Ghadeer, being innovations or immitation of the Kuffar, as the Hadith of Rasulallah (SAW) clarified. I do not care if the masses are attached to their customs or emotively to the birthdays of these figures, for example, but the Prophet (SAW) is more authoritative than any man, Sayed, scholar, Sunni or Shia, or Imam, and therefore his Sunnah is to be followed, and nothing more is to be put along side it, even if it involves righteous deeds like fasting the day or praying extra Rakaat.

But celebrating nawroz is a "dunya" thing. So what's the issue?

• Moderators
41 minutes ago, shiaman14 said:

Not talking about you but there are other people who will bring forth arguments to say that celebrating dunya things is cultural and even haram e.g Halloween, Basant ( if you have come across mullahs in Pakistan calling it a Hindu festival and asking for it to be banned) 

@hameedeh Nothing wrong with wearing new clothes or eating soup with a spoon. Its the association of doing these things on a particular day(eating soup with a spoon is not associated with any particular day,is it!). Nowruz is an important Bahai holy day which is celebrated at the end of a month of fasting.

Islamically, there is nothing wrong per se with putting lights and garlands in your home or hanging stockings from the fireplace either but if one does it on Dec 24/25 then he should not say you are doing something that aligns with Islam. 

• Veteran Member
2 hours ago, starlight said:

Not talking about you but there are other people who will bring forth arguments to say that celebrating dunya things is cultural and even haram e.g Halloween, Basant ( if you have come across mullahs in Pakistan calling it a Hindu festival and asking for it to be banned)  

Yeah, I am pretty lax that way. Unless people are confusing any celebration as a religious duty, it is permissible outside of Muharram.

• Veteran Member
7 hours ago, Zamestaneh said:

I have given a clear hadith which clearly shows festivals a restrained by Deen, therefore you cannot argue this.

The hadith does not restrict us to those 2 days ONLY and as such, everything is allowed unless expressly forbidden.

32 minutes ago, shiaman14 said:

The hadith does not restrict us to those 2 days ONLY and as such, everything is allowed unless expressly forbidden.

The Hadith (and other variations of the Hadith which can be found online) clearly show that the festivals of Jahiliyyah have been replaced by the Eids of Al Adha and Al Fitr. Nowruz is a festival of Jahiliyyah. There is no way to justify these innovations without being intellectually disingenuous and wanting to follow one's own desires rather than the guidance of the Prophet (SAW).

As I also said, Nowruz is immitation of the Kuffar (of pre-Islamic Persia):

The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: ‘Whoever imitates a people is one of them'

Grading: Hasan-Sahih

If you fear Allah, then accept this and move on.

Edited by Zamestaneh
1 hour ago, Zamestaneh said:

The Hadith (and other variations of the Hadith which can be found online) clearly show that the festivals of Jahiliyyah have been replaced by the Eids of Al Adha and Al Fitr. Nowruz is a festival of Jahiliyyah. There is no way to justify these innovations without being intellectually disingenuous and wanting to follow one's own desires rather than the guidance of the Prophet (SAW).

As I also said, Nowruz is immitation of the Kuffar (of pre-Islamic Persia):

The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: ‘Whoever imitates a people is one of them'

Grading: Hasan-Sahih

If you fear Allah, then accept this and move on.

Celebrating first day of spring is jahiliyah? You might argue that the way its celebrated is jahil, but the actual occasion is jahil to celebrate? That's odd.....

• Development Team
20 hours ago, shiaman14 said:

Some people don't want anyone to do anything.

A reminder from Imam Ali AS: "Every day in which we do not disobey Allah, that day is eid."

• Moderators
20 hours ago, shiaman14 said:

Exactly.

The Ahlus Sunnah blur the line between actions of ibadah and everything else far too often. As has been mentioned before, for the second category, everything is permissible till proven forbidden.

And it's easy to spot when they try to get around this Prophetic commandment (to be 'more catholic than the pope', in essence)- keywords like "immitating the kuffar" always come up, and the argument is always used in the same predictable way.

They would do well to remember that restricting themselves by inventing non-divine laws is a sunna of the Bani Israeel, and that rejecting a blessing of Allah in the form of what he has allowed for the Muslims, is akin to rejecting that blessing- which is kufr.

• Veteran Member
2 minutes ago, Shaykh Patience101 said:

Exactly.

The Ahlus Sunnah blur the line between actions of ibadah and everything else far too often. As has been mentioned before, for the second category, everything is permissible till proven forbidden.

And it's easy to spot when they try to get around this Prophetic commandment (to be 'more catholic than the pope', in essence)- keywords like "immitating the kuffar" always come up, and the argument is always used in the same predictable way.

They would do well to remember that restricting themselves by inventing non-divine laws is a sunna of the Bani Israeel, and that rejecting a blessing of Allah in the form of what he has allowed for the Muslims, is akin to rejecting that blessing- which is kufr.

42 minutes ago, wolverine said:

Some people don't want anyone to do anything.

A reminder from Imam Ali AS: "Every day in which we do not disobey Allah, that day is eid."

4 hours ago, repenter said:

Celebrating first day of spring is jahiliyah? You might argue that the way its celebrated is jahil, but the actual occasion is jahil to celebrate? That's odd.....

Surely, this will not lead into the Eid-e-Mubahila and Eid-e-Ghadeer being wrong to celebrate discussions as well.