starlight

Curing Mental Illnesses; The Ahlulbayt (as) way

:bismillah:

1.Psychosomatic disorders- Use of cold water

Take a bath with cool water, and especially pour it over the head; Imam Ali (a.s.) says, ‘Whoever has grief that he is unable to identify, let him wash his head. Imam Ali (as) Bihal ur Anwaar 

Caloric vestibular stimulation (CVS) is a technique which has recently been proven as an effective method to treat psychiatric and neurologic disorders(conversion disorder, thalamic syndrome and spinal pain to name a few) In CVS the outer ear is irrigated with cold water. This results in stimulation of the vestibular nerve which goes to the brain and stimulates areas of the higher brain centres which then alleviate the patient's symptoms. 

Conversion disorder is a medical condition in which a person has paralysis, blindness, or other neurological symptoms that cannot be clearly explained physiologically. To date, there is neither specific nor conclusive treatment. In this paper, we draw together a number of disparate pieces of knowledge to propose a novel intervention to provide transient alleviation for this condition. As caloric vestibular stimulation has been demonstrated to modulate a variety of cognitive functions associated with brain activation, especially in the temporal–parietal cortex, anterior cingulate cortex, and insular cortex, there is evidence to assume an effect in specific mental disorders. Therefore, we go on to hypothesize that lateralized cold vestibular caloric stimulation will be effective in treating conversion disorder and we present provisional evidence from one patient that supports this conclusion. If our hypothesis is correct, this will be the first time in psychiatry and neurology that a clinically well-known mental disorder, long considered difficult to understand and to treat, is relieved by a simple or common, non-invasive medical procedure.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4040883/

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/truth-through-cold-water

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18521097

2. Depression-Cure with grapes

Imam Sadiq (‘a) has said: “Nabi Nuh Úáíå ÇáÓáÇã complained to God about feeling sad. Allah
revealed to him, eat of the black grapes for it removes sadness.”          [Makarimul Akhlaq, Vol. 1]

Grapes are rich in a chemical known as "Resveraterol" which has anti depressant properties which are comparable to popular anti depressant medication 'flouxetine'(Prozac). Contrary to what most people are made to believe reseveratrol is found in both red and white grapes.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1110093114000350

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2015-03-resveratrol-depression-related-behaviors-rats.html

3. Grief - get rid of bad smell from clothes and body

Imam Ali (a.s.) says, ‘Washing one’s clothes takes away grief and sorrow.

There is a strong link between odor and emotion and washing the clothes and removing bad smells can bring about a change in the emotional state of a person.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3794443/

4. Melancholy and sadness -Remember Allah.

Imam as-Sadiq (a.s.) says, ‘If grief increases, you should mention “there is no power save in Allah. - Bihar ul Anwaar.

At least two randomized clinical trials have found that psychotherapy supplemented with teachings from the Koran and Islamic prayer was effective in treating depression and bereavement among religious Muslims in Malaysia, compared to traditional therapy.

http://www.karger.com/Article/Abstract/288954

"Verily, in the remembrance of Allah, do hearts find rest''.    Quran 13:28

Recitation of the verses of the Holy Quran even without understanding the meaning leads to an increase in the Alpha waves in the brain. Alpha electrical activity in the brain is indicative of relaxed and restful awareness. 

The raw data from  both conditions were analyzed to determine any brain wave changes  from different bands. During Al-Quran recitation (withoutunderstanding), the highest amplitude of the power spectrum distribution was observed in Delta at the Frontal area (F1, F2, F4, F7 and F8), and Beta2 and Gamma on EEG, predominantly in the T3, T4 and T5 area. On the other hand, reading with Malay translation indicated a highest amplitude at the T3, T4 and T5 area. From earlier studies, we may conclude that the resting state of mind can be achieved by increasing the alpha band of EEG signal; however in this study, observations were made on the dominant wave frequencies while reciting Quran without understanding and with understanding the meaning of the verses read. 

http://ojie.um.edu.my/filebank/published_article/8893/Final_9 ZH.pdf

http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/7478752/?reload=true

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/scienceonreligion/2012/05/muslim-prayer-may-increase-alpha-waves-in-the-brain/

Edited by starlight

@starlight thanks for the thread sister... that's what i have been trying to tell people. If you really follow ahlulabyt(aS) ways it will cure your mental illnesses.... 

But people need science to prove it even though science itself hasn't evolved to that level yet...

Edited by Struggling_onn

Reading posts like these makes me want to cry with frustration, because (according to my mother), the fake caliphs before and after Imam Ali destroyed so many real ahadith and replaced them with fabricated ones. I sometimes wonder if the cure for cancer was in one of them. So much Divine knowledge, destroyed! 

But thank you starlight for your research and comprehensive post. I learn new things everyday from ShiaChat :)

وعنه ، عن أحمد بن محمد بن عيسى ، عن القاسم بن يحيى ، عن جده الحسن بن راشد ، عن أبي بصير ، عن أبي عبدالله ( عليه السلام ) قال : قال أمير المؤمنين ( عليه السلام ) : الدهن يلين البشرة ، ويزيد في الدماغ ، ويسهل مجاري الماء ، ويذهب القشف ، ويسفر اللون.

Imam `Ali عليه السلام said, "Ointment softens the skin, increases in the brain, eases the stream of fluids, takes away coarseness of skin, and brightens the colour."

الحسن بن الفضل الطبرسي في ( مكارم الأخلاق ) قال : كان النبي ( صلى الله عليه وآله ) يحب الدهن ويكره الشعث ، ويقول : إن الدهن يذهب البؤس ، وكان يدهن بأصناف من الدهن ، وكان إذا ادهن بدأ برأسه ولحيته ، ويقول : إن الرأس قبل اللحية ، وكان ( صلى الله عليه وآله ) يدهن بالبنفسج ، ويقول : هو أفضل الأدهان ، وكان ( صلى الله عليه وآله ) إذا ادهن بدأ بحاجبيه ، ثم شاربيه ، ثم يدخل في أنفه ويشمه ، ثم يدهن رأسه ، وكان يدهن حاجبيه من الصداع ، ويدهن شاربيه بدهن سوى دهن لحيته.

The Prophet صلى الله عليه وآله used to love ointment and dislike dishevelment, and he would say, "Ointment removes misery." And he would anoint with (different) types of ointment. When he anointed, he began with his head and his beard, and he would say, "The head is before the beard." And he صلى الله عليه وآله used to anoint with violet. And he would say, "It is the best of ointments." When he صلى الله عليه وآله anointed, he began with his eyebrows, then his mustache, then he would enter into his nose and smell it, then he would anoint his head. And he would anoint his eyebrows from the headache, and anoint his mustache with ointment equal to the ointment of his beard.

Lavendar oil helps your body produce antioxidants, which fight toxins and pollutants in your body.
It prevents your body from increasing its blood glucose levels.
It prevents liver and kidney dysfuncton.
It alleviates migraines, anxiety, sleep disturbance, depression, trauma, and postpartum disorder.
It reduces the development of Alzheimer's disease.
It fights bacterial and fungal disorders.
It speeds the healing of burns, cuts, scr-apes, sores, and wounds.

Salam guys

There are many ahadith saying that if you are in distress go to Qom. That is interpreted by my family as for mental distress, I am unsure but I would get a LOT off ny mind to go to any holy place.

From Kamaluddin it is reported: "Pray for the return of the Mahdi, for in it is your salvation." That could also help people suffering from depression.

For hard-heartedness it many hadith it is mentioned that music, over-eating, hunting and frequenting the sultan, among other thing harden the heart, so you should avoid those too.

Salaam, I remember I was waiting for a doctors appointment one day and was listening to Quran just up to the time I got called in. One of the first things they do is check blood pressure. Normally, my blood pressure is low, around 107/90, but this time it was 95/70! Its never been that low before! 

There is a difference between sadness and depression. 

Depression is feeling sadness differently with an intensity and prolonged feeling for weeks and months. Depression is a state you're in without a break. Some people who are depressed can't even access their emotions like they used to, while others become emotional and have severe crying spells.

sadness goes away after a few days. Depression sometimes lifts after years or not at all until you receive psychiatric treatment.

Depression leads to suicidal thoughts. Sadness will never lead to suicidal thoughts. 

Edited by Islandsandmirrors

The Ahlul Bayt was talking about the feelings of sadness, not depression.

Mark 24:58

The placebo effect

"Simple fact is this drugs like Prozac in labratory tests, are no better than a sugar pill."

Pharmacuetical drugs kill over 300,000 people a year.

1 hour ago, Laayla said:

Mark 24:58

The placebo effect

"Simple fact is this drugs like Prozac in labratory tests, are no better than a sugar pill."

Pharmacuetical drugs kill over 300,000 people a year.

It is usually hard to know if a drug has actually killed someone as you have no control situation to compare it to, but drugs can be harmful and are being administered way too often, especially by too many physicians who have limited education in pharmaceuticals. 

I don't know if I would ever refer to Prozac as being in any way similar to a sugar pill in any circumstance.  It has caused an increase in suicidal ideation to the point where it is considered unsafe to administer, to adolescents in particular. Many drugs have adverse reactions but this one has been documented as being pretty significant.  

A much better alternative for mild to moderate depression is St John's wort.  It has been very effective and with few adverse reactions, esp for adolescents.

It can have adverse reaction though so should the patient should be monitored.

Herbal remedies can be potent and even though they are quite safe, they should never be dismissed as being safe for everyone.  

Anyone can be allergic to any herb.  Also, mixing herbs with medications can lead to issues.

Another area that does not seem to be addressed as part of natural remedies is  is the effectiveness of exercise.  It does not have to be wild kick boxing!  .. just getting someone to walk around the block every evening for 20 minutes can have an enormous effect on mood and ability to cope with mental and disorders.  Our grandparents and on back, use to walk many kilometres a day out of necessity and thought nothing of it. 

Edited by Maryaam