Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Rate this topic

Salaam alaikum,

I accidentally drank coke with rum in it and I don't know what to do. I had no clue whatsoever and thought that my mom and brother were joking. Didn't notice anything alcoholic in taste, only thing was the taste of coke and and harsh,slightly medicinal tasting aftertaste. I feel like an idiot for letting my guard down.

Islamically speaking, in terms of fiqh, what must I do? Please help me out.

12 minutes ago, Gaius I. Caesar said:

Salaam alaikum,

I accidentally drank coke with rum in it and I don't know what to do. I had no clue whatsoever and thought that my mom and brother were joking. Didn't notice anything alcoholic in taste, only thing was the taste of coke and and harsh,slightly medicinal tasting aftertaste. I feel like an idiot for letting my guard down.

Islamically speaking, in terms of fiqh, what must I do? Please help me out.

Alaykum Salam 

Probably wash your mouth first cause it's najis now you drank an alcoholic beverage if I'm understanding correctly. Put your lips and stuff under the sink if you can and try to rinse out what you have. 

After your fine cause you did this on accident throw the bevarage away even if there is still some content left inside or a lot for that matter just dump it in the trash.

and your done.

Edited by Al Hadi

Just now, hameedeh said:

Salam. This is really sad that your relatives did this to you. They should respect your Islamic belief of not drinking alcohol. From now on, you need to get your own drink and do not allow them to serve you something. I pray that you are able to move into your own place. 

It was an accident, my mother forgot and felt bad after that. Insha'Allah, I am considering finding a Muslim roommate, but again,I don't know anybody outside of SC and I don't feel comfortable living with Sunnis either. The line between Sunnis and Salafis is way too blurry for me.

5 hours ago, ali_fatheroforphans said:

You shouldn't be drinking coke anyways (unless you want diabetes).

I drink it in moderation, Ali, if I drank it all the time then I would have reason to worry about diabetes. Thanks but no thanks for the unwanted health tip.

Like others have said, you're fine. There is no sin upon you, just make sure you wash out your mouth. 

This topic is in Islamic Laws and Jurisprudence and a very serious issue. I am shocked at the frivolous replies. Off-topic posts were removed. 

Guest silasun

Don't worry to much about completely accidental sins (but take steps so that you don't do them again by accident). Sheikh Mansour Leghai answered a similar question recently:

Question:

I recently had a nice conversation with a few brothers regarding the topic of haram (forbidden) food and its effects on consumers.

Furthermore, there is hadith which explain that haram food consumption results in deprivation of the acceptance of dua (supplications) for 40 days.

The Prophet (s) said: “The prayers of whoever eats one bite of a forbidden meal shall not be accepted for forty nights and his calls and supplications shall not be recognized for forty days. Flesh grown from a forbidden meal deserves to be burnt in Fire.” – Safinat ul-Bihar, v.1, p.24

However, my question is: how is it possible if a momin (who has full knowledge of haram and halal food and always remains cautious about what he consumes) somehow by pure mistake consumes haram food and due to just that mistake Allah deprives him from the recognition of duas?

How can Allah deprive a momin from his weapon (as in Dua Kumayl) in this wilderness just because of one mistake?

Is this considered Justice?

Answer:

Such discussions with the brothers are very healthy and God willing shall lead to more Islamic education.

Please consider the following points in answer to your question:

1. That hadith you cited is for those who eat haram food deliberately, not mistakenly or unknowingly.

2. Although sinning does inevitably have such side effects, such narrations are more to deter people – especially believers who care about their Salat and Du’a.

3. When a sin is committed deliberately it should not be regarded minor, rather, we should consider the Great God we have disobeyed. Thus, it is only just that he will be punished greatly for his audacity. A man asked Imam Sadiq (a.s) about a mouse that had dropped dead in his big pot of food? The holy Imam Said: He should not consume that food anymore. The man said: That’s too much for a small animal! The Imam replied: Don’t look at the size of the animal, look at the Greatness of your Creator if you disobey Him over a pot of food!

Similarly, the Holy Prophet (s) said to Abudar: ‘O Abudar! Don’t ever look at a minor sin, rather look at the Greatness of the One you disobeyed.” (Al-Amali, Tousi, p.528)

4. There is also a continuation to the Hadith you quoted on the negative effect of haram food, which says: “And whoever eats one morsel of Halal food, the Almighty God will illuminate his heart.”

Answered by: Sheikh Mansour Leghaei

Guest silasun
15 hours ago, Gaius I. Caesar said:

It was an accident, my mother forgot and felt bad after that. Insha'Allah, I am considering finding a Muslim roommate, but again,I don't know anybody outside of SC and I don't feel comfortable living with Sunnis either. The line between Sunnis and Salafis is way too blurry for me.

You don't necessarily need to live with Muslims if your faith isn't affected by the place that you live in at the moment. Your mother doesn't sound like somebody who has a hatred of Islam and Muslims. Make sure that you do your very best to serve her in every way you can - a way which involves more effort and love than you might have given before you became Muslim.

That way her heart will turn even more towards you (I say more because every mother would sacrifice their life for their kids) and your faith. There is a very beautiful tradition that is quoted by Ayatollah Dastgheib in Greater Sins:

Zakaria, the son of Ibrahīm, was a Christian. Later he converted to Islam and had the honour of meeting Imam Ja’far as-Sadiq (a.s.). He told Imam (a.s.) “My mother is a Christian and she is old and blind.” The Imam advised him,

“Serve your mother and behave kindly towards her. Upon her death, do not leave her dead body to others. Perform her funeral rites yourself.”

Thus this statement of the Imam (a.s.) is pregnant with two prophecies. Her death, and her conversion to Islam.

When Zakaria returned to Kufa he began to behave very kindly with his mother. He fed her with his own hands. Changed her clothes, washed and bathed her too. In short, he served his mother in every possible way. His mother asked, “My son you were not so dutiful when you were a Christian. Why is it that now you serve me day and night?”

Zakaria replied, “O my mother. I have a master who is the son of the Prophet of Allah (S). He advised me to serve you in this way.” The mother asked, “Is he a prophet?” “No. But he is a son of the Prophet (S).” “Such a person must be a Prophet because only prophets teach such manners.” The mother remarked.

Zakaria explained to his mother, “The chain of the Prophets came to an end with the Prophet of Islam (S). He was the seal of the Prophets. The one who has guided me is the son of the Prophet (S).” The mother said, “My son, the religion of Islam that you have embraced is better than all the religions. Teach me, so that I too may become a Muslim.”

So, Zakaria made her recite the ‘Kalima’ and taught her the true beliefs. Later, this lady performed the Zohrain and the Maghrebain prayers. The same night death approached her. She told her son: “Dear son, repeat to me again whatever you have taught me.” Zakaria began to recite while she listened carefully and in this way she passed away.