Jump to content
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
ShiaChat.com
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Is Islam proveable or based on personal belief?

Rate this topic


Recommended Posts

  • Advanced Member

Is Islam able to be proved or is it based on personal belief? I mean if one is able to know (like one knows they exist or that they are 33 years old or their gender) that Islam is truth or is it based on personal belief?

What are the main proofs which are enough to prove Islam for anyone?

I am Christian and am sincerely wondering.

Thank you

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderators

There is never proof, only evidence.

How could there be proof? You can't prove Christianity either. You can provide evidence for the existence of a creator. You can provide evidence of a consistent message over all time. But no proof.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Islam is a system of laws with which one lives their life. judge the religion by its laws and their relevance at the time of the prophet (S), 500 years after, in current times and in the future. if its "true", then the laws work no matter where or when you live. if it isn't, they don't. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Advanced Member

Every religion you take has some characteristics which is similar to certain other religions, and we therefore need something in common which can falsify many religions, leaving us with a true one. You really need to believe that there is this one true religion and it is just about comming up with the right conclusion.

Firstly there is a common misconception regarding the whole defintion of god in so many religions and the object of worship. Different religions do have this concept of god(which suggests that there was a creator) but unfortunately it is all distorted. Take buddha for example, he was a great humanitarian no doubt and never suggested that he was god or is an object of worhsip. Now you see buddhist worshiping him and ascribing his nature to Allah. Take jesus for example, he was a prophet and never explicitly claimed to be god, but we see so many Christians taking him as gods son. Hindu people create god themselves(statues of elephants and other things) and order people for it to be worshipped (ie using statues to create gods image or likeness).

Even if you look in some countries like Australia, the aboriginal's religion is that they take the land and say that it is their spirit and identity. My point is that it becomes so obvious when a religion is false that people start developing their own ideas and theories. 

The Jews of israel before Quran was revealed use to hide certain stories and distort verses (out of jealousy) which is confirmed by the quran.

And now we have Islam which had always been there but came 14th centuries ago exposing so many religions and ending all these baseless myths. Quran had condemned so many traditions people use to follow from their forefather. Islam gave a simple message: Worship one god and the god who created you. God has no partners and is independent of everything. If we could point to god than that would not be god in the first place. We cannot assign any attributes to god.

There is enough proof that islam is true, you just need to be open-minded and think. Islam is for humanity and caters for us in every aspect from teaching us that there is one god to treating neighbors with kindness. Islam deals with society as well and not just our personal spiritual needs. Quran had amazing verses relating to science which a man 14th centuries ago could of never figured out. Quran is the book which has no contradictions and flows in a perfect way from start to end.

You worship not besides Him except [mere] names you have named them, you and your fathers, for which Allah has sent down no authority. Legislation is not but for Allah . He has commanded that you worship not except Him. That is the correct religion, but most of the people do not know.(Quran12:40)

Yeah so Islam is the truth but majortity of the people don't know. This is enough proof.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Forum Administrators

If something is the truth, it's not contingent on "proof" to be truth. Its self evident and self validating, in no need of external derivation. Truth is truth because it is. 

Proof is only a mechanism we use to justify acceptance of truth. We need proof to accept truth, however the "truth" does not need it to accept itself. By definition, truth is self accepting. 

Edited by magma
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Basic Members

You really can't prove anything just like all other religions. There's lots of miracles that prove Islam is the truth though. I remember this story about a guy from my village in south Lebanon, he had 3 kids and they all died at an early age... his wife got pregnant again and he we was afraid his new kid would die as well so he decided to go to a marjaa (High ranking cleric), and asked him what he should do about it. The marjaa told him to give all his future children animal names. He had 2 more kids and he named them Nimr (Tiger) and Assad (Lion). Now they are healthy and all grown up mashallah.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Advanced Member
On 3/16/2017 at 9:43 PM, Hussein04 said:

You really can't prove anything just like all other religions. There's lots of miracles that prove Islam is the truth though. I remember this story about a guy from my village in south Lebanon, he had 3 kids and they all died at an early age... his wife got pregnant again and he we was afraid his new kid would die as well so he decided to go to a marjaa (High ranking cleric), and asked him what he should do about it. The marjaa told him to give all his future children animal names. He had 2 more kids and he named them Nimr (Tiger) and Assad (Lion). Now they are healthy and all grown up mashallah.

Even if it were true that doesn't prove anything. 

In fact if someone were to "accept" Islam based on such a "miracle" I really doubt God would be pleased.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Some Sunni books and all Sunni Da'is (callers to faith) place great importance on explaining the core evidence and logic behind the truth of Islam and how other religions are false. If you have specific questions about Islam, or perhaps you want to know the Islamic refutations of Christian beliefs (as you are a Christian), these can be found quite easily online and in debate videos with Christians. There are not as many Shia resources on these topics however, as the Shia mainly focus on converting Sunni Muslims, though that does not necessarily mean there is nothing from them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Veteran Member
On 3/15/2017 at 1:03 PM, DigitalUmmah said:

Islam is a system of laws with which one lives their life. judge the religion by its laws and their relevance at the time of the prophet (S), 500 years after, in current times and in the future. if its "true", then the laws work no matter where or when you live. if it isn't, they don't. 

Do you think the laws are eternal? or their principles?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Veteran Member
1 hour ago, DigitalUmmah said:

The laws, with conditions eg in the presence of a Masum (as)

Do you think the laws are not just the principles applied for the time?

Then the laws are not sacred, but the principles are. This explains why each God given religion has slightly different laws, but the principle behind them is the same.

If we take your assumption to be true, then the laws are arbitrary and there is no underlying principle, and each time a law has changed, it is because God has changed his mind?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member
On 2017-03-15 at 2:43 PM, ali_fatheroforphans said:

Legislation is not but for Allah. He has commanded that you worship not except Him. That is the correct religion, but most of the people do not know.(Quran12:40)

Yeah so Islam is the truth but majortity of the people don't know. This is enough proof.

Thank you brother. I wonder if people are able to know basic morality but I geuss laws for society only Allah knows and is that so?

 

Edited by sefket83
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Advanced Member
On ‎2017‎-‎03‎-‎15 at 1:35 PM, notme said:

There is never proof, only evidence.

How could there be proof? You can't prove Christianity either. You can provide evidence for the existence of a creator. You can provide evidence of a consistent message over all time. But no proof.

What difference is between proof and evidence?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Advanced Member
On 2017-03-17 at 0:36 AM, magma said:

If something is the truth, it's not contingent on "proof" to be truth. Its self evident and self validating, in no need of external derivation. Truth is truth because it is. 

Proof is only a mechanism we use to justify acceptance of truth. We need proof to accept truth, however the "truth" does not need it to accept itself. By definition, truth is self accepting. 

That is truth. I believe Muhammad (a.s) was in heaven and spoke with angels but I do not know how he knew this other then that I trust his judgment because he was a man accomplished in all fields of life and always righteous and sincere which is a clear sign that he used his intellect to his out most. Of course Christians say he was never in real heaven it was a hoax but how can we prove to them otherwise? They might say that his reason was sound in everything but not in spiritual matters but then again what proof do we muslims have that his reason was sound even in spiritual matters?

Please help

Edited by sefket83
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderators
1 hour ago, sefket83 said:

Is evidence not irrefutable also if one is truthful?

Evidence is not irrefutable. Different people might reach different conclusions from the same evidence. For example some people see evolution as "proof" of the absence of a creator, while others see evolution as a mechanism of creation. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...