Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
ShiaChat.com
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

is smoking haram?

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

I won't classify it as harram just because it does harm to your body because in that case there will be a list so many other things we can label harram. What about good old pepsi? It contains so much sugar which is not good for your health as well. But a wise person would never smoke in the first place.

Alcohol is harram because it makes you lose your conciousness.

Edited by ali_fatheroforphans
  • Moderators
12 minutes ago, ali_fatheroforphans said:

I won't classify it as harram just because it does harm to your body because in that case there will be a list so many other things we can label harram. What about good old pepsi? It contains so much sugar which is not good for your health as well. But a wise person would never smoke in the first place.

Alcohol is harram because it makes you lose your conciousness.

I don't think drinking pepsi once like every week does considerable harm to your body. But what about someone who has been smoking for years?

Anything that is causing you harm and addiction is haram. Smoking if you are weak will cause addiction and in the long run will cause harm. I believe more and more marjas will regard it as haram as science proves how harmful it is.

Characters such as Ayatollah Khoei and Ayatollah Khamenei used to smoke. I'm not sure if Ayat.Khoei stopped, but Ayat.khamenei stopped smoking pipes a long time ago.

• Moderators
19 hours ago, repenter said:

Anything that is causing you harm and addiction is haram. Smoking if you are weak will cause addiction and in the long run will cause harm. I believe more and more marjas will regard it as haram as science proves how harmful it is.

Characters such as Ayatollah Khoei and Ayatollah Khamenei used to smoke. I'm not sure if Ayat.Khoei stopped, but Ayat.khamenei stopped smoking pipes a long time ago.

You're right I believe it does cause considerable harm to your body in the long run and makes it completely haram. The question is why are so many people still doing it including religious people and even scholars, when they know it's haram among the marjas? Does their addiction cause them to be careless?

• Advanced Member

Assalamu alaikum 

I also think it's haram because it is addictive and harmfull same as alcohol and drugs. Basically it effects ourselves in a similar way alcohol or drugs might effect us...

La ilahe ilallah wa Muhammadan rasulullah wa Aliyan waliullah Ya Ali

:) there is lot of carbon monoxide in the atmosphere, lot of hazardous industrial & commercial emmitions in the atmosphere which are causing green-house effect, causing serious harm to our body & environment in long run.

So respiration in such atmosphere is haram? And making & running such equipment or industries is haram?

Hydrazine hydrate, a hazardous chemical which can cause cancer, is used in various rocket fuels. 

The same hydrazine hydrate is also present in tobacco smoke.

So if you're suggesting to impose ban on smoking, you should also consider to suggest ban on rocket fuels which contain hydrazine.

• Moderators
39 minutes ago, Engineer73 said:

Hydrazine hydrate, a hazardous chemical which can cause cancer, is used in various rocket fuels. 

The same hydrazine hydrate is also present in tobacco smoke.

So if you're suggesting to impose ban on smoking, you should also consider to suggest ban on rocket fuels which contain hydrazine.

Rocket fuel does not effect the human unless consumed or smelled, and when the fuel is used it dissolves into the atmosphere, in other words it doesn't cause harm to us. 

However a cigarette contains over 7000 different chemicals that are harmful. Each cigarette you smoke causes all these chemicals to dissolve in your body, in other words your doing considerable harm to yourself.

• Moderators
54 minutes ago, Engineer73 said:

:) there is lot of carbon monoxide in the atmosphere, lot of hazardous industrial & commercial emmitions in the atmosphere which are causing green-house effect, causing serious harm to our body & environment in long run.

So respiration in such atmosphere is haram? And making & running such equipment or industries is haram?

Yes but these gases only effect the earth, not our health. Even if they do effect our health in some way, it's not significant enough to seriously harm our bodies.

1 hour ago, Hassan- said:

Yes but these gases only effect the earth, not our health. Even if they do effect our health in some way, it's not significant enough to seriously harm our bodies.

Motor vehicle emissions contribute to air pollution and are a major ingredient in the creation of smog in some large cities. A 2013 study by MIT indicates that 53,000 early deaths occur per year in the United States alone because of vehicle emissions.[2] According to another study from the same university, traffic fumes alone cause the death of 5,000 people every year just in the United Kingdom.[3] (Source: Wikipedia)

• Moderators
9 hours ago, Engineer73 said:

Motor vehicle emissions contribute to air pollution and are a major ingredient in the creation of smog in some large cities. A 2013 study by MIT indicates that 53,000 early deaths occur per year in the United States alone because of vehicle emissions.[2] According to another study from the same university, traffic fumes alone cause the death of 5,000 people every year just in the United Kingdom.[3] (Source: Wikipedia)

Yes but you can't compare that to smoking. Smoking is a lot worse and much more poisonous then vehicle immisions. "Cigarette smoking is responsible for more than 480,000 deaths per year in the United States, including more than 41,000 deathsresulting from secondhand smoke exposure. This is about one in five deaths annually, or 1,300 deaths every day. On average, smokers die 10 years earlier than nonsmokers."

1 hour ago, Hassan- said:

Yes but you can't compare that to smoking. Smoking is a lot worse and much more poisonous then vehicle immisions. "Cigarette smoking is responsible for more than 480,000 deaths per year in the United States, including more than 41,000 deathsresulting from secondhand smoke exposure. This is about one in five deaths annually, or 1,300 deaths every day. On average, smokers die 10 years earlier than nonsmokers."

I know about the bad effects of smoking on our respiratory & circulatory systems, but is it sufficient to declare it haram? If this becomes the rule of business, you need to daclare many things haram.

Sprying pesticides on crops, urea, chicken farming etc... almost everything developed by humans has bad effects on human health. 

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Engineer73 said:

I know about the bad effects of smoking on our respiratory & circulatory systems, but is it sufficient to declare it haram? If this becomes the rule of business, you need to daclare many things haram.

Sprying pesticides on crops, urea, chicken farming etc... almost everything developed by humans has bad effects on human health. 

A lot of things can cause harm to humans you're right, but what the marjas say is anything that causes considerable harm to your body is haram. Smoking causes considerable harm, which should be haram.

• Veteran Member

Smoking leads to disease and disability and harms nearly every organ of the body.1

• More than 16 million Americans are living with a disease caused by smoking.
  • For every person who dies because of smoking, at least 30 people live with a serious smoking-related illness.
  • Smoking causes cancer, heart disease, stroke, lung diseases, diabetes, and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), which includes emphysema and chronic bronchitis.
  • Smoking also increases risk for tuberculosis, certain eye diseases, and problems of the immune system, including rheumatoid arthritis.
  • Smoking is a known cause of erectile dysfunction in males.

Smoking is the leading cause of preventable death.

• Worldwide, tobacco use causes nearly 6 million deaths per year, and current trends show that tobacco use will cause more than 8 million deaths annually by 2030.2
  • Cigarette smoking is responsible for more than 480,000 deaths per year in the United States, including more than 41,000 deaths resulting from secondhand smoke exposure. This is about one in five deaths annually, or 1,300 deaths every day.1
  • On average, smokers die 10 years earlier than nonsmokers.3
  • If smoking continues at the current rate among U.S. youth, 5.6 million of today’s Americans younger than 18 years of age are expected to die prematurely from a smoking-related illness. This represents about one in every 13 Americans aged 17 years or younger who are alive today.1

https://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_statistics/fact_sheets/fast_facts/

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For the record - smoking kills more people per year than tatibr...so there is that.

Relax everyone - I am just kidding.

• Advanced Member

it must be haram to poison yourself, The horrible thing is my mind is a little less as toxic as the chemicals in smokes. i feel trauma at the thought of not smoking because it blocks all of my trauma out i don't usually like smoking, i hate it but what happens is it dulls me out a horrible mindset, me and life are not good friends these days, Smoking is very dirty and because of how addictive it is it shouldn't be halal, but i smoke,

• Moderators
1 minute ago, MuslimyMuslim said:

it must be haram to poison yourself, The horrible thing is my mind is a little less as toxic as the chemicals in smokes. i feel trauma at the thought of not smoking because it blocks all of my trauma out i don't usually like smoking, i hate it but what happens is it dulls me out a horrible mindset, me and life are not good friends these days, Smoking is very dirty and because of how addictive it is it shouldn't be halal, but i smoke,

Most smokers hate smoking aswell, but are too addicted to stop. But there are many people out there that stopped it, and if millions of people can do it than you can too brother. I'm not saying you should stop immediately, but every month put an effort to smoke less and less cigarettes until you make the last step into not smoking at all. It wont feel that hard if you do it that way. In the end though I can't be the one giving you advice because I've never smoked before so I don't know the feeling.

• Advanced Member
7 hours ago, Hassan- said:

Most smokers hate smoking aswell, but are too addicted to stop. But there are many people out there that stopped it, and if millions of people can do it than you can too brother. I'm not saying you should stop immediately, but every month put an effort to smoke less and less cigarettes until you make the last step into not smoking at all. It wont feel that hard if you do it that way. In the end though I can't be the one giving you advice because I've never smoked before so I don't know the feeling.

I quit two months ago with one week of patches.

tobacco is likely not haram for the same reasons it is still legal in the us, it makes lots of money :)

• Moderators
14 hours ago, Shandor said:

I quit two months ago with one week of patches.

tobacco is likely not haram for the same reasons it is still legal in the us, it makes lots of money :)

That's great to hear brother, congratz.

I think the marjas are too silent on this subject, and they should speak out to their followers that smoke and tell them it's haram.

• Veteran Member

To compound this debate - do cigarettes have intoxicants in them? The quran forbids intoxicants so marijuana would be harm.

But if cigarettes are not intoxicants but only addictive, then would there be any religious basis for declaring them haram? Perhaps that is why the marajae are quiet on this matter.

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators
On 2017-3-30 at 0:51 PM, shiaman14 said:

To compound this debate - do cigarettes have intoxicants in them? The quran forbids intoxicants so marijuana would be harm.

But if cigarettes are not intoxicants but only addictive, then would there be any religious basis for declaring them haram? Perhaps that is why the marajae are quiet on this matter.

Intoxicants isn't the only criterion in determining if smoking is permissible or not. There are other conditions you must follow also. The maraji' made it clear to everyone that anything [smoking, food, liquid, medicine and etc.] that causes considerable harm to your body is impermissible. The maraji' do not go into detail, they won't specifically tell you 'smoking is haram', they just give you a generalized answer and let the person himself judge what causes considerable harm or not. It's similar to music, the maraji' will tell you music used for amusement gatherings is haram, but won't go into further detail and tell you which music is used for amusement gatherings. 

I believe if you want to determine if smoking causes considerable harm to people, just ask the doctors [who are the professionals in this field]. I believe most doctors if not all will agree that smoking indeed does cause considerable harm to people.

Edited by Hassan-
On 5/20/2017 at 11:27 AM, Hassan- said:

Intoxicants isn't the only criterion in determining if smoking is permissible or not. There are other conditions you must follow also. The maraji' made it clear to everyone that anything [smoking, food, liquid, medicine and etc.] that causes considerable harm to your body is impermissible. The maraji' do not go into detail, they won't specifically tell you 'smoking is haram', they just give you a generalized answer and let the person himself judge what causes considerable harm or not. It's similar to music, the maraji' will tell you music used for amusement gatherings is haram, but won't go into further detail and tell you which music is used for amusement gatherings. 

I believe if you want to determine if smoking causes considerable harm to people, just ask the doctors [who are the professionals in this field]. I believe most doctors if not all will agree that smoking indeed does cause considerable harm to people.

yes smoking causes harm but backbiting, doing Riyah, and unhealthy eating also cause harm so that isn't the criteria to distinguish. Smoking is not an intoxicant and can be used for good if it helps one to relax and meditate. There were many Ayatollahs who used to smoke and they stopped once they made Hijra because Hijra is a cure for many problems. People are human and have weaknesses and to make everything forbidden and haram will be harmful in itself. 

• Moderators
16 minutes ago, Junior said:

yes smoking causes harm but backbiting, doing Riyah, and unhealthy eating also cause harm

Backbiting and riyah harms you in the spiritual sense, not physically. Eating unhealthy food does not do considerable harm to your body, you can't compare it with smoking where 1 in 5 deaths in America is because of it.

18 minutes ago, Junior said:

Smoking is not an intoxicant and can be used for good if it helps one to relax and meditate.

I'm not sure how smoking helps you meditate, but if it helps you relax than that's solely because of the bad addiction they have for it. Just because it helps you relax, it doesn't necessarily mean it's good for you unless it's prescribed by your doctor. Their addiction plays with their mind and makes them think it relaxes them so they can have more of it. Doctors sometimes prescribe cancer patients to smoke marijuana because it helps reduce their pain, which is fine as long as it's being used for medical reasons. But if someone wants to relax, there are better and healthier methods in doing it than smoking, same goes with meditation.

30 minutes ago, Junior said:

People are human and have weaknesses and to make everything forbidden and haram will be harmful in itself. 

No one is making everything forbidden. Our maraji' forbid anything that causes considerable harm to your body. If you think smoking has some good benefits, just know that its bad heavily outweighs its good. 

40 minutes ago, Hassan- said:

Backbiting and riyah harms you in the spiritual sense, not physically. Eating unhealthy food does not do considerable harm to your body, you can't compare it with smoking where 1 in 5 deaths in America is because of it.

I'm not sure how smoking helps you meditate, but if it helps you relax than that's solely because of the bad addiction they have for it. Just because it helps you relax, it doesn't necessarily mean it's good for you unless it's prescribed by your doctor. Their addiction plays with their mind and makes them think it relaxes them so they can have more of it. Doctors sometimes prescribe cancer patients to smoke marijuana because it helps reduce their pain, which is fine as long as it's being used for medical reasons. But if someone wants to relax, there are better and healthier methods in doing it than smoking, same goes with meditation.

No one is making everything forbidden. Our maraji' forbid anything that causes considerable harm to your body. If you think smoking has some good benefits, just know that its bad heavily outweighs its good. 

mashallah now we are talking. barakallah feka

• Veteran Member
On 5/20/2017 at 1:27 PM, Hassan- said:

I am with you brother. I am just providing reasons for why possibly the marajae have not declared it haram and also why a lot of them smoke(d).

• 3 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

سلامٌ عليكم 

I remember reading it somewhere that anything that leads you to haram or keeps you away from the obligatory acts is considered haram if you continue it. For instance smoking (in addition to physical harm proven by statistics) if it becomes the reason that you are unable to fast during the month of Ramadan, it is then haram on you. Same is the case with anything that you do in access that stops you from obligatory acts - Caution Avid Foodies :-)

Please search for the ruling as I'm not sure of the exact wordings.

And since we are on tobacco topic, how many of you know about the famous tobacco fatwa by Grand Ayatollah Mirza Hassan Shirazi ? 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tobacco_Protest

Ma Salamah

• 4 weeks later...
  • Basic Members
On 3/17/2017 at 5:28 PM, SheikhAlHabib'fan said:

Assalamu alaikum 

I also think it's haram because it is addictive and harmfull same as alcohol and drugs. Basically it effects ourselves in a similar way alcohol or drugs might effect us...

La ilahe ilallah wa Muhammadan rasulullah wa Aliyan waliullah Ya Ali

I used to smoke for 23 years, and was a well established smoker throughout that period, smoking an average of 15 to 20 cigarettes a day. I was not Muslim at the time. When I embraced Islam, I was given conflicting information on whether cigarettes were allowed or not and decided to make my conclusion on my own logical derivative. 

Scientific facts are that it is harmful to our health and is a major contributor to many dangerous health problems like heart disease, Stroke, Lung Cancer, etc. By eliminating the habit, one immediately reduces the risk of these diseases considerably. I was also reminded of the Ayat where Allah asks Us not to Kill ourselves and to me, continuing the habit would be paramount to killing myself, albeit slowly. So the decision was obvious. Logically I would have to quit the habit.

However the problem is not in whether one should quit or not. The problem is in overcoming the addiction, which seriously is a major hurdle, especially with someone established in that habit for 23 years. I was determined to try my best not to perform acts that were detrimental to my life, especially having embraced a religion that forbids the harmful and recommends the beneficial. It would be contradictory to my purpose after spending so many years searching for the right religion.

I knew very well that it is nearly impossible to quit as I had previously attempted multiple times to do so, without any success. So I knew that the addiction is not just physical but deeply ingrained in the mind as well. So I decided to not try all the old methods that failed but to try the help of Allah.

I went to the Musjid. Performed a 2 Rakat Salah and asked Allah with complete sincerity to assist me in removing the habit from my body. 

I had a major struggle the first few days. Thereafter the struggle eased up a bit only to return intermittently for well over 7 years. However, throughout that period, I vowed to first give up my life than revert to a habit that I vowed to Allah to assist me in giving up. I knew that no matter the struggle, it would not overcome me and that I would have the strength, by the power of Allah, to overcome this addiction or at least have the strength to withstand the temptation. It is now well over 10 years and I have not touched the habit since my earnest prayer to Allah. I no longer have any craving for the habit. I actually dislike the smell of cigarettes and wonder how I ever lived with such a bad smelling habit. I now love perfumes and enjoy the taste of food so much better than before. Indeed I consider this to be a big blessing from Allah because I have enjoyed a state of health I never thought possible, Marsha Allah. I know from this about the power of Dua,aa and have never underestimated any Dua'aa since that day, Marsha Allah.

My personal conclusion is that something which is halaal or haraam was clearly stipulated in the time of Rasoul Allah, sal allahu aleyhi wa ahle, and that many harmful things were not made haraam in order not to make the religion of Islam difficult. So my conclusion is smoking is not haraam but certainly a habit well worth giving up. I will not trade my current state of improvement in health and daily experience of life after quitting smoking for any amount of money in the world. Not even for a Billion or Trillion or Quintilian Dollars. 

I hope the brothers and sisters are encouraged to consider leaving this habit if they are currently under its entrapment. My Dua'aas are with you and May Allah help remove it, if you so desire, Insha Allah Ameen.

• Advanced Member
On 7/9/2017 at 10:03 PM, osmanamg said:

So my conclusion is smoking is not haraam

This the ruling of Grand Ayatollah Sayed Sadiq Shirazi (ha) on smoking, which I personally now believe:

Question: Is it permissible to smoke hookah/shisha/cigarettes?

It is permissible to smoke cigarets and what is known as Hookah, it is however Makrooh. It can be Haram if it brings harm to the body, and the harm which is haram is: Bringing death to yourself or stopping the body or body parts from functioning. Other than that, it is not Haram and is not Islamically considered a harm.

http://www.english.shirazi.ir/topics/smoking

Very nice by the way, I appreciate you had time to share your story... It also varies on the person. For example my grandfather used to smoke for more than 40 years and just a moment he decided to not smoke and stopped. He never had a problem after his decision.

On 7/9/2017 at 10:03 PM, osmanamg said:

I hope the brothers and sisters are encouraged to consider leaving this habit if they are currently under its entrapment. My Dua'aas are with you and May Allah help remove it, if you so desire, Insha Allah Ameen.

Ameen!