Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
AliAMehdi

Question regarding Khums

Rate this topic

I know that Khums have to be given after every year for your income, I am 16, I have no job, but I do make money reselling items, its not an actual job though, for example, buying an item priced at $200 and reselling it for $400 making a $200 profit, do I have to give khums for this ? 

On 3/13/2017 at 0:55 AM, AliAMehdi said:

I know that Khums have to be given after every year for your income, I am 16, I have no job, but I do make money reselling items, its not an actual job though, for example, buying an item priced at $200 and reselling it for $400 making a $200 profit, do I have to give khums for this ? 

As you are mature and you earn money, you have to pay Khums from whatever is in excess. Yes you can pay Khums before a year, but it is not obligatory.

These are the fatwas of Ayatollah Khamenei and Sistani in this regard:

Ayatollah Khamenei:

Q: Somebody is used to pay khums on anything / money immediately upon receiving it, can that replace paying khums at the end of the year?
A: Yes, it can. But doing so is not obligatory. It is enough to pay khums at the end of the khums year on the amount of the income that remains unspent on the life necessities during the year.

Source

Ayatollah Sistani:

It is obligatory on the merchants, the earners, the artisans, and others like them that when a year passes since they started earning, they should pay Khums from whatever is in excess of their expenses for one year. And if a person who is not earning, makes an unexpected gain, he should pay Khums after a year has passed since he gained, on the savings which exceeds his expenditure for that year.

Source

On 3/12/2017 at 4:25 PM, AliAMehdi said:

Salam.

Khums is on savings and not profit.

If at the end of the year you have $200 leftover, then there would be khums on it.