Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Guest BaqiBakr

Is Shia more accepting when it comes to spiritual?

Rate this topic

Guest BaqiBakr

Greetings everyone, I hope you are doing well.

Well I need to state that I'm a non-Muslim seeking my path of being a better human and in process of researching all sorts of things (religions, spirituality, occult, etc) I was always attracted to Arabic things, especially taweez (talismans), vefks and similar. What I noticed is that Sufism would fit me as I begun meditating on Allah's names as mantras and they really make my meditations better. I'm also attracted to out-of-body experiences and surfing the Internet I got a feeling that Shia community is far more accepting to personal development (one's path) to Allah and relationship with the Qur'an. Did I conclude wrongly or is this true? I feel absolutely as I said in love with mystical side of Arab/Islamic world that I can't help it but still have a need of having some belief and prayers to God so would you recommend me a Shia/Sufi mixture of self development or? Oh and just to be clear - taweez only and only in case of helping others overcome ill situations both physically, spiritually and morally (and I do believe that the power from them comes from God himself but I don't agree that God is long bearded guy somewhere in the cloud but more as an intelligent (supreme) energy (all attributes with the names of God apply).

Any advice and help is appreciated!

Assalamu aleykum,

Welcome. I am a revert of 10 years but I unfortunately don't know too much about Shia Islam to be able to answer your question in any depth. I do know that there are both shia and sunni  sufi tariqas (orders). However, I am unsure of their legitimacy according to Shia scholars. Either way you are likely to get a range of responses depending on the inclination of the people answering.

In orthodox Sunni Islam (which I would consider to be Islam as practiced for the first 1000 years since the death of the Prophet Muhammad (saws) ) Sufism (or more specifically Tasawwuf) defiantly has a place. Unfortunately modern truly sunni resources are hard to come across in English, having been replaced by Wahabi/salafi orientated materials. Wahabis propagate a very literalist interpretation of Islam and  do not consider sufism legitimate, But then they also dismiss a lot of other practices that were basic parts of both sunni and shia islam up until recent times. They have an issue with practices (for example tasawwuf, celebrating the prophets birthday, the concept of intercession, etc) which were disputed by very few scholars historically. For more on this see the following lecture

or if you don't want to sit through all of that here is a ten minute segment that sums up the answer to your question but in regards to sunni Islam

If you'd like to know more from the sunni perspective shaykh Abdal Hakim Murad and Shaykh Hamza Yusuf both have a lot of material online so you can youtube/google their names and get more information inshaAllah. Hisham Kabbani is another Sunni Sufi (Naqshabandi) but I've only come across him recently so cant comment on him too much. He has a channel called sufilive on youtube where you can access his lectures.

I'm sorry I couldn't answer your question in light of the Shia perspective but inshaAllah (God willing) someone else here will.

Either way I think coming closer to God/Allah ÓÈÍÇäå æÊÚÇáì is a beautiful, positive thing and if Sufism is what does it for you then I would defiantly explore that more. Good luck on your journey :)

Also Islam's view of God is very similar to your own in the sense that we also don't believe Him to be a human like being. We believe that we can never imagine what God is like because our finite intelligence could never comprehend something infinite/eternal. God is the all-knowing, all-seeing, all-aware who is the creator but not created. When terms such as God's hand are used in the Quran they are used allegorically.

The literalist/wahabi understanding of this may differ but as far as I am aware this is the traditional Muslim understanding. This is touched upon in the following interview

Guest Muslim
On 3/8/2017 at 3:10 PM, Guest BaqiBakr said:

I got a feeling that Shia community is far more accepting to personal development (one's path) to Allah and relationship with the Qur'an. Did I conclude wrongly or is this true?

I think, its not true. (twelver shias correct me I am wrong)

In shiaism there is no direct personal relationship etc with Allah or with Quran. All is via intermediaries i.e Ahlul Bayt. Here is one such live example on this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnmdU_6sLUY

Also have a look at following links from google search. This is how commonly world see them. Sunni Muslim and Shia Muslim

To be a better human and for personal development both in this world and in hereafter you have to follow and obey orders of the Creator i.e Allah. This is the only way. You have to become submissive to Allah in all aspects. Imam Ali a.s explained this very beautifully in one of his sermons, HERE.