Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

I didnt ask to be born, why'd I live religiously?

Rate this topic

Zifah

• Basic Members

Salam alaykum beloved Brothers and Sisters,

I have a question burdening me. I hope you can help me by giving logical and reasonable response. 

I have never asked to be born, even if I did, I forgot it long time ago when my mom gave birth to me. Even so, why must I live in this world and be obedient to God's rules (i.e. religion) in order to be safe in the hereafter?

Thank you very much for your help.

Salam.

• Moderators

Nobody really knows why God created us or this reality of ours, and our existence doesn't necessarily need to exist as God himself does not need us, because he is an infinite being that's all wise, all knowledge and independent. Reasons for why God created us are all philosophical answers, and we don't even need to worry about that. But despite God not needing us, God still created us, which tells us how merciful he is. He created us to live our lives, with one simple command that we must follow, which is to follow his authority. If you follow his authority in this temporary life, which isn't hard to do, he will grant you eternal paradise. Just look how merciful he is, nothing comes close to his mercy. When you ask why you should be obedient to him, ask yourself why you shouldn't be obedient to him. He is the creator of everything, the least we can do is obey and love him for 75 years (the average human life span) and he will grant us heaven forever. 

Edited by Hassan Y

• Basic Members
34 minutes ago, Hassan Y said:

Reasons for why God created us are all philosophical answers, and we don't even need to worry about that.

Why we don't even need to worry about that? Here I am wondering why I am even here.

But despite God not needing us, God still created us, which tells us how merciful he is.

I don't know asking this is appropriate or not: Why is it a mercy when He is creating us (with free will in ourselves), then leaving us in this world, then punishing us after that?

Here He "lefts" us in this world of course with direction from His Prophets and Imams, but why must we even work hard to find and know what is His direction, rules, etc. when we didn't even ask to be born?

If you follow his authority in this temporary life, which isn't hard to do, he will grant you eternal paradise.

It isn't hard to do? But for me it is hard. For example, for fiqh there are sooooo many items I should read and obey. Even if there will be no punishment for me If I do something wrong without my knowing or without any prior knowledge about that, the time when I know it will left me with upset and guilty feeling.

• Moderators
9 hours ago, Zifah said:

Why we don't even need to worry about that? Here I am wondering why I am even here.

We will never know the answer to that question until we die or when Imam Mehdi (af) returns and tells us. Not everything in life has an answer for it, there's millions of questions that people want to know but can't, and that's the reality of life. Life goes on and we must live our lives according to what we know and what we have been commanded to do.

9 hours ago, Zifah said:

I don't know asking this is appropriate or not: Why is it a mercy when He is creating us (with free will in ourselves), then leaving us in this world, then punishing us after that?

Here He "lefts" us in this world of course with direction from His Prophets and Imams, but why must we even work hard to find and know what is His direction, rules, etc. when we didn't even ask to be born?

Existence is a good thing, not a bad thing. If God makes you exist, than that's automatically a sign of mercy. He doesn't put us in this world and leaves us, he is everywhere and always with us, and always willing to help and guide us. This world may be harsh and full of grief, but in the end as God says, it will all be worth it if you followed his authority. He will grant you eternal happiness. Is it not worth sacrificing this life obeying God in return for an eternal paradise? Does that not show how merciful God is by giving us this opportunity? 

It isn't hard at all to follow his commands. It's very simple, the more you practice the more it will become part of you, your own lifestyle. We were born out of his mercy. Instead of asking why he made us exist, start appreciating Him for even making us exist. 

9 hours ago, Zifah said:

It isn't hard to do? But for me it is hard. For example, for fiqh there are sooooo many items I should read and obey. Even if there will be no punishment for me If I do something wrong without my knowing or without any prior knowledge about that, the time when I know it will left me with upset and guilty feeling.

If you keep thinking it's hard, it will remain hard for you forever. Do things step by step, start with the basics such as praying ever day on time and fasting in Ramadan once every year. Than start learning other things as you go along with your life, like learning islamic history, fiqh and etc. You don't have to do everything all at once, just take it slowly. If you die with mistakes, but you were in the process of learning, God will certainly forgive you because He is the most merciful. 

Look at @YAli's link he posted, and read that thread.

• Veteran Member
43 minutes ago, notme said:

Perhaps the soul remembers what the mind does not?

That's possible. I'm looking for a better explanation than just another variation of predestination that that concept is actually all about.

• Moderators
20 minutes ago, Ibn Al-Shahid said:

I don't remember what happened on June 25, 2011. Doesn't mean it didn't happen.

But you remember when your child is born, when you agree to get married, when you graduate from university. The mind puts a lock on significant events. You forget the things that have little impact.

Or are so traumatic your mind can't process them. 

2 minutes ago, Marbles said:

That's possible. I'm looking for a better explanation than just another variation of predestination that that concept is actually all about.

Predestination is incompatible with free will. The claim is that your soul chose to be given a life, not that your soul chose all that happens in your life. 

How is the choice to be tested a precursor to predestination? 

• Veteran Member
12 hours ago, Zifah said:

Salam alaykum beloved Brothers and Sisters,

I have a question burdening me. I hope you can help me by giving logical and reasonable response. 

I have never asked to be born, even if I did, I forgot it long time ago when my mom gave birth to me. Even so, why must I live in this world and be obedient to God's rules (i.e. religion) in order to be safe in the hereafter?

Thank you very much for your help.

Salam.

When an auto-manufacturer makes a car, they set parameters for the car to move forward, reverse, left and right. They dont make it to fly. So they create a thing within certain parameters. Now, I can try to fly my car but it would be the wrong use of the car.

Now to us.

We were created - there is no argument about it.
Since we are created, there has to be a Creator.
Since there is a Creator, then it would make sense that the Creator created us within certain parameters and guidelines. And as the Creator, the Creator is well within his rights to decide the rules and regulations around his creation.

Since you didn't choose to be created, you have the free will to not adhere to the Creator's requirements/parameters/regulations but you do not have the right to why He set those regulations.

If you believe in the Creator, then your choices are obedience or disobedience - thats free will. Free Will doesn't mean questioning the ramifications of your actions.