Mohamed1993

Views on press freedom

Rate this topic

What are your opinions on freedom of the press in a country? Is it something that should be allowed so alternative viewpoints that oppose the government can be sought, or does it impede the progress of a country by encouraging rebellion that makes things harder to get things done? What if you have a president that means well and wants the best for the country and he bans press freedom because he feels it gives a voice to the corrupt opposition that has it out for him? Would that be something you would agree with? Or would it be good to allow other opinion's to be heard so that it doesn't seem like he's running the country like a dictator? (This is not about Trump btw, its the case in some African countries, where presidents are now being accused of being authoritarians, because of this policy).

1 hour ago, Mohamed1993 said:

What are your opinions on freedom of the press in a country? Is it something that should be allowed so alternative viewpoints that oppose the government can be sought, or does it impede the progress of a country by encouraging rebellion that makes things harder to get things done? What if you have a president that means well and wants the best for the country and he bans press freedom because he feels it gives a voice to the corrupt opposition that has it out for him? Would that be something you would agree with? Or would it be good to allow other opinion's to be heard so that it doesn't seem like he's running the country like a dictator? (This is not about Trump btw, its the case in some African countries, where presidents are now being accused of being authoritarians, because of this policy).

I think there should be laws related to Media. 

1. It should be allowed to report government issues.

2. It should not be allowed to insult People because sometimes, its language is unbearable. There should be ethics of journalists too.

3. Media shall not be used to propagate superstitious beliefs such as Jadu and Sahar.

4. It should be allowed for religious discussion in peaceful manner which has unfortunately stopped in Pakistan.

5. It should also focus not to create the panic in the nations by always reporting about crimes, the crime reports shall be allowed after 10:00 p.m night when children are sleeping.

And such other laws.

Freedom of the press is very important.  The problem in the west is that freedom of the press is constrained not so much by the state as it is by private power, so you have to find ways of dealing with that.  Ideally the press should be free and democratic.

3 hours ago, King said:

Freedom of the press is very important.  The problem in the west is that freedom of the press is constrained not so much by the state as it is by private power, so you have to find ways of dealing with that.  Ideally the press should be free and democratic.

1000X this ^^^

A free and independent press is vital to the function of any sort of a democracy, as it informs the electorate on the issues of their day.  Failure to do so renders it impossible for said electorate to exercise the franchise properly, and either a lack of information, media slant, or outright propaganda get in the way of that.

Now I know it is very common in the US to call the media liberal, but I'm calling shenanegans on that.  In 1983, 90% of the media in the US were owned by 50 companies.  Today, 90% of the media are owned by 5. (Ashley Lutz These 6 Companies control 90% of the Media in the US: Business Insider June 2014)

This consolidation of the media industry into fewer and fewer hands has been allowed for ideological reasons and has resulted in one of the most grossly misinformed electorates I can imagine.  When we hear phrases like "alternative facts" and "post truth age," better believe we are being lied to and the corporate media is the Joseph Goebbels of the 1%.

They've not stolen elections; we've simply handed them over based on lies and a massive failure of the 4th estate.  When the press and the judiciary are no longer independent, you have an authoritarian state, and sadly, the US is taking a goose-step down bad memory lane.

Ok let me provide some context, it might be somewhat helpful; So in my home country of Tanzania, we have a new president since November 2015, since the election he accomplished a great deal, bulldozing and cracking down on corruption very hard. He has done the following;

(1) He cancelled independence day celebrations, which falls in December, he said what are we celebrating when people are dying of cholera, so he cancelled the celebration and encouraged people to go out and clean their streets to stop the spread of the disease, in fact even he himself got out to clean. He ordered the money that would've been spent on the celebrations to be spent on a road that would help ease traffic congestions.

(2) He banned all foreign travels by public officials, except in essential cases, where they must get permission from the president or the chief secretary. He said that this would save a lot of money and whilst we already have ambassadors abroad to represent the country, why should public officials be going abroad too? It makes little sense and its wasteful.

(3) No more first class or business class travel for all officials except the president, VP and prime minister. 

(4) He cancelled all meetings between officials in expensive hotels, he said every ministry has ministerial board rooms, so those should be used rather than lavish spending hiring hotel rooms for meetings. 

(5) He went to the biggest public hospital in the country, walked around and found patients on the floor, equipment not working. He fired the director of the hospital, all board members and ordered all the machines not working to be fixed in two weeks. Because of how assertive he was, they fixed it in three days, when it would've taken months. He slashed the budget for the opening parliamentary dinner by a factor of over 10, and used the money they would've spent to buy hospital beds and mattresses. 

(6) No more allowances for officials. and MPs He said how do officials get allowances when they are paid monthly salaries. 

(7) On the day after he was sworn in, he was being shown around the state house, but he wasn't impressed by it, instead he decided to take a walk to the ministry of finance and told them to get their act together. He asked why many people weren't at work, and since that day, traffic in the early mornings has gotten much higher because of people rushing to work.

(8) He slashed tax extensions for big businesses and corporations and he said everyone must pay full taxes. He gave people grace periods to settle their tax dues in the past they may have evaded, and if anyone were to cheat, they would be imprisoned. 

(9) When opening parliament, instead of flying to the capital city (president's live in the largest city, not the capital), he decided to drive 600 kms. 

(10) He elected a female VP and a prime minister unknown to anyone, but having a reputation for no nonsense, no corruption, just hard work. 

(11) All other ministries have actually tried to get their act together after all his initiatives, corruption in one key area, i.e. at the port, where people would usually pay bribes to get their goods has declined and now things have gotten so efficient. 

(12) All individuals who bought state companies that were privatized to either get their act together or to hand over the sector to the government. 

His basic motto is here all we do is serve.

So obviously, given these reforms you can imagine he would be very popular amongst the common man. But obviously the corrupt, rich people wouldn't like him. Now the media after all his initiatives has been trying to portray him as a dictator, because he has single-handedly fired inefficient officials himself. He banned media that attempts to insult the president, because he says it encourages rebellion from people, who are against him because they aren't happy with his no corruption, no nonsense. And furthermore, too much time is spent wasted on rebelling and no actual work gets done. He has banned political rallies until the next election year, claiming that opposition parties, some of whom didn't accept the election results, are simply opposed to anti-corruption measures. He has also banned parliamentary sessions from being advertised on local news channels, this was cited as a cost-saving measure. There have also been reports of arrests made, albeit very few people have been arrested for spreading inaccurate information on social media about the president and the political situation. Also elections in a semi-autonomous island belonging to the country were banned on citations of fraud, though opposition parties claimed its because they were winning.

Given his anti-corruption stances, and given that he seems to want to work for the common man and help the country, whereas there are many that don't want this and would rather fill their pockets and the pockets of the rich, is it justified to censor the media and to reduce dissent? Because it would be rather difficult if every time you tried to do something for the country, you'd be met with opposition including corrupt opposition who don't want the betterment of the country but of their own political party and their wealthy supporters.

Edited by Mohamed1993

1 hour ago, Mohamed1993 said:

Given his anti-corruption stances, and given that he seems to want to work for the common man and help the country, whereas there are many that don't want this and would rather fill their pockets and the pockets of the rich, is it justified to censor the media and to reduce dissent? Because it would be rather difficult if every time you tried to do something for the country, you'd be met with opposition including corrupt opposition who don't want the betterment of the country but of their own political party and their wealthy supporters.

If he did all this, then he deserves to be admired by people. 

4 hours ago, Sindbad05 said:

If he did all this, then he deserves to be admired by people. 

He has an over 90% approval rating. 11% of the country thinks he's running it like a dictator, 58% do not think so. 60% support his banning of opposition political rallies, in fact only 16% are even aware of the existence of this political opposition campaign and only 9% say they would've attended such a rally had it been allowed. 

^^Compare it to some so-called democracies in the world, where the presidents have a lower than 50% approval rating, where you have people criticising him, but really, him only caring about his popularity and pocket. 

Edited by Mohamed1993

I dont think there can ever be such a thing as a truly "free" media. as already mentioned, we have the likes of rupert murdoch who owns like 90% of all news channels and newspapers. the only thing being reported is whatever is in his personal interest to report on, to make himself richer. 

the opposite of that is a completely state owned media, which is basically communist propaganda. 

media companies need money to survive, how they get money is the core of the entire issue. 

I much prefer getting news from news aggregator sites like reddit and even twitter. its the closest thing to a "free" media as we are going to get, and is self regulated and moderated so fakes and shills are easily exposed

1 hour ago, DigitalUmmah said:

I dont think there can ever be such a thing as a truly "free" media. as already mentioned, we have the likes of rupert murdoch who owns like 90% of all news channels and newspapers. the only thing being reported is whatever is in his personal interest to report on, to make himself richer. 

the opposite of that is a completely state owned media, which is basically communist propaganda. 

media companies need money to survive, how they get money is the core of the entire issue. 

I much prefer getting news from news aggregator sites like reddit and even twitter. its the closest thing to a "free" media as we are going to get, and is self regulated and moderated so fakes and shills are easily exposed

independent journalists who barely make enough to survive are a good source too.

On ‎2‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 8:16 AM, Mohamed1993 said:

He has an over 90% approval rating. 11% of the country thinks he's running it like a dictator, 58% do not think so. 60% support his banning of opposition political rallies, in fact only 16% are even aware of the existence of this political opposition campaign and only 9% say they would've attended such a rally had it been allowed. 

Basing my opine on post-Colonial events (1957-present) l was asking myself -when reading your itemized list- the question: "ls this guy suicidal?"

l hope he is successful inshallah.

1 minute ago, hasanhh said:

Basing my opine on post-Colonial events (1957-present) l was asking myself -when reading your itemized list- the question: "ls this guy suicidal?"

l hope he is successful inshallah.

Actually interestingly there are members of parliament that have said if he keeps going the way he is, God has given him indications that he will die before the next election in 2020 (presidents get 2 terms of 5-years). I wonder if it was desperation to try to reinstate the corruption that has been cleaned up in parliament since the president took office. No more allowances, no business class trips, no conferences in expensive hotels, no laziness, must be tough for these people who've been used to thieving their way around. 

I'm laughing, read this article; http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/tanzania-to-purge-the-homosexual-syndicate-7hbd6xptt. The warning to publish a list of gay men selling sex online, comes as part of a campaign to smear homosexuality since the authoritarian president took over in 2015. So now he doesn't agree with the liberal agenda, and gays are imprisoned for 30 years, he is suddenly authoritarian and dictatorial. How much is this really about his policy on gays and how much is it about his anti-imperialist stance? Hmm.... He is so horrible he even said no one not even his wife should be spared if involved in taking narcotics. http://www.africanews.com/2017/02/07/even-if-my-wife-does-narcotics-arrest-her-tanzanian-president-orders/. Makes you wonder really, hoe often the people they call dictators are in fact dictators, or just people who want their countries to prosper and not have the West shove their laws down their throat, doesn't it?

Edited by Mohamed1993

3 hours ago, E.L King said:

Insults, slander, lying, promoting deviation, promoting transgression and sin and spreading rumours are all banned in an Islamic country.

The problem with that is in a legal sense anyone can get shut down for even questioning the status quo because it could "promote division". If you dont like a newspaper that spreads lies and says bad things then dont buy it and it will go out of business.

3 hours ago, Learner2526 said:

The problem with that is in a legal sense anyone can get shut down for even questioning the status quo because it could "promote division". If you dont like a newspaper that spreads lies and says bad things then dont buy it and it will go out of business.

But what happens when misinformation from special interest groups influencing a particular media source causes people to rebel against a government that has genuine desire to better the country? Wouldn't that be a barrier to the government and get fewer things accomplished?

I have heard that Hitler also gained power through these methods. He gained popularity by doing good work initially. Your president sounds very similar to the president in Philippine. That president fought elections with the slogan that he will do war on drugs like Hitler and he allowed extrajudicial killings. Thousands of people were killed before he stopped police. Arresting people for social media posts? Imagine this: one person or a group of people who are your enemies, one day they just announce that they have seen you taking drugs and kill you as a part of president's war against drugs. I wouldn't support a dictator if he is killing few innocent people even if he is improving the condition of millions of people.

Edited by rkazmi33

To be fair, his arrest of social media posters is not totally out of line with the constitution, a law was approved under the previous president. It was meant to target cybercriminals spreading inaccuracies, but it seems to have stifled free speech. The issue is when you have a president that wants to do good for the country, there's no doubt imperialists and their supporters will try to shut down progress and act as a hindrance. Look at the US congress, every time one party wants to do something, the other stands in its way. Some repression is necessary, the question is how much? While these may be genuine concerns by people on social media, but what if they're linked to someone in government who's disappointed by the anti-corruption stance. As for his banning of political opposition rallies, this is the rational he gave;

The election was over, the president said, and that the opposition should stop distracting people. “We can’t allow people to politicize each and everything, every day.” A month later he suggested external forces may be behind such protests. They were trying to destabilize the country so they can get a hold of Tanzania’s resources, he claimed. “They (imperialists) will come with a lot of words, such as democracy. Do they even have democracy in their own countries? Our democracy is enough, let’s defend it and live peacefully.”

I think his concerns have some merit, maybe he goes too far, but is he interested in power or is he doing this because he genuinely thinks those that oppose him want to hold the country back to make their own buck? There's no question people trying to create fitnah for their own political gain should know that their actions will have consequences.

9 hours ago, Learner2526 said:

Well I don't really care about what the legal sense says, I care about what Islam says. Islam bans lying.

@Mohamed1993! I hope he is really good for your country. I am cynical and I have learned that anything Which looks too good to be true is usually not good. People have started defending hitler and his ideologies and it's dangerous. 

I fail to see how social media posts can be so harmful for a president. Politicians should know their decisions can be harmful to some people and those people will protest. I don't like leaders who start creating cults and expect that kind of following. 

Edited by rkazmi33

21 hours ago, E.L King said:

Well I don't really care about what the legal sense says, I care about what Islam says. Islam bans lying.

So leave it up to the people not to lie and if they do AllahÓÈÍÇäå æÊÚÇáì will judge them. Government can't do that.