Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Repentant

Anyone with ADHD?

Rate this topic

Both myself and my brother inherited it from our father. I also passed it onto my children unfortunately.

I had my children diagnosed at an early age fortunately and it's helped them academically in a significant way. My son was diagnosed with it when he was in 2nd grade and began his meds in 3rd grade. My daughter was diagnosed in 2nd grade and began her meds then as well.

Sadly, I wasn't medicated when I was a kid and it was hell in school. Constant struggles academically. It wasn't until I got to college that my brain developed a work around but the struggle was real when I would try to read.

I'm something of a proponent of Meds because I'm seeing how much easier my children have it compared to how it was with me. Grades are significantly higher and they're much more confident in themselves.

Many people are not fans of taking meds and if you're one of them then there are some herbal remedies that supposedly help. Brahma root I've read helps with concentration and Dopamine production.

On 2/26/2017 at 8:17 PM, Akbar673 said:

Both myself and my brother inherited it from our father. I also passed it onto my children unfortunately.

I had my children diagnosed at an early age fortunately and it's helped them academically in a significant way. My son was diagnosed with it when he was in 2nd grade and began his meds in 3rd grade. My daughter was diagnosed in 2nd grade and began her meds then as well.

Sadly, I wasn't medicated when I was a kid and it was hell in school. Constant struggles academically. It wasn't until I got to college that my brain developed a work around but the struggle was real when I would try to read.

I'm something of a proponent of Meds because I'm seeing how much easier my children have it compared to how it was with me. Grades are significantly higher and they're much more confident in themselves.

Many people are not fans of taking meds and if you're one of them then there are some herbal remedies that supposedly help. Brahma root I've read helps with concentration and Dopamine production.

Have you had to deal with any stigma surrounding ADHD? Especially from non-western communities such as Arabs who seem to have a different perspective of psychological problems. 

5 hours ago, Repentant said:

Have you had to deal with any stigma surrounding ADHD? Especially from non-western communities such as Arabs who seem to have a different perspective of psychological problems. 

Well, to be honest no one knows about it at all except a few select people whom we've chosen to share it with.

Yes, there's a huge stigma due to lack of knowledge about what it is and what it feels like to have it. The ignorant ones think "oh no, those kids are crazy because they take meds for their brain" or some other nonsense like that.

My brother knows and recently my mother was told (reluctantly) but that's about it. We're not planning on making it public.

In the U.S. its close to 5% of the population as having it and I would assume it's pretty much the same worldwide. Like I mentioned before I'm of the opinion that meds do help but for the highest success rate it needs a full slate of things such as parental support and teacher support.

My daughter is an honor student and my son is almost an honor student. It's required a lot of sacrifice from myself and my wife when it comes to helping with homework but every time I see their grades it makes it all worthwhile. :grin:

On 27/02/2017 at 1:01 AM, Repentant said:

Anyone here diagnosed with ADHD? What have you done to help you academically? 

Yes.me. I kinda prefer meditation rather than medication . The Ritalin thing ! I HATE it. I try to think how I should live, how I can control my mind n these things.

Plus I guess it also helps to read Quran n try to focus on it. Like read Quran (or even in prayers) n focus on ur reading n try to concentrate on what u doing. 

On 2/28/2017 at 1:22 AM, Repentant said:

Ugh I have ADHD and growing up in a conservative half iranian half pakistani family was HELL

At first my parents refused to give me my medication because they believed i was attention seeking. I found it difficult to go to the mosque because i couldnt sit still so all these women would blame my mother- i was a shame to my family lol. But with time people slowly do start to realize you are a normal human too.

for me really rigorous exercise helps as well as Music

On 12/10/2017 at 7:45 PM, Akbar673 said:

If you don’t have it then why did you take the Meds ?

If you don't have ADHD and you take it, it helps you become super focused. Many students take it for studying. 

10 hours ago, Gaius I. Caesar said:

Never take the medication if you don't have the condition. It's a good way to get hooked.

I know, you shouldn't take any medication if not prescribed for you. But all the cool kids were doing it. (I say this in jest, I wasn't hooked, dont worry!)

6 minutes ago, 400226 said:

If you don't have ADHD and you take it, it helps you become super focused. Many students take it for studying. 

That's drug misuse, I am not impressed and pretty disappointed. Some people need it with their ADD/ADHD yet, here you are misusing it for study.

7 minutes ago, 400226 said:

know, you shouldn't take any medication if not prescribed for you. But all the cool kids were doing it. (I say this in jest, I wasn't hooked, dont worry!)

I don't joke around about this, that medication is probably really powerful and alters your brain chemistry to point you are dependent and addicted to it.

4 hours ago, Gaius I. Caesar said:

That's drug misuse, I am not impressed and pretty disappointed. Some people need it with their ADD/ADHD yet, here you are misusing it for study.

I don't joke around about this, that medication is probably really powerful and alters your brain chemistry to point you are dependent and addicted to it.

Judge-y much? I appreciate your concern bro. 

I didn't take loads over a long period of time, and like I said- I'm not dependent and was never addicted. When I shared my first comment, I genuinely wanted to know if OP wanted an opinion from someone who doesn't have ADHD but has taken the medication.

We've all made mistakes and done things in the past, at least I was honest. I didn't think saying something would have someone with a "holier than thou" attitude jump down my throat. I thought this was a forum where I could be open and honest with open minded people, but at least I know better now. 

4 hours ago, 400226 said:

Not a good idea at all.

My kids are both on the meds and they are strictly monitored by their Dr. with monthly checkups required to get the next prescription. They monitor them on a cardiac level as well as for neurological issues (tics and things of that nature) and eating patterns since these meds kill their appetites.

A common misconception is that it helps when studying. That its a magic focus pill. The meds have no effect unless they are consistently taken for some time on a regular basis thus allowing your body to adjust to them. Taking them once in a while does nothing to help with focus. All it does it rev you up. Its the equivalent of taking Speed, Crack or Cocaine. Its a super stimulant not a magic IQ pill to help you study.

Sadly, this type of med is the most abused on college campuses in the U.S. 

3 hours ago, 400226 said:

Judge-y much?

No, I just get frustrated with people who can't grasp the severity of misusing medication. Especially, people use it for a boost, that's what drug addicts do. They need that "boost" or high to feel good about themselves, that's why it's an addiction. They need more and more to get the same high as the first time. That's when it starts to turn into drug abuse, very self-destructive behaviour.

You are rather "judgy" yourself by assuming that I am a "holier-than-thou" type, bud.

I didn't take loads over a long period of time, and like I said- I'm not dependent and was never addicted.

That could have easily gone terribly wrong for you and gotten you into some serious trouble. What an lame excuse, seriously.

We've all made mistakes and done things in the past, at least I was honest.

Yeah but misusing ADHD medication to get a boost in college isn't a mistake, it's basically cheating and reckless behaviour.  At least you were honest.

6 hours ago, 400226 said:

I know, you shouldn't take any medication if not prescribed for you. But all the cool kids were doing it. (I say this in jest, I wasn't hooked, dont worry!)

What medication ? Ritalin ? Or another thing ?

I see students take it,but even me as an ADHD person,dont take it. These things have side effects. I also see some ppl take Ritalin as drug :/ I mean it really is drug ! So it s better not to use these things.

Yea it s better,but still students get it, n here we r! We can do nothing to avoide it.lol

Edited by strength=Abbas