Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Dogs in the home

Rate this topic

• Basic Members

Hi all,

I've been looking for a clear answer about the permissibility of dogs in the home. I really want to get a dog and have talked with many people about it and I get many mixed answers. The upstairs portion of my house is where my bedroom and bathroom are and I plan on having that part of the house closed off. This is so that this area can stay pure and the dogs fur won't get on my prayer clothes and mat.

For the record, I am not from a very religious family but I am actively trying to strengthen my faith (which is why I'm asking and learning about the subject). 

My question is, what are the reasons for dogs being impermissible and what can I do to avoid invalid prayer? Thanks in advance ! 

• Moderators

It is not haram to keep a working dog, for example a guard dog. Dogs are, however, najis. You will have to be aware of that and wash yourself after interacting with the animal, especially before eating, praying, or sleeping. If you have touched the dog or its saliva (or hair according to some scholars) you must remove any najis material by washing with water, and of course perform wudu before praying. 

You should keep a set of clean clothes set aside for prayer and change into them before each prayer, then out (to keep them clean) before going back to the parts of the house where the dog is allowed.

My family has an elderly guard dog who mostly just lies around. We don't allow him in the bedrooms, bathrooms, or prayer areas. We have no way to keep him from the kitchen and dining room because our house has an open floor plan. We just clean the floor frequently with water. 

He barks loudly at noises and looks intimidating, but I hope he never has to defend us against any intruder. I don't have confidence in his fighting ability.

If we had a more active dog, we'd probably let it stay outside in the fenced yard during the day if we are home and awake, and only bring it in to guard at night or while we are away. If we put the old guy we have outside, he just stands by the door waiting to be brought back in. 

Edited by notme
  • Moderators

There's nothing wrong with having a dog, it just takes a lot of responsibility to own one. If the wetness of the dog (whether on its body or from its saliva) comes in contact with anything in the house, it automatically becomes impure.

As for why it is haram, our holy Imam, Jafar al-sadiq (as) once said: “It is najis. Throw away the leftover [water] of the dog and don’t perform wudu with it. First rub the container of the water with soil and then wash it with water [if you wish to make it tahir].”

Edited by Hassan Y
  • Advanced Member
55 minutes ago, Garden_Lebanon said:

Hi all,

I've been looking for a clear answer about the permissibility of dogs in the home. I really want to get a dog and have talked with many people about it and I get many mixed answers. The upstairs portion of my house is where my bedroom and bathroom are and I plan on having that part of the house closed off. This is so that this area can stay pure and the dogs fur won't get on my prayer clothes and mat.

For the record, I am not from a very religious family but I am actively trying to strengthen my faith (which is why I'm asking and learning about the subject). 

My question is, what are the reasons for dogs being impermissible and what can I do to avoid invalid prayer? Thanks in advance ! 

Salam, 

I have a dog, I have had her since before I was religious. she is 10+ years old. I will advise you against it. I love her, but she is najs. If you pray you will have to work double to stay taher. I pray in a room I keep closed to her., but her fur still gets everywhere. It is everywhere.. and when they get old, they sometimes smell if you dont shower them often. I would love to get a cat. Why don't you get a cat?
a7la shi 

• Moderators

Yes, as others have mentioned, dogs start to smell bad if not bathed regularly. Once per month or once per two weeks is probably frequent enough for most dogs. You'll be able to tell when it needs a bath. You can use any mild shampoo, you don't need special dog shampoo.

Be sure to get it vaccinated and give it the recommended flea and heartworm treatments.

If you have to go away on a trip, you must either take the dog along, hire a dog sitter, or put it in a kennel. You can't leave a dog at home alone, even for a few days.  Depending on the dog's temperament, it might be fine alone for 18-36 hours. 

You must take the dog out for exercise at least once daily, more for large or particularly active breeds. You must take it out for restroom whenever it needs to go. Small dogs might need to be taken out even at night, as they have tiny bladders. 

Keeping an animal can be expensive and time consuming, but for many people the reward makes it all worthwhile. 

• Veteran Member

10ـ الإمامُ الباقرُ (عَلَيهِ الّسَلامُ): قالَ جَبرئيلُ (عَلَيهِ الّسَلامُ): يا رسولَ اللّه‏ِ، إنّا لا نَدخُلُ بَيتاً فيهِ صُورَةُ إنسانٍ، ولا بَيتاً يُبالُ فيهِ، ولا بَيتاً فيهِ كلبٌ.

10– Imam al-Baqir (as) said, ‘Gabriel (as) said, ‘O Messenger of Allah, we do not enter a house that has in it a picture of a human, nor a house that one urinates in, nor a house that has a dog.’[al-Kafi, v. 3, p. 393, no. 26]