Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Shandor

Making lots of good food on a budget (vegetarian)

So often times a planned meal ends up costing lots of money, because of market prices on the goods. I have been working with goods that are on sale, or marked down in local groceries, often times making a 20$ meal into a 5-10$ meal. I don't really measure things out either, so the actual results may vary, I suppose.

Home Made Cream of Mushroom:

2 package of sliced baby porta bellas

1 onion

1 head of garlic

1 package of assorted sweet peppers

1 package (small) of uncut whole baby carrots

x flour

x milk

Cajun seasoning

Black pepper

Chili peppers or jalapeno peppers

No Salt

(one can use cream I suppose, but it won't look like the photo)

Extra virgin olive oil

Add a little extra virgin olive oil to a deep pan, this will make a lot of food, so something that can hold a stir fry is appropriate.

Throw in the mushrooms and carrots, and set heat to low on the pan.

Cut the onion and process or cut the garlic so they can start the carmalizing (uh, wordsmith lol) process.

Cut all the sweet peppers as desired, I like bigger chunks.

Once the carrots have softened half through, and the garlic has "disapeared" add in flour and stir, so that all the veggies are covered in flour. Pour in Milk to make a gravy consistency. Add more milk and flour until you have a thick paste binding all the veggies, water down with milk until it is easy to consume/serve.

Real Heavy Cream is what companies like Campbell's uses; I'm in the midwest of the US, where biscuits and gravy are a staple, so using flour and milk (part of the gravy if not all of it) gives it a comfort take of the soup for me and my family. My new father from India loves this particular dish.

You can use real salt, but because my mother has issues with sodium, my family uses No-Salt which contains no sodium.

NOTE: I am sorry, I thought I had a photo of this dish, but it's gone or something, or was never photographed. I was certain I had shown it to someone this year, boggling. It comes out sort of grey, because the flour and milk and all the veggie oils kind remain colorless. If that is bothersome, some hot sauce will change that :)

Roasted potatoes casserole:

Depending on size of potatoes, 1-2 per person

Onion, 1/2 - 1 finely sliced

Garlic, 2 - 3 cloves minced

Celery (optional) chopped

Bell pepper, chopped

Jalapeño, poblano, or other spicy peppers, chopped

Toss with olive oil to coat and spread on lightly oiled baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, paprika, and (optionally) parmesan cheese. 

Bake at 425 F until done through and golden brown on top. 

Cooked meat can be mixed in too, if you like. I used to make this dish with cubed cheddar cheese too, but I've found that it's better without. 

We usually eat this as a one-dish meal, but it would go well with a salad or soup and bread. 

Edited by notme

Few days ago we made some peanut chicken that was nice:

1 package of blanched roasted peanuts

1 onion

1 head of garlic

4 sweet peppers

1 chili pepper

1 package of heritage farm chicken breast

x royal basmati rice

tendoori seasoning

black pepper

no-salt

red crush pepper

extra virgin olive oil

peanut cooking sauce, sweet chili version

Preheat oven to 425, and place all chicken breast in an oven pan, add most of the peanut cooking sauce to the chicken, if desired add some black pepper for flavor.

Begin cutting all peppers, and peal the garlic, once oven is ready, place the chicken breast in the oven. Pour some Extra virgin olive oil in a cooking pan, and through in the peppers, put on low heat. process garlic and cut up onion, add to pan.

Prepare and start the rice.

As the vegetables become soft, throw in the peanuts, then season to preference. I used unsalted peanuts, so I added extra no-salt to mine. Also if I cook with tendoori seasioning, I use moderately or lightly.

Stir on occassion so none of the vegetables burn. Once the rice is finished, pour in the remaining peanut cooking sauce on the vegetables and stir well, check for taste and add seasoning if desired.

When chicken is cooked all the way, cut up into small pieces. Add to the vegetables, and pour in any sauce in the oven pan.

Let the stove pan cook for a while, until all flavors are balanced. Turn off heat and throw in rice, mix well and let sit for a while before serving.

16830944_601859706671934_7518874047847538375_n.thumb.jpg.76040564692e491b6d94e5f810aa1069.jpg

5 hours ago, hasanhh said:

Colourful, but what is it?

Tomatoes, Lettuce, avocados, cabbage, cucumber, hummus. 

Sometimes I put bell peppers. Sometimes Greek yogurt and cheese for some good protein and fat. Sometimes boiled eggs on the side or fried eggs and put it inside the sandwich.

Red meat and chicken are too expensive for me so I stick to frozen fish.

8 hours ago, Ibn Al-Shahid said:

Tomatoes, Lettuce, avocados, cabbage, cucumber, hummus. 

Sometimes I put bell peppers. Sometimes Greek yogurt and cheese for some good protein and fat. Sometimes boiled eggs on the side or fried eggs and put it inside the sandwich.

Red meat and chicken are too expensive for me so I stick to frozen fish.

Avo-cardiacs and yuck-ert.

l'm going to be ill.

Yet, l've never had lettuce and cabbage together so l'II try that. Thanx.

I'm planning bean burgers for tonight's supper. Last time I made them, they turned out dense and bland and ended up having to be recycled into some vegetable soup. I've got two recipes I'm considering trying, but while the beans are still cooking, does anyone have any highly recommended delicious bean burger or bean loaf recipes that my family might like?

We eat a variety of cuisines. All the big people like spicy, but maybe not quite South Asian spicy, and all the small people don't care for much spice, but I can set aside some mild food for them. 

@Ruq

Never mind on the bean burger recipes - I used one that I found online as a starting point and came up with a delicious burger which can be easily modified to suit individual taste. 

My cooking is highly improvised. All measurements are approximate. I'm cooking for a large family and we love having leftovers. Feel free to half or quarter the recipes as needed.

Part 1: Bean Burgers

I cooked up a crock pot of pinto beans with 1 onion and 3 cloves of garlic. From this pot, I used 4 c. cooked beans without liquid. 

Mash up an entire sleeve of saltine crackers. Pulse in food processor with about 1/2 c french fried onions.

Mince one green bell pepper and a handful of black olives.

Other necessary ingredients:

2 eggs

1 c finely grated sharp cheddar

Taco seasoning

Ranch seasoning powder

A whole lot more bread crumbs

Mix it all together in a big bowl, adding bread crumbs a bit at a time until the mixture doesn't (much) stick to your hands. Let sit in refrigerator.

Part 2: White Bread Buns

I use a bread machine to mix the dough. I'm sure it would work with hand kneading too.

Ingredients:

1 c water

1/2 c sugar (!) 

2 tsp salt

2 eggs

1/2 c butter

5 c All Purpose Flour

3 tsp Active Dry Yeast

Mix, checking dough consistency. Add more water or flour as needed. Let rise. After 2 hours, divide into 12 rolls and space evenly on a lightly oiled baking sheet, cover with a towel, and let rise again.

Part 3: Oven Fries

I totally free-hand these, they're never the same twice, but this should be fail-proof

8 baking potatoes

Olive oil

Salt

Black pepper

Paprika

Garlic powder

Parmesan cheese

Wash but don't peel the potatoes. Slice into hearty wedges. Put all ingredients into large bowl and toss to coat. Spread evenly on a lightly oiled baking sheet. Preheat the oven to 425F.

Part 4: Cooking it all up

Potatoes will take about 45 minutes, and bread will only take about 20 minutes, but both cook at 425F. 

Heat your largest cast iron skillet to medium. (You might need to adjust as you cook.) Spray with nonstick spray or melt a little butter onto the surface. 

Taking the chilled bean mixture by handfuls, shape into balls then flatten. I made 11 burgers, but a few were inordinately large. I could only fit 4 at a time on my skillet. Place bean patty onto oiled skillet and cook until lightly browned and stiff on one side, then turn and cook the other side. They might still be slightly soft in the middle when done, but you will notice them getting more solid. 

Part 5: Eat!

Slice open each roll to make burger buns. Serve with lettuce, tomato, or whatever you like on burgers, with those tasty oven fries on the side.

It's not my healthiest meal, but it's undeniably cheap, vegetarian, and makes a lot. Bon appetit!

I'm following this topic now! Thanks, everyone! :) 

This one skillet mexican rice casserole recipe is yummy and easy to make. From: making thyme for health dot com

ONE SKILLET MEXICAN RICE CASSEROLE

INGREDIENTS:

1 small red onion, diced
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 red bell pepper, cored and diced
1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies, drained (or 1 jalapeno, diced)
1 cup corn kernels, fresh or frozen and defrosted
1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
12 ounces salsa or enchilada sauce
1 and 1/2 cups cooked Rice 
1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese

serving suggestions: fresh cilantro, diced green onions, avocado

DIRECTIONS:

1. Start by warming the oil in a large skillet [oven safe] over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 3 minutes, then add the spices (cumin to oregano) and stir together. Continue to cook for another 2-3 minutes.

2. Next add the red pepper and the green chilies and stir together. Cook for another 2-3 minutes then add the drained and rinsed beans, corn, salsa, and rice. Stir everything until well-combined.

3. Turn the oven to broil then top the mixture in the skillet with the shredded cheese. Place the skillet in the oven and cook for about 3-4 minutes until the cheese is golden and bubbly on top. Serve warm with diced green onions, cilantro, and/or avocado.

Note: If I don't have corn I substitute garbanzo beans (chickpeas or nokhood). 

Parsley salad

Ingredients

1 bunch of parsley (VERY FINELY chopped)

1 tomato (cubed)

1/2 red onion (chopped)

1/3 cucumber (chopped)

1/4 can of olives

olive oil 

lime juice

salt

Just mix the veggies together, add olive oil, lime juice and salt to taste! Perfect for school. In Lebanon its called tabbouleh, in Khuzestan ita called salaad e sabzi or salaad e jafari. I'll stay neutral because Arabs/Khuzestanis make fun of me when I use the wrong name :)

On 4/3/2017 at 11:54 PM, Mansur Bakhtiari said:

Parsley salad

Ingredients

1 bunch of parsley (VERY FINELY chopped)

1 tomato (cubed)

1/2 red onion (chopped)

1/3 cucumber (chopped)

1/4 can of olives

olive oil 

lime juice

salt

Just mix the veggies together, add olive oil, lime juice and salt to taste! Perfect for school. In Lebanon its called tabbouleh, in Khuzestan ita called salaad e sabzi or salaad e jafari. I'll stay neutral because Arabs/Khuzestanis make fun of me when I use the wrong name :)

umm noooo.  This is definitely not taboulah.   Authetic taboulah is parsley, green onions, spearmint, fine burghul, not just any olive oil EVOO, absolutely no cucumbers and olives, fresh lemons and salt.

6 hours ago, Laayla said:

umm noooo.  This is definitely not taboulah.   Authetic taboulah is parsley, green onions, spearmint, fine burghul, not just any olive oil EVOO, absolutely no cucumbers and olives, fresh lemons and salt.

whatever

*rolling eyes*

Sign in to follow this