Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Shandor

Hmmm, does this seem ok?

Rate this topic

So, I've been reading a book, and speaking with the author via his fan mail email address. And I've become so fascinated with not just a character that is minor, but the premise to the life of that character.

And this lead me to decide to write a Novella about a Spy that reincarnates with new convictions, and new afflictions. The incarnations happen between the Soul's Partner as a spy.

What I have written so far, is summarized as:  a Syrian refugee born in England, that is deaf, and who's mother is in MI-6 as a spy to the crown with no living family because of Russian bombing, assigned to uncover the death of the Prada Llama, who in turn reincarnated in her daughter

My question to the community, and concern, is if that would be crossing a line. And also, is there anyone I may speak with to help me develop further the characters?

Idk even if there is a line to cross... I know nothing about islam or sunni or shia, and I want to write something and I'm asking for help so I am not offensive or rude or plain stupid.

Salam.

This is what I summarize

[MOD NOTE: WARNING - Clicking on a link to an unknown website or downloading a file carries a risk of a virus or computer invasion.]

lol, you seem to be a good writer... Art and fiction writing is not haram(forbidden) in Islam, as long as you are not promoting sin and not writing falsehoods about God or his Prophets. 
Also, it should be stated that it is fiction.

I dont know if that answers your question. There is no concept of reincarnation in Islam. There is resurrection to the after life. There is a purgatory and heaven and hell. I dont know the limits on fiction. 

Cheesy question, but does you story have a moral? is it positive?

Ok. I know it is fiction, but I am going for Light Fantasy, so fantastical elements, with real world setting, or realistically believable.

I haven't seen far enough to know if it has a message hidden in it. I did not think there was reincarnation in Islam, but I thought it could be a good source of conflict at some point. I want to show a person of strength and conviction that is regarded as unpopular by those who are ignorant, and at the same time, work with a theme that is dominated by alpha males, thus showing heroic deeds from people who are suffering, who are acting on their conviction, as opposed to never growing. However the reason for the reincarnation, is the satyr that most spy stories the characters never adapt or grow, beyond technological advancements. So it is like a reason that the focused character be given a fresh start each time.

That's mostly why I asked. I almost made Rima recite the Adhan to her daughter, before my Pakistani friend told me that was not allowed. I know it is fiction, but I try showing real culture through fictional literature. also it lets me learn about Islam :)

On 2/17/2017 at 2:15 AM, Shandor said:

Ok. I know it is fiction, but I am going for Light Fantasy, so fantastical elements, with real world setting, or realistically believable.

I haven't seen far enough to know if it has a message hidden in it. I did not think there was reincarnation in Islam, but I thought it could be a good source of conflict at some point. I want to show a person of strength and conviction that is regarded as unpopular by those who are ignorant, and at the same time, work with a theme that is dominated by alpha males, thus showing heroic deeds from people who are suffering, who are acting on their conviction, as opposed to never growing. However the reason for the reincarnation, is the satyr that most spy stories the characters never adapt or grow, beyond technological advancements. So it is like a reason that the focused character be given a fresh start each time.

That's mostly why I asked. I almost made Rima recite the Adhan to her daughter, before my Pakistani friend told me that was not allowed. I know it is fiction, but I try showing real culture through fictional literature. also it lets me learn about Islam :)

It could be interesting.. good luck. Msg me if you need anything.

On 2/17/2017 at 5:08 AM, kirtc said:

Cheesy question, but does you story have a moral? is it positive?

Good fiction does not have a moral message. It rests on the reader to interpret it in consonance with their own worldview. 

3 hours ago, Marbles said:

Good fiction does not have a moral message. It rests on the reader to interpret it in consonance with their own worldview. 

Sorry, as an artist I disagree bro. In that logic anyone can do anything and anyone observing it will call it art. This has led to all the fakes of our time. The artist should have a motivation or inspiration of some sort. I believe this inspiration comes from Allah swt. Notice all the fake artists, the ones that do it only for fame and fortune cannot create, they only copy or make absolute random garbage.

9 minutes ago, kirtc said:

Sorry, as an artist I disagree bro. In that logic anyone can do anything and anyone observing it will call it art. This has led to all the fakes of our time. The artist should have a motivation or inspiration of some sort. I believe this inspiration comes from Allah swt. Notice all the fake artists, the ones that do it only for fame and fortune cannot create, they only copy or make absolute random garbage.

Inspiration or motivation is different from a moral message inserted deliberately into a work. I am not saying art does not have values and preferences of content and style, but art that turns itself into a medium of propagation for some dictum, idea or belief often turns out to be of low quality and easily forgotten by future generations.

Good fiction reveals truths about the human condition without propagating any ideas and beliefs. It does not mean it is apolitical but that it refuses to be a tool for politics or any other philosophy/worldview.

26 minutes ago, Marbles said:

Inspiration or motivation is different from a moral message inserted deliberately into a work. I am not saying art does not have values and preferences of content and style, but art that turns itself into a medium of propagation for some dictum, idea or belief often turns out to be of low quality and easily forgotten by future generations.

Good fiction reveals truths about the human condition without propagating any ideas and beliefs. It does not mean it is apolitical but that it refuses to be a tool for politics or any other philosophy/worldview.

You may be right.