Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
ShiaChat.com
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

I'm Fat

Rate this topic

Salam

Well you would say to me salami and bacon.

ElhamdAlah I fear God and I am not a gluttonous person.  Neither am I lazy or sitting on my butt all day.  My problem is I eat before I sleep and I love carbs.  You ask me what I eat, I love bread.  It is easy for me to have 5 loaves of wheat bread per day.  

My mother has diabetes and I admit I'm overweight.  I find no diets work for me, because I can't stick with it.  The only thing that works is when I'm fasting.  I cut the bread when I'm fasting and start to see results.  

God gave me a warning with gallbladder stones and I previously had a urinary tract infection and found out by accident I had those stones and what was causing me pain.  I find myself stupid because I don't change my eating behavior and not loosing the weight.

It doesn't help either is I find food self soothes me and I turn to it when I feel down or upset.  Why am I not strong enough to stop eating food?

I do not smoke. No drugs. No alcohol.  I just eat.  I was recommended to see a dietician where she/he can help me, but I have yet to go see one.  

I have asked Allah to help me with myself, I find myself my worst enemy.  Yet, they say the cure is within me?  How so, when I can't even control my eating habits.

I need help, I need a plan.  I need motivation.  I need someone who can motivate me or guide me to a better lifestyle.  

I couldn't even post this with my username because I'm embarrassed of myself.  I'm a disaster.  God help me. :(

*heading to the fridge*

• Moderators

Is there anyone who doesn't like bread? You cannot eat unlimited amounts of bread. Start by cutting back your bread consumption to only two slices for each meal. After you get comfortable with that, cut back to 1 slice of bread per meal. Increase your real foods (think vegetables) and as you lose weight, you can easily stop eating bread except for 1 serving of bread with dinner. Bread with more fiber and less sugar (think high fiber tortilla) is better for you than high carb bread with high amount of sugar. Hint: Read the label of your bread packages and compare the fiber, carbs and sugar content, then you will know which breads are better for you than others. 

I get fiber wheat bread.  I cook.  I make food from scratch.

In order for me to feel full, that is why I have bread with every meal.

I'm not the type of person who makes excuses.  I want to see real results.

I just don't know how to make changes.  I say I want to replace bread with lettuce, that is on my mind in the morning, but when it is time to eat, you see me with bread and no lettuce to be found.

I just grab my stomach and move it around and hate mysef even more.  

I need your duas so I can wake up before it is too late.

• Advanced Member

It's not a problem if you eat 5 bread slices a day. Do It in the morning or evening and if you love carbs so much eat bananas/kiwis and blueberries at night just don't over do it. 

I'd say alhamdulillah that you're not lazy, learn basics of nutrition and metabolism after that you lift weight and some HIIT will be sufficient.

• Moderators

Drink a full glass of water before every meal or snack. That will make you feel full sooner. Eat slowly and really taste your food. Keep cut vegetables on hand and buy bread that isn't pre-portioned so it's more work to eat it, or better yet if possible bake your own bread.

If between meal snacks are a problem, every time you feel like snacking, drink a glass of water and go for a walk. If you are still hungry after a walk, eat a piece of fruit or some salad. 

Don't forget low fat meats, such as turkey and fish. These can make you stay feeling full longer and less is stored as fat than high carb foods. 

• Advanced Member

There is no secret to losing fat, it is very simple actually. You have to do two things; 1) cardio/gym 2) reduce sugary stuff like cake etc (natural sugars like eating banana is fine) 3) eat at proper intervals.

Remember that it is not about starving yourself because that will actually make you even more overweight. Eat a nutritious diet and make sure you complement it by exercising.

Try to fix your routine of eating. Don't eat after long breaks because this slows your metabolic rate and will cause you to gain more weight. 

My routine is ;  8am - Breakfast(should be very nutritious and heavy)

12pm - Lunch (contains a lot of protein and carbs for me plus veggies)

12pm- 6pm (you are welcome to have snacks in between)

6pm - Dinner (Last meal of my day)

I don't recommend eating late and night which will defs contribute to your overweight problems. Sleeping with a light stomach will help you have a better sleep and wake up earlier. Also drink a lot of water throughout the day and do a fizzy drink ban for good. I have not even touched a single fizzy drink for the past 5 years, like your body does not deserve that kind of junk. This routine really works for me, and you might try to see if it works for you. 

In terms of motivation, you should of realized that being overweight is a pathway to all kinds of issues. Like being overweight affects the mental state of a person. Don't you wanna be at your best state where you feel good about yourself?? and at a state where you can say that you have achieved something?? don't give up because no one starts perfect, you have to eventually work hard to reach where you wanna be. Start now and there is nothing to loose.

• Advanced Member

If fasting works for you, why not fast beyond the month of Ramadhan? Make it a regular thing, maybe start once a week, then twice, thrice..?

BTW, for some reason even for me, veg and fruits are like magic during fasts, nothing like my usual intake. In terms of liquid, water becomes my sole intake but as soon as the 30 merciful days retire the all-consuming crave-muncher returns. So I guess fasting could be a real option for you. Plus the added benefit of spiritual growth, greater productivity and just feeling GREATTTT!

• Veteran Member

Intermittent fasting.  Google it.  There are several ways of doing it.  You can do one or two 24 hour fasts each week, or you can do 16 hour fasts each day.  You're allowed to have water during these fasts though, but nothing with calories.

Other than that, it's all about calories in vs calories out.  Get an account at myfitnesspal.com, and track everything you eat.  And you'll get an idea of how much you need to cut back and where to lose weight.

But you wanna know the simplest way to lose weight?  Go vegetarian.  And when I say vegetarian, I don't mean pasta and bread and anything else but meat.  I mean actual vegetables vegetarian.  Eating as many vegetables as you can in a day, as well as legumes like beans and peanuts/peanutbutter, and nuts, seeds, and eat 2-3 peices of fruit per day.  If you can't get enough protein for your body that way, through in a few pieces of meat.  Or, at the very least, fill up 3/4 of your plate at every meal with vegetables.

The key to any diet is to make it a lifestyle.  You can easily do intermittent fasting as a lifestyle.  You can easily eat your fill of vegetables as a lifestyle.  Weight loss is almost 100% diet.  Excercise can help, but you cannot out excercise a bad diet.

1 hour ago, coldcow said:

Intermittent fasting.  Google it.  There are several ways of doing it.  You can do one or two 24 hour fasts each week, or you can do 16 hour fasts each day.  You're allowed to have water during these fasts though, but nothing with calories.

Other than that, it's all about calories in vs calories out.  Get an account at myfitnesspal.com, and track everything you eat.  And you'll get an idea of how much you need to cut back and where to lose weight.

But you wanna know the simplest way to lose weight?  Go vegetarian.  And when I say vegetarian, I don't mean pasta and bread and anything else but meat.  I mean actual vegetables vegetarian.  Eating as many vegetables as you can in a day, as well as legumes like beans and peanuts/peanutbutter, and nuts, seeds, and eat 2-3 peices of fruit per day.  If you can't get enough protein for your body that way, through in a few pieces of meat.  Or, at the very least, fill up 3/4 of your plate at every meal with vegetables.

The key to any diet is to make it a lifestyle.  You can easily do intermittent fasting as a lifestyle.  You can easily eat your fill of vegetables as a lifestyle.  Weight loss is almost 100% diet.  Excercise can help, but you cannot out excercise a bad diet.

Salam,

Cc, I can't do only vegetables, because it won't satisfy my craving of feeling full.  For example, I will eat hummus but it must be with bread otherwise I will continue to eat to satisfy my hunger.

I tried eating my meals in a healthy portion size and wait 20 minutes later for my stomach to send a message to my brain that I'm full.  I did drink water to take up space in my stomach until it was a balloon but that doesn't satisfy my hunger.  

I know my answer is in moderation, I just don't know how to practice it.  

Hameedeh, thank you for your duas.

Everyone else I appreciate your feedback, your answers are realistic and helpful.  Bless you all for your help and concern.  Thanks bunches of oats.

*I talk in food references too*

Saas: I can't go on extreme fasting because I don't want to trigger my gallstones, if I don't have water throughout the day it's back to the UTI and extreme pain.  I curse myself when I go to sleep because I always say why do you eat before you sleep, because my chances of abdominal pain increases.  God is very merciful with me, but I don't show mercy on myself.

I hope I get hidaya (guidence) soon because the way I'm going will cause my gallbladder to burst.

I need an institution to lock me up.

Ya Aliiiiiii

• Advanced Member

As salaamun aleikum, lots of good advice here, alhamdulilah:)

Everything I'm going to share has come from my own personal experience and research. Please excuse the length.

I'm a 40 year old female. I went from 150 to 127. This was due to persistence, research,and a lifestyle change by the grace of AllahÓÈÍÇäå æÊÚÇáì .Whats worked for me has been a 3 prong approach. You may have heard the term "You cant out train a bad diet", and I personally have found this to be true,so addressing my health/weight from 3 angles is what gave me great results. The 3 prong approach is diet,cardio ( hiking, for me, as there are many more variables involved as opposed to merely walking) and weight bearing exercise. 

All of us have our own genetic makeup that makes us uniquely us,as well as our gender, (Men naturally have more muscle than women and require higher daily caloric intake) lifestyle (whether you're physically active or not) and to a lesser degree culture, (especially the food aspect of  culture-Is it a culture where a tiny bit of meat/vegetables are served on top of a GIANT plate of rice with tons of bread, or a culture that every event or occasion revolves around food?) These as well as other things affect how we lose and gain weight. I personally am someone who is carb sensitive, as you yourself seem to be. If I even LOOK at a cake, it will appear on my body somewhere:/

A couple things I learned that help with the way my body responds to carbs is to choose non processed sources,like fresh yams,fruits,and other vegetables. The less processed it is, the more our bodies have to work to process it, and this is a GOOD thing when it comes to NOT gaining weight.

You probably already know that bread is a highly processed food that breaks down quickly in our bodies. This causes  a sudden spike in our insulin. When the body is flooded with insulin, it begins fat storing. As long as the body is in a state of having insulin flowing through our blood, it inhibits the body's ability to lose weight. I know you said you have a love for bread, so my humble advice to you would be like others have mentioned-to limit your bread intake,in sha Allah, by maybe waiting to have it til the end of the day and having it with a well balanced dinner comprised of a good portion of protein, vegetables,a large glass of water, and a hefty salad. Doing this in such a way will have a feew different effects.

1)  It will act as a reward you can look forward to at the end of the day so you will not feel deprived of eating something you are very fond of. People generally are not able to maintain "diets" when they feel and believe they are being deprived of something,especially of their favorite foods, so don't completely eliminate things, but just remember, moderation is KEY...(A good time to start this behavior is during the month of Ramadan, when we have to wait til dinner(Iftar) to eat anyway:) 

2) Always eat carbs ( bread) with protein and healthy fats (Salad dressing of olive oil/vinegar) helps to slow down the bodys digestion thereby reducing the body's insulin response. Make sure to get a protein source in whenever you eat carbs. Eggs, fish, chicken, plain greek yogurt are good animal sources for protein. If you're vegan or vegetarian, spinach has 7 grams per serving(as much as an egg!) nuts (almonds,walnuts,etc) are good non-carb protein sources AND good fats that will help slow down the digestion and insulin response if eaten together.

The more natural (unprocessed foods) you eat, the healthier and slimmer you will be by default. Humans have been around for many years, (and bread has been around for 30,000 years!!!) The difference now is, there's a whole bunch of added JUNK in bread these days that was never there at any other point prior to our time on this planet, and our bodies simply have not evolved to digest this kind of stuff. I many cases the body doesn't even recognize it as  being food.. (Scary!)

Read the label on bread some time, and most likely, there will be things you cant pronounce and have never even heard of. All this stuff goes into the body and has some sort of effect on us. Some have even been called "obeisogens", as they are chemicals and substances shown to lead to obesity:(    WHY IS ALL THIS STUFF EVEN IN OUR FOOD???

Another thing to be aware of is that the food industry is very sneaky, and only worried about their profits. Hundreds of thousands of dollars and more are spent on finding the optimum level of crunch/sweetness/salt/ etc. that a food should have in order to increase the amount that we eat. This type of "designing" is done without concern for peoples health.. The end goal is increase the company's  profits ONLY. Be aware of preservatives which extend the shelf life of food, but cause everything from weight gain to chronic heart and brain diseases. The longer a "food" can last on the shelf, the more beneficial to the producer, but NOT to the consumer:/ Also, be aware of the low fat items. In order to make up for the food tasting bad because they have reduced or eliminated the fat, they fill it with added sugar, and if not added sugar, they use artificial sweeteners which have been shown to lead to many adverse health effects. Artificial sweeteners have been shown to lead to weight gain. Google "ill health effects of aspartame" or any other artificial sweetener and a whole slew of info will come up. 

Something else I warn people about is the dangers of watching TV. As Muslims, it is already quite obvious we should refrain from TV as much as possible, considering how morally bankrupt and misleading it is, but even if you're able to find a channel that is more benign than most of them are, like a science channel, there is a  hidden danger that goes unnoticed by most viewers. From the moment we turn on the TV, we are hit with a constant barrage of commercials, one after another, and guess what? A ton of them are commercials for food. If you watch TV, have you ever noticed yourself feeling  'hungry", even after eating a decent meal? Like, there's NO LOGICAL WAY you could still be TRULY hungry because you've already eaten enough? This is due to the false hunger cues caused by the commercials. 

Humans are HIGHLY visual by nature. Visual cues to food on TV  falsely excite our sense of hunger. When we see a truly decadent chocolate cake, or a giant burger, or even sometimes when people post amazing pictures of kabob on Instagram, it literally makes me feel AS IF I'm hungry, but I'm really not...and I KNOW I'M NOT, because I know how much Ive already eaten. It really doesnt take much food to sustain a person healthily throughout thg day. Simply realizing that this is whats going on can be enough to help prevent a person from acting on the false urge eat. Instead of thinking "Somethings wrong with me, why am I always eating?" be sure to check around and see if your appetite is being falsely triggered. 

Another good thing to do like someone else mentioned, is always keep healthy snacks close by. When our blood sugar gets too low, we can become crazy and eat anything and everything in sight! I admittedly still go through this when I forget to bring something along with me when I'm out and about. 

Another thing Id like to mention, is for me, the months of Rajab, Shabaan and Ramadan have been amazing months of transformation, for giving up old bad habits and replacing them with new ones,alhamdulilah, There is a LOT to be said about this. Allah ÓÈÍÇäå æÊÚÇáì has prescribed fasting for us, and inscribed the benefits of it in our nature. The OP mentions that during the month of Ramadan, you were able to give up the bread and you noticed a significant difference. As Muslims, we know fasting is obligatory on us, so we don't have a way out of it, but what we can learn from this, is that WE CAN DO IT. If we can do it during the month of Ramadan, why not at other times throughout the year? . After fasting for all that time, you gain a certain amount of spiritual strength in sha Allah,that allows us more control over our nafs and the commanding nature of ourselves. You know that little voice that says "I need this/I have to have this"? We are able to tell that little voice no all day during the month, thus building the  spiritual dimension of ourselves, by telling our nafs  "No, you will not control me,I control YOU",  and this doesn't have to change when the blessed Month ends. Whats important AFTER the month of Ramadan, is to not lose our momentum. If AllahÓÈÍÇäå æÊÚÇáì has blessed you with relief from a self-oppressing habit during the Holy Month such as not cussing, or not getting up for Fajr, or smoking, or any number of bad habits, (in your personal case, reducing the amount of bread you ate) show your appreciation to AllahÓÈÍÇäå æÊÚÇáì by thanking Him and asking him to continue to bless you in this way. He has promised us that if we are great full, He will give us more, and AllahÓÈÍÇäå æÊÚÇáì doesn't break His promises:) Each time you're tempted to eat more bread than you ate on the average night in the month of Ramadan, remember that Allah ÓÈÍÇäå æÊÚÇáì lifted that burden from you and with it, all the physical, mental and emotional ills caused by overindulging in it. Be very careful though, as its easy to make exceptions and making exceptions or justifications for overindulging is a slippery slope, and chances are, you will become weaker and weaker with each exception.

One last thing! You can make a promise to AllahÓÈÍÇäå æÊÚÇáì at Fajr prayer every morning that  just for today, you wont eat (insert whatever) for the duration of the day, with the intention of taking better care of your body that He has entrusted you with. (This however shouldn't translate into eating EVERYTHING at the end of the day as a reward for doing well all day, lol:) 

I hope dear brother/sister that you are able to get some help from  this thread you have posted, in sha Allah.

Salaamun aleikum-

• Veteran Member
12 hours ago, Guest Homer said:

Salam,

Cc, I can't do only vegetables, because it won't satisfy my craving of feeling full.  For example, I will eat hummus but it must be with bread otherwise I will continue to eat to satisfy my hunger.

I tried eating my meals in a healthy portion size and wait 20 minutes later for my stomach to send a message to my brain that I'm full.  I did drink water to take up space in my stomach until it was a balloon but that doesn't satisfy my hunger.  

I know my answer is in moderation, I just don't know how to practice it.  

Hameedeh, thank you for your duas.

Everyone else I appreciate your feedback, your answers are realistic and helpful.  Bless you all for your help and concern.  Thanks bunches of oats.

*I talk in food references too*

Saas: I can't go on extreme fasting because I don't want to trigger my gallstones, if I don't have water throughout the day it's back to the UTI and extreme pain.  I curse myself when I go to sleep because I always say why do you eat before you sleep, because my chances of abdominal pain increases.  God is very merciful with me, but I don't show mercy on myself.

I hope I get hidaya (guidence) soon because the way I'm going will cause my gallbladder to burst.

I need an institution to lock me up.

Ya Aliiiiiii

You need to 'detox' from carbs.  If you want to feel full all the time and like you're not on a diet, then you will never be successful.  If you want to work hard, then you need to learn how to be ok with a little discomfort.

Detox from carbs, count your calories.

• Advanced Member

Bro pick up one of these electric grills. I bought one 2/3 years ago and ever since been using them for cooking meat, veg and even cheese toasties (ok i shouldn't have mentioned that last one). These are great and work with zero hassle and top you don't need to add any oils. It's as easy as slicing up potatos, carrots, peppers, onions, asparagus, corn, meat, fish....throw em in and if you need something crispy and soft (to replace toast) add some potato waffles....20 mins in, you're ready to go. Do something different with the anti-bread campaign and who knows your appetite might adjust. 

George Foreman grill (got mine from Ebay - i think it was this one, mine serves 4 portions rather than 7, could be a listing error)

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/household-appliances/small-kitchen-appliances/small-cooking-appliances/grills/george-foreman-18891-variable-temp-grill-graphite-10149257-pdt.html

@shia farm girl

Salam Sis Farm Girl,

Thank you for your well researched informed piece.  God reward you for taking up your time and effort in explaining the importance of understanding how our bodies work and what are the healthy ways to go about it.  

I especially learned from you about insulin and how the body reacts from all the carbs intake.  

I did take some steps today to improving my health.

Instead of my average 5 loaves of bread, I cut down to only one and a half. My last meal was before 6 pm.  And now I just snacked on pistachio nuts (about 10) and water.

Earlier in the day I walked about 20 minutes.  

My weakness is still turning to food in times of stress.  The one and a half wheat bread I had was with melted mozzarella cheese and the half part was with humus and pickled eggplants with walnuts. I did this when I was angry.  It's a habit, I find food comforts me especially when I have to deal with human beings.  

@coldcow your name doesn't help me, it's like in my face and you being a drill sergeant is maybe what I need right now to wake up. 

@saas

I do have one of those!  Not GF grill, just a generic one.  It's in a box on top of the shelf lol.

What recipes do you have so I can bring that box down and try it?

I'm thinking of doing a food calendar to write down what to make that day, so if you can give me some suggestions,  I can try them out.  

I'm so happy to see people caring and going out of their way to help me.  Thank you all, your answers are inspiring me to do better.  

Wishing you all a pleasant day/night.

• Advanced Member

Bro no recipes - just cut, slice, dice and grill. I don't even marinate the meat, i dont add anything other than the occasional salt and pepper. I like my own hand-produced grills plain and simple. Once cooked, i do fancy a few spots of sauce. I'm not a reg cook, It's an occasional alternative to the majority of dishes which are produced in our household by women who loveeee the sauces, masalas, chillies, pastes, who knows what they put in those boiling pots to poison us lol, but you can't deny - it tastes good!

Amongst the personalised grills I select a few from the following options and swap things around:

GRILLERS:
Chicken
Lamb
Kebab (ready made though - with the mix)
A few types of fresh fish and sometimes the conventional boxed cod
Pasties (cheese n onion, halaal meat ones if in stock or veggie)
Potato (usually sliced chips)
Any type of Veg (much variety to choose from and make it the central theme of any dish)
Onions (does that come under veg?)
Tomatoes (they'll stick to the plates so place them in foil)

NOTES:
- IMPORTANT: Google 'different types of veg' - I got a print out listing most of the available ones in UK stores and listed the benefits too. Though i admit i can't be bothered with most types, they just don't sit well with me
- When cooked, eat while its hot/above warm. Most dry grilled food becomes more and more inflexible (stiff) as it cools off. 
- Some items will cook faster then others so stand guard until u know your timings
- Dont forget to clean the grill lol

SIDERS: (non-grilled options to add to the mix)
Boiled eggs
Salad 
Heinz beans
Canned Tuna
Rice
Pasta
(anything really - for me it has to be easy as just open, quickly cook and munch up)

SAUCE: 
Spots of Ketchup / Mayonnaise, whatever tickles your fancy
Nandos Mild peri peri sauce (love it)
(nothing beats cutting up a lemon and squeezing the life out of it, esp. for grilled meat)

There are so many options, maybe most I haven't even tried. If I were selling these grills, any brand, my sales pitch would be "space, time, distance and electric grills! What do they all have in common? easy....there aint no limits, just the further you leap out - the greater the surprise"

Just an update on day two.

I bought a multigrain bread and the slices are much smaller than the wheat pita bread. Very expensive too.  It cost 4 times as much as the white bread.  

I've added tomatoes, cucumbers and arugula for breakfast.  I ate fried eggs in the multigrain sandwich.

I drank jasmine green tea for breakfast.  I also drank a glass of warm milk right now and thought about mixing honey in it,  but the milk is already full cream so I passed the honey.

I had a handful of pistachio nuts and only one slice of the multigrain bread with cut up baladi cheese.

Since Baladi is made from unpasteurised mixture of goat, cow and sheep's milk, it has to be consumed within three days. The cheese appears similar to Akawie, but it has more dense texture. It is a soft unripened cheese with a sweet and slightly salty flavour. 

For dinner it was okra stew and basmati rice.  

I wasn't able to walk today, it was raining.

I hope I'm making progress.

@saas

Thanks for the suggestions.  I think the only sauce that will be good for me is spicy red peppers.  Mayonnaise is out of the question and ketchup is just sugar and processed food as sister farm girl mentioned.

The grill is down from the shelf and it is out of the box.  I just need to think what I will use it for.  It is tempting to use it for melted cheese and that is a curse for cholesterol and empty calories.

I know the fitbit is a popular product now.  Is it worth to invest in?  Do any of you own one?

I hope I can pull through this change and not end up as a complete failure.

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, Guest Homer said:

I know the fitbit is a popular product now.  Is it worth to invest in?  Do any of you own one?

I have a Fitbit. It's a fun and sometimes motivating gadget, but it would be a lot more fun if some of my friends also used it. 

One thing to be aware of with the Fitbit is if you are carrying or pushing with your arms, or have your hands in pockets, or anything that causes your arms to not swing naturally while walking, it won't count those steps. I was actually a bit disheartened by it until I made this discovery. 

You're never a failure as long as you still have hope! There will be setbacks, there always are. You just keep pushing through them until you get to where you need to be. :)

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, Guest Homer said:

@notme

Why is it popular?  What does it do besides counting your steps?

What is the average price of getting one?

I think it's popular because it is widely used and not terribly expensive. Some models track heart rate and will automatically recognize some exercises. It monitors sleep, but not that well. Sometimes if I am watching a movie or reading a book, it thinks I'm sleeping. The phone app includes a fairly comprehensive food tracking capability. It also has an alarm clock, and if you want to you can set it up to notify you of phone calls. There are premium services too, but I'm a cheapskate so I've never looked into them. 

They range in price, but the model I've got sells on Amazon for about $80. Sometimes they go on sale for less. 

• Advanced Member
1 hour ago, Guest Homer said:

Just an update on day two.

I bought a multigrain bread and the slices are much smaller than the wheat pita bread. Very expensive too.  It cost 4 times as much as the white bread.  

I've added tomatoes, cucumbers and arugula for breakfast.  I ate fried eggs in the multigrain sandwich.

I drank jasmine green tea for breakfast.  I also drank a glass of warm milk right now and thought about mixing honey in it,  but the milk is already full cream so I passed the honey.

I had a handful of pistachio nuts and only one slice of the multigrain bread with cut up baladi cheese.

Since Baladi is made from unpasteurised mixture of goat, cow and sheep's milk, it has to be consumed within three days. The cheese appears similar to Akawie, but it has more dense texture. It is a soft unripened cheese with a sweet and slightly salty flavour. 

For dinner it was okra stew and basmati rice.  

I wasn't able to walk today, it was raining.

I hope I'm making progress.

@saas

Thanks for the suggestions.  I think the only sauce that will be good for me is spicy red peppers.  Mayonnaise is out of the question and ketchup is just sugar and processed food as sister farm girl mentioned.

The grill is down from the shelf and it is out of the box.  I just need to think what I will use it for.  It is tempting to use it for melted cheese and that is a curse for cholesterol and empty calories.

Salaam:) Alhamdulilah,these are great changes and i would say very healthy choices you have made. Dont be too hard on yourself if something happens and you feel you have fallen short. Its normal to have "failures", but if you learn something from it and are able to pick yourself up,dust yourself off and continue to move forward, it cant really be considered a failure. Just dont let it keep you in that state. If something happens, come back here and make a post about it and im sure the brothers and sisters here,myself included, will do our best to help motivate you out of it,in sha Allah:) Having people in "your corner" is definetly a plus and a good addition to any change a person is trying to make in life:)

• Advanced Member

I have no personal experience wit Fit Bit,unfortunatly, so cant give an opinion on it. I use an app called Map My Hike.  Its free to download to your Iphone and Android, and it does everything I need it to with no hicups. You can pay a small fee to upgrade the free version  and then you can add in all the technical equipment that monitors pulse rate, body temp and all that kind of stuff, but I ve never needed anyting beyond the free version. It allows you to program in your age, height, current weight,and sex and it uses an algorithym to figure out your calorie expenditure durring exercises and workouts. Mine is always set to "Hiking" these days as Im not mountain biking anymore, but there are many choices you can select, such as walking, running, bicycling, cross country, and on and on and on. For each type of workout, it applies a particular algorithym to your personal stats and gives you an outcome at the end of your workout. It does alot of other stuff too,like breaking down the speed you went during specific parts of our workout and much more. Maybe download it and check it out. Its free, so cant hurt. This is a large chunk of how I was able to lose the weight i list, and in keeping it off.

• Advanced Member
On 2/14/2017 at 4:24 PM, Guest Homer said:

Salam

I have asked Allah to help me with myself, I find myself my worst enemy.  Yet, they say the cure is within me?  How so, when I can't even control my eating habits.

I need help, I need a plan.  I need motivation.  I need someone who can motivate me or guide me to a better lifestyle.  

I couldn't even post this with my username because I'm embarrassed of myself.  I'm a disaster.  God help me. :(

*heading to the fridge*

I love food, because for a year and a half, food was scarce to come by. But I too have a larger build than I would like. I take hikes in the woods, where I pray to the creator in many ways, sorry not as a Muslim, but as a Native American. I walk for at least 1.5 hours or 5.3 miles, and try to go further every time.

"I am a miracle, made up of particles"

Sometimes, I crave meat, so I eat carrots with ranch, or a salad instead. It can really help.

@shia farm girl

Thanks a lot for sharing your app.  Hiking is a lot of fun, and I've done it before during the summer.  

@Shandor

I appreciate you sharing your experience.  Everytime I think how I could improve myself using religion to help me in my diet, but I am not successful in controlling myself.  

Friday, Day 3: Don't want to talk about it.  Very disappointing to say the least.

Day 4: Made a bowl of salad and had a hamburger patty without buns.  Multigrain bread is finished.  Had dinner with spouse, circular thin potatoes with cole slaw, pickles, tomatoes.

Tommorow is a Sunday, busy day for me, one of the stressful days of the week.

This is going to be a long haul.

• Advanced Member
3 hours ago, Guest Homer said:

@shia farm girl

Thanks a lot for sharing your app.  Hiking is a lot of fun, and I've done it before during the summer.  

@Shandor

I appreciate you sharing your experience.  Everytime I think how I could improve myself using religion to help me in my diet, but I am not successful in controlling myself.  

Friday, Day 3: Don't want to talk about it.  Very disappointing to say the least.

Day 4: Made a bowl of salad and had a hamburger patty without buns.  Multigrain bread is finished.  Had dinner with spouse, circular thin potatoes with cole slaw, pickles, tomatoes.

Tommorow is a Sunday, busy day for me, one of the stressful days of the week.

This is going to be a long haul.

meat tastes good, but red meat especially is difficult to digest. one celebrity had pounds of red meat in his body when he died, that was undigested. It can cause the stomach to expand widely, and adds little to no nutrition to our bodies in the end.

I have some really nice vegetarian dishes that give a sensation of having eaten red meat, if you would like I could message them to you.

• Advanced Member

@Shandor If you could message me the dishes as well, Id greatly appreciate it:)

@Guest Homer your Very welcome:) This winter has been a challenge for me to maintain my usual level of activity as I live in California and weve been being hit by quite an unusual" amount f rainfall which has made almost any regular outdoor activity impossible. I admittedly have gained an estimated 5 pounds, but this is not really abnormal anyhow. People tend to gain weight this time of year. 

@Shandor

Please go ahead and post them here, thank you.

Day 5

Dinner was baked fish.

Lunch munching whatever my hands can get.

Breakfast chick peas 

I'm tired, Sunday I was busy and working the entire day.

I don't know  if I will continue with the daily posts. All I see from it is a reminder of negativity.  I wonder when will it be the smooth easy days.

• Forum Administrators
17 minutes ago, Guest Homer said:

I don't know  if I will continue with the daily posts. All I see from it is a reminder of negativity.  I wonder when will it be the smooth easy days.

Don't think negatively. Don't think you are deprived and cannot have this or that to eat. Watch what you eat very carefully and try to walk more steps each day. If you don't take care of yourself and this leads to you being diagnosed as diabetic, you will have more health problems than feeling hungry. Take each day, one at a time, and tell yourself positive things, I am doing good, I am okay, I can do this, etc. 

My sister Hameedah,

All what you say is true.  I wake up everyday during fajr time and talk bad about myself because of how food is destroying me and not helping me.

It's exhausting mentally and physically the weight is starting to cause a strain.

I wonder when my mind will finally say enough is enough.

I'm very tired.

• Moderators

The negative self-talk only makes things harder. Make it your mission to stop each negative thought and replace it with a positive. 

@Shandor I'd be interested in vegetarian recipes too. Please post in the food and health forum and link the food post here. 

• Advanced Member

As salaamun aleikum @guest Homer,  I can totally relate to the negative self talk thing:( For me, I had been unhappy for some time with the condition I was in, but I kept unhappily tolerating it..It was obvious I was out of shape and over weight, and quite often, i would make self deprecating statements out loud, not only to myself, but to anyone that was around me, because for some weird reason, I wanted them to know I wasn't blind to how bad/unhealthy I looked, and for some strange reason, I wanted them to KNOW I knew:/    (Not sure what THAT was all about,lol...) All I know is that it is an extremely unattractive behavior and spiritually harmful as well:(

Anyway, despite my being aware of my condition, I  hadn't really reached my "bottom" yet. Then one day,I cant say for sure when it was, I looked in the mirror, and i said "THAT'S IT!!!"  I could no longer bear the state I had let myself fall into. I had  become so...disgusted with what I saw, I just  knew I just couldn't continue on that path of misery any further. It was if I had reached a point of surrender in my situation, and there was no room left for denial.

At that exact moment,  I resolved within myself that I was going to do what it took to lose the weight and get in better shape. I knew it would be hard, but I clamped down on myself and set limits with food,  and I became determined to get the exercise I needed under any circumstance, rain,shine,cold,etc. I weighed myself every morning,and when I started to see the scale going down,clothes fitting better,and I wasn't always out of breath doing simple activities, it gave me such a great feeling of success!!  That feeling was what provided the momentum to continue to do what I was doing, which was learning more and more about eating clean and balanced and staying as active as possible, adding new info and practices a little at a time  BECAUSE I WAS SEEING RESULTS!

DON'T GIVE UP BEFORE THE MIRACLE HAPPENS:)

What I mean by this, is don't let the negative self talk defeat you before you get anywhere...It wasn't til I started to see results that I was able to internalized the truth, that it was in fact possible to achieve my goal. After that,  I automatically started to re-word the things I said. The negative self talk started to fade (at least in this area-I still struggle with it in other areas, unfortunately) Sentences like, "I cant do it", became " Give me some time, and I will get there". No matter what it is we try to accomplish, its always a series of steps. Anything can be broke down into pieces, and for me, realizing that helped alot.

(P.s. Never try to do too much at once, especially in the beginning! Its a recipe for disaster because If you fail, and its normal to fail in such a circumstance when you overburden yourself, and when you do,you may beat yourself up and that WONT HELP!)

Slow and steady:)