Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
ShiaChat.com
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

I'm Fat

Rate this topic

On Tuesday, February 14, 2017 at 11:51 PM, hameedeh said:

Be proactive! Wash your lettuce and get it ready and store in the fridge. If you don't have it prepared ahead of time, you will always reach for the bread because it is convenient and you love it. Do you have high fiber snacks to fill you up, like baby carrots, a small apple, celery stalk, etc? Losing weight is torture, but your health is at stake here. Diabetes runs in your family so you need to watch carefully what you eat. Making dua for you.

Hameedah,

You do realize how wise and kind you are.  I prepared a cabbage salad with tomatoes.  I'm fasting today because I needed a break from thinking of food.

I made lentils with Italian rice and sprinkled fried onions on top. 

I'm going to break my fast with dates from the holy city of Mashhad.  Drink 2-3 cups of water. Do salat.  I will start off with salad and mix it with a tahini and garlic dressing.

@shia farm girl

I'm so happy you are caring and supportive of my journey.  Having you relate to me is helping me know I'm not alone.  I have a lot of demons I need to tackle, I go to food for comfort from other real issues that I need to face.  

Thank you all for your support and encouragement.  I know some of you are making duas for me, please continue to do so.  God will listen to you since you are faithful brothers and sisters.

@Shandor

Your thread of recipes on a budget is a wonderful source to get future ideas. Thanks for your time and effort.

On 2/16/2017 at 3:54 PM, notme said:

I have a Fitbit. It's a fun and sometimes motivating gadget, but it would be a lot more fun if some of my friends also used it. 

One thing to be aware of with the Fitbit is if you are carrying or pushing with your arms, or have your hands in pockets, or anything that causes your arms to not swing naturally while walking, it won't count those steps. I was actually a bit disheartened by it until I made this discovery. 

You're never a failure as long as you still have hope! There will be setbacks, there always are. You just keep pushing through them until you get to where you need to be. :)

Awesome you!  I have realized I haven't responded to any of your posts, not intentional I promise.  

I thought about getting Fitbit, but since I don't use smartphones, I found it unnecessary.  Have you tried weight watchers and the point system where you count all the foods you ate?  I hate to say I'm on a diet, I more so want to change my lifestyle because I don't want to end up having high cholesterol and diabetes.

I have followed up on your advice on drinking water.  But I warm it up before I drink it.  I was also recommended to add honey and lemon in the water early in the morning before eating anything.

I am continuing with my fast because that is the only way I feel I have control and food is not controlling me.  

Yesterday I was watching Tasty videos on YouTube.  They might as well change their name to " how to get heart disease in 30 days and die".  They show you how to make dishes involved with cheeses , heavy cream, Oreo cookies, butter, cream cheese and fry those ingredients!

Thank you for all your helpful tips.  

@Shandor or anyone...

Do you know of any channels on YouTube to teach you how to cook healthy?

• Forum Administrators
On 2/20/2017 at 10:33 PM, Guest Homer said:

anyone...

Do you know of any channels on YouTube to teach you how to cook healthy?

This is a youtube channel of a lady who cooks diabetic dishes. She takes normal recipes and changes the ingredients a little bit to make the food acceptable for people who are diabetic. 

https://www.youtube.com/user/diabeticsurvivalkit

• Development Team

Guest Homer sent this message:

Wa salam, thank you for keeping up with me.

It is the martyrdom of Bibi Zahra as, life today is meaningless especially to talk about my weight.  Give me until after the weekend to tell you about my ups and downs.  Forgive me, I do appreciate you both @saas @shia farm girl checking on me. Thank you for your sincerity.

• Advanced Member

Cure is in yourself b.c you re the ultimate power to cure yourself. I had a bad habit of eating too and fasting was a cure to it.

Just fast for 7 days and keep the easily accessible food far away from reach..!

Guest Homer

It's Sunday, and here is my update.

I admitted to my spouse that I need help with taking care of myself.  I recently discovered there is a condition called pre-diabetes.  I read rhe symptoms, I haven't reached to rhat point.  Neither do I want that to happen.

This past week I saw myself in a downward spiral.  Eating everything and anything to do with bread.  When do I realize what I've done throughout the day, right before I go to sleep.  

Then I would reflect on my past.  I would be very critical of my mother and say why doesn't she stop eating?  Why does she eat so much bread?  Now, I'm doing the same thing and it's an awful feeling. 

I see myself as an emotional rollercoaster.  I spend my time in the kitchen making cooked meals.  I made grape leaves stuffed with burgul,ground meat, fresh spearmint, and green onions.  Stuffed marrows or courgette cooked in yogurt.  

I eat the leftovers and let the family eat the fresh cooked meals. My spouse looked at me and said, "You eat dry yogurt, cheese  and bread."  

"Tell me, do you ever eat what you cook?"  

Again, my spouse reminds me go see a dietician. "She can help you plan what to eat." EnshAllah I will do that .

I'm going to sleep today comfortable then previous days.  A clean house. My family asleep.  Just me, unhealthy,pain-free (as of now),  and unsure of this difficult world, what Allah has in store for me.

I just ask Allah please a healthy mind, a healthy soul, a healthy heart and a healthy body to keep going.

Please continue with your duas for God to help me overcome this weak struggling nafs.

• Advanced Member

As salaamun aleikum, I wanted to send you a P.M. but looks like I am unable to. Should I send it through Anonymous, as I see they have related a message from you to us here on this thread. Please let me know:)

With duas- 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Development Team
On 3/5/2017 at 6:32 PM, shia farm girl said:

As salaamun aleikum, I wanted to send you a P.M. but looks like I am unable to. Should I send it through Anonymous, as I see they have related a message from you to us here on this thread. Please let me know:)

You can send me a PM and I will let Guest Homer know what you said. 

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Homer

Salam SFG,

Thank you for your concern and your pm for connecting with me.

Just a small update,I've been fasting and walking.  I wake up during sahoor and drink 2-3 glasses of water. My fast lasts until 7 pm.

Bread is still a weakness within me when I'm not fasting.  

Amazingly, I know more so from Allah, for giving me energy and not being tired from fasting.  I just pray I can make it for the two months before month of Ramadhan and keep going strong.