Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Sumerian

Do Imperialists back Valentine's Day?

Rate this topic

7 hours ago, E.L King said:

From Christian websites I read this was a pagan event.

It doesn't make sense that Saint Valentine's Day would be a pagan celebration. As far as I know, pagans didn't commemorate saints. 

Ancient Romans celebrated Lupercalia around the same time of year, but it doesn't seem to be related. Lupercalia celebration consisted of wearing wolf costumes, sacrificing sheep and goats, and having parades. It was in observance of the myth about the mother wolf who fed the abandoned twin children Romulus and Remus, who were later adopted by a farmer, and went on to found the city of Rome. 

4 hours ago, notme said:

It doesn't make sense that Saint Valentine's Day would be a pagan celebration. As far as I know, pagans didn't commemorate saints. 

Ancient Romans celebrated Lupercalia around the same time of year, but it doesn't seem to be related. Lupercalia celebration consisted of wearing wolf costumes, sacrificing sheep and goats, and having parades. It was in observance of the myth about the mother wolf who fed the abandoned twin children Romulus and Remus, who were later adopted by a farmer, and went on to found the city of Rome. 

Or may be it's after many centuries when some pagans became christians they made valentine a saint !!! 

3 minutes ago, Struggling_onn said:

Or may be it's after many centuries when some pagans became christians they made valentine a saint !!! 

Also possible. None of it is historical, all legend and myth. I'd still like to know which myth or legend of Valentine's day includes a pagan Roman adulterer. I'm not familiar with that one. 

2 minutes ago, notme said:

Also possible. None of it is historical, all legend and myth. I'd still like to know which myth or legend of Valentine's day includes a pagan Roman adulterer. I'm not familiar with that one. 

He may not be roman adulterer. He may be a simple priest who might have fallen in love may be people later on made him a saint. who knows. 

because priest weren't allowed to marry back then like nuns.