Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
notme

Toddler nutrition question

Rate this topic

Salam alaikum

My 23-month-old son has never eaten much meat. He just doesn't like it. He eats plenty of other protein rich foods like nuts, beans, peas, cheese, and yogurt, just not much meat.

Lately I've noticed a correlation between him eating meat and him vomiting, usually about 5 hours later. Is this apparent sensitivity something to be concerned about? 

Salam wa alakum,

Is the meat halal? Have you double checked? Kidding haha.

First thing is that it's completely normal, my little brother personally didn't eat meat until the age of four or something so he got his protein elsewhere I.E. hard boiled eggs etc. The reasons could be the taste is simply unappealing to the child (Not insulting your food just meat tends to have a bland taste, appreciated later in adulthood) and they reject it, what kind of meats have you tried? Also it could be your child's stomach enzymes are either having problems breaking down the meat or simply rejecting it. And never feel like you shouldn't get an experts opinion, that's what pediatricians are there for!

W.S

Just now, hameedeh said:

Does he tolerate ground meat or is he bothered by all meat? 

He doesn't eat much, but occasionally he will eat chicken nuggets, fish sticks, breaded popcorn shrimp, and once recently he surprised me by eating some turkey sausage. He used to eat other soft cooked meats, but hasn't for a long time now, at least since last summer.

He does eat vegetables, fruits, rice, pasta, bread, milk, cheese. He's not a generally picky eater like a lot of toddlers, he's just not very carnivorous. 

I'm wondering if it might just be hard for him to digest because he isn't used to it.