Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
The Light

Is having a good life = lack of piety?

Rate this topic

:bismillah:

:salam:

I hope everyone is in good health, inshAllah.

I've heard/read from some speakers and other sources that momins (pious people), have more trials in their life and normally their lives are more difficult.

That got me thinking. So, if a believer's life is going very smooth without too much troubles and trials. e.g., lives long, has wealth, is normally happy etc. Does this indicate that something is wrong with regards to his/her deeds?

Or is it that some servants of AllahÓÈÍÇäå æÊÚÇáì will have lots of blessings in this life and also have a high station in the hereafter?

I think it might be a good topic to discuss. Please share your thoughts. 

Bro we can all study maths. But to become a mathematician it takes a whole lot more. To take mathematics from one level to the next, the trials and tribulations of becoming masterful become abundant. The more you know the greater the responsibility and commitment. 

Likewise the more acquainted you are with your faith (greater understanding), with that comes greater responsibility to maintain righteousness (piety/mumin). But here's a question, for whom is it harder, the unyielding atheist who can't see beyond his stubbornness or a free flowing Mumin with added struggles. Definitely the atheist only he doesn't know it.

Overall the most important testimony is the Prophets, Imams and the most righteous servants. Their lives were not made easy! In a world full of injustice, corruption and greed, the few righteous had it pretty hard, not just per trials placed over them by God but adjusting to a life where you are bounded to the influences of the ignorant and hypocrites. 

Everybody has trials. From someone as rich as Bill Gates to somebody as poor as the homeless man across the street. You will be tested in all aspects my friend! My advice is whether on your good days or your bad days never restrain from thanking the almighty.

WS

@OP Good question. This is something I wonder too but there are two narrations that lead me to believe that having a smooth life might not be a very good thing( I might be wrong) 

1. Once the Messenger of Allah (SAW) was invited to the house of a Muslim. When he arrived, he noticed a hen laying an egg on one of the walls surrounding the house. The egg either did not fall, or it fell but did not break. The Messenger of Allah (SAW) was astonished at this. The man whose house it was said, 'Are you astonished. O Messenger of Allah, for I swear by Allah who has chosen you as a Prophet, I have never been struck by any affliction.' The Messenger of Allah (SAW) rose at once and left the house saying,He who does not see calamity is far from Allah's grace.[Divine Justice, p.194, by Murtada Mutahari]

2. Anyone who loves us Ahlul Bayt must be ready to face a life of austerity -Nahjul Balagha.

Wealth in itself is a BIG trial. As soon as humans taste wealth and the power that comes with it, they become rebellious and Allah swt tells of it many times in Quran in very loud and clear terms. Wealth for a momin is by no means only a 'good life'. Always make dua' that Allah swt gives you wealth and try you through your abundance inshAllah. In a nutshell, wealth gives our Free Will a boost, the higher the free will, the bigger the test is.

Health is an under appreciated blessing of Allah swt which only gets noticed when we are old or we fall sick.

3 hours ago, The Light said:

:bismillah:

:salam:

That got me thinking. So, if a believer's life is going very smooth without too much troubles and trials. e.g., lives long, has wealth, is normally happy etc. Does this indicate that something is wrong with regards to his/her deeds?

Or is it that some servants of AllahÓÈÍÇäå æÊÚÇáì will have lots of blessings in this life and also have a high station in the hereafter?

I think it might be a good topic to discuss. Please share your thoughts. 

Salaam.

Great question. 

I think a good, smooth life can be as much a trial as a difficult life.

Sometimes it is much harder to be thankful to Allah ÓÈÍÇäå æÊÚÇáì in an abundance of happiness. If we have everything, then how much are we using it to help others, etc.

So some tests are bounties and some tests are the absence of bounties.

10 hours ago, Ozzy said:

I'm not so sure if there is any such formula to know why things happen. Good/Bad things happen to Good/Bad people, all 4 possibilities have a name.

The hadith encourages us to do shukr when things are good and have Sabr when they are not.

Yeah, it is impossible to know why good or bad things happen to people. However, according to my observations in life, I would personally say that calamities fall more upon people who are really good. 

12 hours ago, starlight said:

@OP Good question. This is something I wonder too but there are two narrations that lead me to believe that having a smooth life might not be a very good thing( I might be wrong) 

1. Once the Messenger of Allah (SAW) was invited to the house of a Muslim. When he arrived, he noticed a hen laying an egg on one of the walls surrounding the house. The egg either did not fall, or it fell but did not break. The Messenger of Allah (SAW) was astonished at this. The man whose house it was said, 'Are you astonished. O Messenger of Allah, for I swear by Allah who has chosen you as a Prophet, I have never been struck by any affliction.' The Messenger of Allah (SAW) rose at once and left the house saying,He who does not see calamity is far from Allah's grace.[Divine Justice, p.194, by Murtada Mutahari]

2. Anyone who loves us Ahlul Bayt must be ready to face a life of austerity -Nahjul Balagha.

Interesting narrations.

Thanks for sharing.

The short answer: it depends. 

Long answer:

There are many people in my family who are not religious (don’t pray, fast, etc.) and do haram acts like drinking and so forth. They generally have easier lives. As an example, my cousin, who isn’t terribly smart, got accepted into one of the top UCs in in my state. He lives where I have wanted to live, is popular at his school, and generally gets what he wants out of life. He’s also going to make mega bucks and live in a million dollar mansion because of his chosen field (plastic surgery). He and his family travel around constantly and he acts like a bit of an arrogant snob because, despite us having the same quality of life in terms of luxieries and etc., he doesn’t view me as me being on the same level as him because of my chosen major (English) and because I’m in a CC. Basically, I have nothing to brag about, if I were to. 

Lots of people in my ethnic community, when they find out I’m in an English major, flock to people who would boost their social status. (People my age who are becoming doctors and dentists and whatnot.)

I used to feel so jealous that he would get everything handed to him on a silver plate, while I’ve had to take a break from school because of my mental health, and was alone in school and had a hard time fitting in, was suicidal at 20 and was diagnosed with Bipolar Depression around that time. 

HOWEVER, during that last suicidal episode, when I was so emotionally drained and exhausted I was seriously about to kill myself because I didn’t know what was wrong with me (and I had major anxiety and my manic and depressive episodes were back-to-back.), my the mercy and grace of Allah, He saved me from burning into Hell for enternity by guiding me to pray. Now, Alhamdulilah, I pray and fast and I am a practicing Muslim. I can’t even thank Allah enough. 

My cousin now, as far as I know, doesn’t pray or do any of his wajibats. He drinks and parties. And who knows what else. So now, instead of feeling jealous, I almost pity him because of his arrogance. I am grateful to Allah for saving me from becoming arrogant like him.

So while Momins or practicing Muslims can have tougher lives, it doesn’t mean that life can’t go well for them. Hardships are supposed to make people not only stronger, but humble with the Creator and to the people. People who go through less hardships may sometimes (but not all the time) become arrogant or forget that Allah is the one who gives them the success they desire in life.