Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Why can't we live for 950 years anymore?

• Basic Members

So I was thinking the other day how the Prophet Nuh (as) lived for 950 years, and how in today's age that's impossible. 

What do you think made the human population's lifespan shorter? How do you think people aged during that time - was 350 years old equivalent to someone who's 30 right now? When exactly did the lifespan of humans start decreasing significantly? :confused:

With the climate change, creation changes it's shape, recently I read that the people who are in space were analyzed and their brain were bit changed. Our atmosphere was designed in such a way that when people were few, it favored their live spans but as they grew in number, there came much changes to the atmosphere which led to the changes in the human life span too. Many may call it evolution but I believe it as a design to maintain a balance between ratio of the increasing population and limited resources. If Allah has made this atmosphere still favorable for our long lives, our grandfathers would have decided themselves whom to allow birth and whom not to allow. But Allah took this in His own hands and decided on His own to let older people have equal chance as the younger generations. This is just system. :)

• Advanced Member
3 hours ago, maghrebishia said:

So I was thinking the other day how the Prophet Nuh (as) lived for 950 years, and how in today's age that's impossible. 

What do you think made the human population's lifespan shorter? How do you think people aged during that time - was 350 years old equivalent to someone who's 30 right now? When exactly did the lifespan of humans start decreasing significantly? :confused:

:salam:

Despite the developments of medical science, yet people are living shorter lives than before, there are records regarding 3 centuries ago speaking of people living more than 200 years, what had happened that made lives shorter?

An answer is that in the past people ate natural food, drank natural drinks, no chemicals were ever used in their foods while in our age, we ate nothing except contains chemical materials, even mineral waters contains chemical materials, just read the text on their bottles, another reason is that in the past people used to listen to natural music such as the singing of birds,... but now as researches shows if you listen to calm music, your blood pressure reduces and if you listen to something such as heavy metal, the amount of adrenaline in your blood will dramatically increases and thus the disorder in listening to music causes a terrible damage to body.

It might be strange but many of the diseases are caused by engineered viruses, such as HIV, for if this diseases really existed from the beginning then humanity would have been extinct for this disease takes 20 years to show up and thus one infected person could kill a whole city.

And about the prophet Noah(as), his life was a miracle and it was something that AllahÓÈÍÇäå æÊÚÇáì willed.

Well, apart from medical issues, I believe if Allah SWT wants He can allow creation a long life.  One such example is turtles and some other animals whose life span is two centuries and even longer.  There are many factors involved and one among them is decree of Allah that's why Hazrat khidr and Imam e zamana a.s are granted long lives. 

Edited by Sindbad05

• Advanced Member

Possibly because of pollution. Think off places without pollution.

Near the border between China and Pakistan, people are reported to live up to 200 years, and easily past 100.

The oldest person reported to be alive, lives in a small Indonesian town. He is 140.

The lifespan in the USA in the 1930's, during the industrial revolution was 60. My grandfather died in the 1960's at age 80 in a small Iranian village.

Pollution is synonymous with shorter life spans. After the Great flood, I guess humans started grouping together. Christian scholars suggest that Elam, Babyon, Akkadia, Sumeria and Assyria were formed by the 5 sons of Hazrat Nuh (as), so maybe this caused pollution in the big cities, thereby shortening lifespans.

Also, homosexuality has become very popular nowadays. I have read in some hadith that homosexuality comes with 72 diseases. Two of them must be HIV and AIDS. This could have also caused shorter life spans as in Ancient Persia and Greece, homosexuality was rampant.

Edited by Mansur Bakhtiari

• Veteran Member
4 hours ago, Hidaren said:

Despite the developments of medical science, yet people are living shorter lives than before, there are records regarding 3 centuries ago speaking of people living more than 200 years, what had happened that made lives shorter?

Do you have any references to back this up?

• Advanced Member
7 minutes ago, iraqi_shia said:

Do you have any references to back this up?

An authentic person who did research in this field said so, besides I know an old woman in a small village where my grandparents live in, this woman is almost 130 years old, which shows such life lengths in the past is not impossible

• Veteran Member
7 hours ago, repenter said:

On average we live longer though......one or two incidents of long lived people is not enough to establish that they used to live longer before. 

So the Prophet Nuh a.s. was the exception rather than the rule? Could his long life be considered to be his miracle?

• Advanced Member

In the quran it says Noah lived for 950 years

But after the great flood Allah decided people will live shorter lives

So as time passed on......the lifespan of humans was less and less

People in the middle ages lived for 30 years.......but i bet their lives were long in relevance to space and time.....what i mean is that even if people today live to be 70 or 80 years old.....their life went by faster than a person who lived to be 20 or 30 years old in the middle ages......

I think the human lifespan will get shorter and shorter in the future......people will have shorter lifespans.....

Our sins, our mistakes, our actions cause us to live shorter lifespans.....

Now to answer your question

Why would anyone want to live to be 950 years old.....i know i don't want that......even today you hear people who are old say they want to die already because they had enough of this life.....

Personally i think as long as you live a happy life......then it doesn't matter how long you live.....

I think it is better to live a short 30 or 40 years than to live a miserable and unbearable 70 or 80 years...

it is all about happiness....

I say to people that this life is not worth it........death is a gift from Allah and is a right in itself......and an escape from this prison.....

The faster you die......the easier it gets for you......the longer you wait for death....the tougher it gets.....

• Veteran Member

950 years of life might seem attractive to the young who think its a blessing and miraculous but to someone who has seen life to know its reality its rather 950 years of prison time. What are you going to do except serve capitalism and tolerate evil for that long, having to unite with it and live with peace with it. To build and watch it get destroyed or appropriated. To live with disease or disability. Never having justice or the things that make life a life. All those fine things are with God. Here this world is a prison. Always has been. Death is our escape from Alcatraz. Only the secular elite who don't believe want to live long and that's because they have things that make a life a life and are devoid of taqwa.

Edited by Darth Vader

• Advanced Member
On 2/5/2017 at 10:44 AM, Hidaren said:

:salam:

An answer is that in the past people ate natural food, drank natural drinks, no chemicals were ever used in their foods while in our age, we ate nothing except contains chemical materials, even mineral waters contains chemical materials, just read the text on their bottles, another reason is that in the past people used to listen to natural music such as the singing of birds,... but now as researches shows if you listen to calm music, your blood pressure reduces and if you listen to something such as heavy metal, the amount of adrenaline in your blood will dramatically increases and thus the disorder in listening to music causes a terrible damage to body.

It might be strange but many of the diseases are caused by engineered viruses, such as HIV, for if this diseases really existed from the beginning then humanity would have been extinct for this disease takes 20 years to show up and thus one infected person could kill a whole city.

And about the prophet Noah(as), his life was a miracle and it was something that AllahÓÈÍÇäå æÊÚÇáì willed.

Who said 3 centuries ago people were living for 200 years? 3 centuries ago people used to use urine for antiseptic.. they had no proper medications.

Life expectancy has increased rapidly since the Enlightenment. Estimates suggest that in a pre-modern, poor world, life expectancy was around 30 years in all regions of the world. In the early 19th century, life expectancy started to increase in the early industrialized countries while it stayed low in the rest of the world. This led to a very high inequality in how health was distributed across the world. Good health in the rich countries and persistently bad health in those countries that remained poor. Over the last decades this global inequality decreased. Countries that not long ago were suffering from bad health are catching up rapidly. Since 1900 the global average life expectancy has more than doubled and is now approaching 70 years.

And to answer 1000+ years mystery. Is it possible thet people used to use different measurements? Or it might be just few people who lived over 900+ years?

Edited by magma

• Advanced Member
4 hours ago, Ron_Burgundy said:

Life expectancy has increased rapidly since the Enlightenment. Estimates suggest that in a pre-modern, poor world, life expectancy was around 30 years in all regions of the world.

If this is true, then there should be no word in the vocabulary of any languages as "old", besides look at the Islamic suggestions for health, many of the things that modern world discovered were mentioned in our sources centuries ago and since then, Muslims were among the most living people except for the caliphs and rulers for they were poisoned by the successors or died by sword, the life expectancy of the people of the whole world was low due to this expression of English:"Women die in childbirth and men die in the battlefields" without war, people could live and pass a century easily.

In the early 19th century, life expectancy started to increase in the early industrialized countries while it stayed low in the rest of the world. This led to a very high inequality in how health was distributed across the world. Good health in the rich countries and persistently bad health in those countries that remained poor. Over the last decades this global inequality decreased. Countries that not long ago were suffering from bad health are catching up rapidly. Since 1900 the global average life expectancy has more than doubled and is now approaching 7

As you say in the early industrialized countries which I assume you mean European countries, yes, the life expectancy increased due to the serious changes, before that time, the medics of the west tend to cure Europeans using spells, charms, curses, drawing cross on the sick people and claiming for healing rather than a real solution, after the crusader war the Muslim books were taken to Europe and it was the start of the age of change, which means the knowledge Muslims used to use for ages enhanced life expectancy in the west.

And to answer 1000+ years mystery. Is it possible thet people used to use different measurements? Or it might be just few people who lived over 900+ years?

It is the same measurement we use because it is mentioned in Quran and Quran was sent in a period which people used solar and lunar measurement system, which means people do live 1000 of years.

• Advanced Member
42 minutes ago, Hidaren said:

If this is true, then there should be no word in the vocabulary of any languages as "old", besides look at the Islamic suggestions for health, many of the things that modern world discovered were mentioned in our sources centuries ago and since then, Muslims were among the most living people except for the caliphs and rulers for they were poisoned by the successors or died by sword, the life expectancy of the people of the whole world was low due to this expression of English:"Women die in childbirth and men die in the battlefields" without war, people could live and pass a century easily.

I don't know what are you trying to say... There are many studies done and you could look at them. There are by the countries and i have not found a single one which could say that 300 years ago life expectancy was higher than today. 

46 minutes ago, Hidaren said:

As you say in the early industrialized countries which I assume you mean European countries, yes, the life expectancy increased due to the serious changes, before that time, the medics of the west tend to cure Europeans using spells, charms, curses, drawing cross on the sick people and claiming for healing rather than a real solution, after the crusader war the Muslim books were taken to Europe and it was the start of the age of change, which means the knowledge Muslims used to use for ages enhanced life expectancy in the west.

well that still doesn't say that life expectancy was higher in middle east 300 years ago. Could you please point out few people who lived 100+ years 3 centuries ago? And i am not arguing here that islam didn't contribute anything to modern science. 

48 minutes ago, Hidaren said:

It is the same measurement we use because it is mentioned in Quran and Quran was sent in a period which people used solar and lunar measurement system, which means people do live 1000 of years.

I would like to see some verses which could tell me that people that average life was 1000+ years... If you could share few verses with us that will be really helpful. 

• Forum Administrators
On 2/5/2017 at 6:37 AM, maghrebishia said:

Prophets live until their work is completed. Angels and Satan (Shaytan) are still at work and living a long life. 

• Advanced Member
On 2/5/2017 at 6:37 AM, maghrebishia said:

There is no evidence, from a scientific standpoint, that people actually lived for hundreds of years in the past.  Rather, people lived for shorter periods of time in the past, and that the average lifespan has increased over time with modern medical practices.

• Advanced Member

ويخطر لي أنَّه قال هو في موضع اخر ، والزمخشري في ( ربيع الأبرار ) : إنَّ المسلمين متفقون على حياة أربعة من الأَنبياء ، إثنان منهم في السَّماء وهما : إدريس وعيسى ، واثنان في الأرض : الياس والخضر ، وأنّ ولادة الخضر في زمن إبراهيم أبي الأنبياء (٢).

والمعمِّرون الذين تجاوزوا العمر الطبيعي إلى مئات السنين كثيرون ، وقد ذكر السِّيد المرتضى في أماليه (٣) جملة منهم ، وذكر غيره كالصَّدوق في ( إكمال الدّين ) (٤) أكثر ممّا ذكر الشريف.

وكم رأينا في هذه الأعصار من تناهت بهم الأَعمار إلى المائة والعشرين وما قاربها ، أو زاد عليها.

على أنَّ الحقَّ في نظر الاعتبار أنَّ من يقدر على حفظ الحياة يوماً واحداً يقدر على حفظها آلافاً من السنين ، ولم يبق إلّا أنَّه خارق العادة ، وهل خرق العادة والشذوذ عن نواميس الطبيعة في شؤون الأَنبياء والاولياء بشيء عجيب أو أمر نادر؟!

راجع مجلَّدات ( المقتطف ) السابقة ، تجد فيها المقالات الكثيرة ، والبراهين الجلية العقلية لأكابر فلاسفة الغرب في إثبات إمكان الخلود في

الدنيا للانسان. وقال بعض كبار علماء ، اُوروبا : لولا سيف ابن ملجم لكان علي بن أبي طالب من الخالدين في الدنيا ، لأنّه قد جمع جميع صفات الكمال والاعتدال. وعندنا هنا تحقيق بحث واسع لا مجال لبيانه.

This is a paragraph from a book called أصل الشيعة وأصولها,The origin of Shiism and its basis written by sheikh Mohammad Hussein 'Kaashef Al ghataa'. It says that Muslims in general agree that 4 prophets are still living till now: 2 of them in heaven, Issa and Idriss, and two of them on earth, Khidr (he was born in the era of prophet Ibrahim) and Elias.

Of course we shouldn't forget Imam al zaman who is living among us also.

The paragraph mentions some ordinary people who lived longer than the time span that is known today. (you can google some)

Who can keep his life for one day can keep it for thousands of years! he says

The sheikh also mentions some european scientists/scholars who say if it weren't for the strike of ibn muljam, Imam ali(as) would still be living till now because he obtained all the qualities of perfection and sobriety. 

Which got me thinking that long life span is stimulated by the person himself! With the permission of God of course. It depends on the destiny of the person concerned.

And as mentioned in other comments, it goes back to the surrounding and food also. People in the past were able to heal themselves but this was long ago when humans ate very healthy and maintained a very balanced lifestyle.

Edited by yasahebalzaman.313

• Veteran Member
On 2/5/2017 at 5:37 AM, maghrebishia said:

Great question.

IMHO, the answer lies in the population of the earth. As the population increases, the lifespan decrease overall (950 years --> 80 years).

Rudimentary example:

Assume a person eats 1KG of food in 1 year.
Assume there are 1,900KG of food in the world.
Assume only Prophet Nuh (as) and one other person are on the earth.
This would mean they could both eat 1KG of food per year for 950 years each totaling 1,900KG.

Now assume, there are still 1,900KG of food but there are 10 people on the earth.
1,900 divided by 10 people is 190 years of food meaning life is going to get reduced from 950 years to 190 years...

And so on.

this probably does not make any sense.

• Advanced Member
On 2/7/2017 at 5:58 PM, shiaman14 said:

Rudimentary example:

Assume a person eats 1KG of food in 1 year.
Assume there are 1,900KG of food in the world.
Assume only Prophet Nuh (as) and one other person are on the earth.
This would mean they could both eat 1KG of food per year for 950 years each totaling 1,900KG.

Now assume, there are still 1,900KG of food but there are 10 people on the earth.
1,900 divided by 10 people is 190 years of food meaning life is going to get reduced from 950 years to 190 years...

that is one way to look at it.....first time i read such thing.........very imaginative

• Veteran Member
8 hours ago, Quiet one said:

that is one way to look at it.....first time i read such thing.........very imaginative

Salaam and thanks.

We know Allah provides sustenance for everyone and we know resources on earth are limited so it was a natural conclusion.