Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Haydar Husayn

Zealous Convert Syndrome

Rate this topic

^People who have grown up in (Sunni) Muslim households tend to be more conscious of the ramifications of sectarianism, while converts to Sunni Islam usually take more of a "no holds barred" approach when it comes to Shi'ism and are quick to declare takfir.

Which is not really that surprising considering that most of them don't see 

3 hours ago, Haydar Husayn said:

We have also seen (and continue to see) many examples of this on ShiaChat. One minute they have converted (usual from, or via, Sunnism), and next thing you know they are Yassir Habib wannabes (or in some cases literally do become his followers). They often tend to have an unhealthy obsession with Sunnis/Sunnism, and tend to want to uphold an 'ultra-traditionalist' version of Shi'ism. In many cases they come across as wanting to be 'more Catholic than the Pope', so to speak.

I have personal experience of this. It got so bad that the person could no longer tolerate me any more due to my more cautious/moderate approach and views and unwillingness to support them in disseminating certain kinds of potentially slanderous sectarian material they were engaged in producing. This kind of attitude can be heartbreaking and has ended friendships and marriages. I cant say i understand the psychology behind it, i wish i did.

14 minutes ago, notme said:

How long have you been on shiachat?

31 Dec 2013.

But I've been a Shi'a longer than that, and have read older Shi'a threads on this website, and I can read Arabic so I also can read about Arab Shi'a, and I have not seen this.

Asalaamu alaikum,  

Definitely correct. In my community, we had a convert that went to Syria to join Al-Nusra and got himself killed. Before he left, he was always going on and on about what is halal and (more importantly) what is (in his opinion) haraam. We also have a couple of ex-Shias that are super anti-Shia. I don't mean like regular anti-Shia mentality that you find in most Muslim Sunnis, but severe obsession with Shiasm and everything wrong about them. 

5 hours ago, E.L King said:

31 Dec 2013.

But I've been a Shi'a longer than that, and have read older Shi'a threads on this website, and I can read Arabic so I also can read about Arab Shi'a, and I have not seen this.

That's because you're always in a world of your own. :)

When I was just reverted to Islam the first videos, lectures and websites are most of time Salafi/Wahhabi influenced. Their dawah projects are very intensive and all around presented.

They seem to be very puritan and reforming yet their fundaments are opposing Islam.

It was their hypocrisy on political issues and the christian and jewish concepts they had that made me realize they weren't representing truth at all.

Edited by Talut

On 2/5/2017 at 11:35 AM, shiaman14 said:

I think it is natural for the pendulum to swing the other way before it comes to the middle.

Some people swing higher than others.

It's sad when they swing extreme, then to the opposite extreme of disbelief. When that happens I always hope they find their way back to center before the end of their lives.

Guest silasun
On 2/5/2017 at 11:54 AM, notme said:

Some people swing higher than others.

It's sad when they swing extreme, then to the opposite extreme of disbelief. When that happens I always hope they find their way back to center before the end of their lives.

Some people pull the reins of the horse so tight that the reins snap and the horse goes out of control.

I definitely experienced this myself. I wasn't to the extreme but when I first converted I probably wasn't that nice to be around! It's a shame as that was my family's first experience of Islam :(

Although we have a great relationship now.

I had an obsession on practicing the outward aspects while I did little to work on myself inwardly. I guess the outward stuff seemed easier to address. I also put it down to a combination of other things - being young (18 at the time), being passionate (I had just found Islam - the key to Jannah!) and also the influence of very literalist interpretations of the religion. Thankfully although I was only around a few practicing Muslims those Muslims were balanced in their views and my 'convert fever' didn't last long. The thing is I ended going extreme the other way for a while and didn't commit to practicing again until 4yrs ago.

There is also a backfire syndrome.

After being accused for a zealous convert for a long time, one becomes too easy-going and takes everything lightly without having any healthy criticism anymore or whatsovever.

I don't know which of the two is better.

Edited by Faruk

Agree. It's better to be balanced but the thing is as soon as you start trying to better yourself Shaytan is there in full force. And people often end up falling into the trap of becoming arrogant or (when they mess up) becoming hopeless and giving up altogether.

Also, I see a lot of this in born/young Muslims that they'll be like 'alhamdullilah I was born Muslim so I can do whatever I like while I'm young and I'll practice when I'm older and if were to die first then I'll still die a believer so it doesn't matter'.

This is the thinking I fell into after living in Turkey for a while and I believe it's another trap of Shaytan in order to distance believers from the religion.

I've noticed that zealousness in religion, especially if someone has converted, is due to the person perhaps taking Islam into the core of his/her identity, and coupled that with a desire to be accepted in the Muslim community, and you have a recipe for a zealous convert. 

When people replace one kind of brain washing with another the primary problem remains i.e their black and white approach to others beliefs , narrow mindedness and self righteousness 

Likewise some drug addicts become zealous religious followers and replace one addiction with another