Jump to content
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Regarding veganism and the sunnah of the prophet

Rate this topic


Recommended Posts

  • Advanced Member

Salam,

I have been researching veganism extensively now and I have found an overwhelming amount of evidence that supports no meat & dairy is superior to moderation at any level, as everything from meat sources and dairy can be acquired through a proper plant-based diet. I am not sure how things were for the Prophet and his time but in this day and age it's become a common fact that livestock is detrimental to the planet, our health and just the ecosystem in general, while putting a lot of suffering on the animal itself.

I in my personal belief from what I have learnt now, is that eggs, diary and I will say all if not all halal sources of meat are all not 'permissible' and I use this term loosely not following Islamic Jurisprudence but more of a humane idea, because of the cruelty the animals go through, they are not treated as they should.

I have been deciding to transition more and more into a life of veganism but I continuously get told 'its wrong' 'goes against the sunnah of the prophet' 'it's not really Islamic to go lifetime vegan'

I want to know the legitimacy of these claims as I have enough evidence to support the claim that Veganism is indeed the forward way to go for human's evolution for health. Is it really unislamic to go vegan? I have not seen mentions of the Prophet eating any dairy (apart from Goats milk) and only ate meat when necessary for war etc. This could also be because of the limitation of sources of food they had at the time whereas we have sources from all over the world, all in one supermarket, all fruits and vegetables available at any season.

I am interested to hear the opinions of everyone who wishes to pitch in.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Advanced Member

Its not haram to eat veggies so yes you could eat them as much as you want and it is not haram to avoid meat so you could avoid meat. However, if you decide to go vegan just take vitamins and zinc tablets. I don't want you to go blind. 

 

Quote

Vegetarians are at risk for nutritional deficiency if they do not receive vitamin supplementation. We report a case of severe bilateral optic neuropathy in a patient who had been a vegan for many years and who did not take vitamin supplements. The patient, a 33-year-old man who had started a strict vegetarian diet at the age of 20 years, was referred for evaluation of progressive visual loss. “Improved health” was the reason for the diet, which contained no eggs, dairy products, fish, or other sources of animal proteins. He did not smoke or use alcohol, and his medical history was unremarkable.

The New England Journal of Medicine

Edited by Ron_Burgundy
Source and comments
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Veteran Member

In all seriousness guys...

 

Aside from our taste for meat, our cultural inclination toward it, and support from narrations from Prophet and ahlul bayt a.s. ...

 

Even setting that aside, this whole vegan thing is very short-sighted. Just if you look at the agricultural side alone, it's not as clear-cut as certain ideologically-motivated vegetarians say it is. 

 

At the end of the day, there are so many trends in nutrition and health. It's pointless to try to make sense of them all. Just eat foods that are halal, healthy, and eat a reasonable quantity. Simple. Everything else is just noise.

 

 

Also, dear OP I really hope that by research you don't mean watching "forks over knives." Documentaries are often... what's the word... full of crap. 

Edited by baradar_jackson
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Advanced Member
14 hours ago, HayderM said:

Salam,

I have been researching veganism extensively now and I have found an overwhelming amount of evidence that supports no meat & dairy is superior to moderation at any level, as everything from meat sources and dairy can be acquired through a proper plant-based diet. I am not sure how things were for the Prophet and his time but in this day and age it's become a common fact that livestock is detrimental to the planet, our health and just the ecosystem in general, while putting a lot of suffering on the animal itself.

I in my personal belief from what I have learnt now, is that eggs, diary and I will say all if not all halal sources of meat are all not 'permissible' and I use this term loosely not following Islamic Jurisprudence but more of a humane idea, because of the cruelty the animals go through, they are not treated as they should.

I have been deciding to transition more and more into a life of veganism but I continuously get told 'its wrong' 'goes against the sunnah of the prophet' 'it's not really Islamic to go lifetime vegan'

I want to know the legitimacy of these claims as I have enough evidence to support the claim that Veganism is indeed the forward way to go for human's evolution for health. Is it really unislamic to go vegan? I have not seen mentions of the Prophet eating any dairy (apart from Goats milk) and only ate meat when necessary for war etc. This could also be because of the limitation of sources of food they had at the time whereas we have sources from all over the world, all in one supermarket, all fruits and vegetables available at any season.

I am interested to hear the opinions of everyone who wishes to pitch in.

Salam

.... the world is not the usa. We in lebanon still have normal farms. And besides, if you and I stop eating meat the animals will still be slaughtered and mistreated anyway.. so as long as its halal there is nothing wrong with eating meat. There is a reason Allah swt made halal meat and not halal meat a thing.

Edited by kirtc
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Basic Members

It doesn't go against Islam to be vegan, but it isn't impermissible to eat halal meat.

If you want to be ethical about it, you can easily buy free-range eggs, or dairy from local farms where you know the animals are treated fairly. Same with the halal meat, research where the butcher actually gets their meat from and if anything you can go to a farm which slaughters halal meat and get it from there (my dad usually does this). 

But yeah if you want to get into veganism it doesn't go against Islam at all lol 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Veteran Member

As a proponent of meat, I was going to post a link about cattle causing Global warming. This link says that but then also says that we should consume less meat so demand decreases and so cattle farming would decrease thereby reducing Global warming.

So confused...

http://timeforchange.org/are-cows-cause-of-global-warming-meat-methane-CO2

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Advanced Member
23 hours ago, Ron_Burgundy said:

Its not haram to eat veggies so yes you could eat them as much as you want and it is not haram to avoid meat so you could avoid meat. However, if you decide to go vegan just take vitamins and zinc tablets. I don't want you to go blind. 

 

The New England Journal of Medicine

 

Haha thanks for the concern, I have studied it well and my information is not from documentaries haha, I will be giving it an attempt and see how it goes.

22 hours ago, silasun said:

When it comes to eggs then can you not just purchase free-range? How about meats - can't you do the same?

 

 

Its more of the health aspects to me as I believe its better healthwise without or very low levels of it.

21 hours ago, Ozzy said:

There was a companion by the name of آبي اللحم (literally one who refused to eat meat). There is no harm in opting for a vegan diet, especially when animals slaughtered for consumption are not done so according to Shariah, as well when an alternative diet is available.

However, this should not lead to preventing others who do consume meat that was from animals slaughtered according to shariah.

Diet will vary from person to person, culture to culture, country to country. Those who do prefer meat, should ensure the slaughters are humane.

 

Of course I agree I would not try to impose anything on anyone else, this is my personal choice of an experience as it would be everybody elses choice.

6 hours ago, shiaman14 said:

As a proponent of meat, I was going to post a link about cattle causing Global warming. This link says that but then also says that we should consume less meat so demand decreases and so cattle farming would decrease thereby reducing Global warming.

So confused...

http://timeforchange.org/are-cows-cause-of-global-warming-meat-methane-CO2

 

 

10 hours ago, maghrebishia said:

It doesn't go against Islam to be vegan, but it isn't impermissible to eat halal meat.

If you want to be ethical about it, you can easily buy free-range eggs, or dairy from local farms where you know the animals are treated fairly. Same with the halal meat, research where the butcher actually gets their meat from and if anything you can go to a farm which slaughters halal meat and get it from there (my dad usually does this). 

But yeah if you want to get into veganism it doesn't go against Islam at all lol 

 

My issue is currently more around the health aspects of dairy, I found improvements in my health when I cut it out, im glad im getting a general idea that its perfectly okay and down to personal opinon.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Basic Members
6 minutes ago, HayderM said:

Haha thanks for the concern, I have studied it well and my information is not from documentaries haha, I will be giving it an attempt and see how it goes.

Its more of the health aspects to me as I believe its better healthwise without or very low levels of it.

Of course I agree I would not try to impose anything on anyone else, this is my personal choice of an experience as it would be everybody elses choice.

 

My issue is currently more around the health aspects of dairy, I found improvements in my health when I cut it out, im glad im getting a general idea that its perfectly okay and down to personal opinon.

Well it could be that you are either lactose intolerant or allergic to dairy? I am lactose intolerant so I don't consume dairy products such as cheese/milk etc. and just find alternatives for it instead or lacto-free products. Around 65% of the human population is lactose intolerant so it wouldn't be surprising if it hurts other people's health too.

But yeah it's perfectly fine to do what you want and what you think is best for your health! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...