Anonymous

Burning questions

Rate this topic

27 minutes ago, starlight said:

Now imagine you divided the cake, so each “slice” was exactly 0 in width.  You would need to fit infinity slices together to make the whole.

God, it makes no sense to me.

Look, if each slice is 0 in width the total slices needed to put the cake together is also 0, because there are no slices to put together. So 0+0+0+0+0+0 ad inifnitum is zero not x ad infinitum.

This is why a more logical answer should be zero?

To my mind infinity makes sense when there's some bit to work with, any amount however tiny it may be. Eg 2.233333333 ad infinitum or 0.0034444444 ad infinitum. If we have zero to begin with then any attempt to divide would (should) result in another zero, ie. not in an unknown value, but a value that doesn't even exist.

1 hour ago, starlight said:

You would need to fit infinity slices together to make the whole.

The whole cake? or a whole nothing? or the 'absence' of the whole cake? :einstein:

@Marbles 

The theory of infinity is that if you were to draw a graph with a Y and an X axis, and plot a line where the value of the Y coordinate equals 1/X, so for example if you go across to x coordinate 5, the value of the y coordinate would be 1/5, if you went across to where x = 14, y would equal 1/14 and so on. If you were to plot that graph, it would look similar to:

https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=y+%3D+1/x+graph

even if you plot an X value of a hundred million billion trillion grazillion jillion bulbillion, the value of the Y would never equal zero.

Let’s say this graph went all the way across from 0 to infinity. At the plot point where x = infinity, the y value would touch the x axis

So when x = infinity, y = 0.

What this means is, when you divide by zero, the answer is infinity.

Easier now? :rolleyes:

39 minutes ago, saas said:

The whole cake? or a whole nothing? or the 'absence' of the whole cake? :einstein:

Look

12÷3=4

When we divide by 3 what we are essentially asking is that how many times 3 can go in a number? The answer here is 4.

Similarly,  how many times can 6 go in a number(12)

12 ÷6=2 The answer is 2. 

Now how many times can zero go in a number(12)? The answer is infinite times.

1 hour ago, Chewing Gum said:

Why human is the only creature who refuses to be what he is ?

So basically, if you were truly satisfied with something, its unlikely that you would be motivated to do more?

4 hours ago, myouvial said:

You did not reply any, so you cannot ask any question. haha

Hehhhhehe:]

Operson? His does silence communicatesplz somebody ask some silly bit simple question so that I could answer it plzzz 

And no maths or physics plz I have these 2 subjects badly:¢

1 hour ago, Chewing Gum said:

Why human is the only creature who refuses to be what he is ?

This one seems a bit simple and interesting

Because human has brain 

Ur question reminds me of a dialogue of a Bollywood movie assumingvthat u understand Hindi

Hum WO ni hotey Jo hum dikhatey- Hai Lekin hum WO hotey hai Jo hum chupatey hai 

See I believe that a man has emotions and attraction is one of the strongest emotions

A human brain gets attracted towards some thing which amazes him and he likes what amazes him and Tries to get in himself what he gets attracted to

Another reason if we see its our desires Which tend to make us become what we are not 

Like actors they fake not only to world but themselves too 

Until a man finds self satisfaction

Until and unless he is satisfuecwith himself he will try to gt happiness from outside by getting into things which he feels would satisfy him or make him happy

Its all game of mind I guess

Well I guess I answered the question quite well 

Now finally my turn yeahhhh 

What dies silence tells a person? His does silence communicates with us? What's the language of silence ? 

58 minutes ago, Pearl3112 said:

Ur question reminds me of a dialogue of a Bollywood movie assumingvthat u understand Hindi

Hum WO ni hotey Jo hum dikhatey- Hai Lekin hum WO hotey hai Jo hum chupatey hai 

insaan ka chehra bhi bari ajeeb cheez hai . Ye bilkul piyaz ki manind hota hai . Ess ko cheelay chalay jao . Jab tamam paratain (layers) cheel chukain gay tab ja kar asli chehra dikhnay ko milay ga

Edited by Chewing Gum

9 minutes ago, Chewing Gum said:

insaan ka chehra bhi bari ajeeb cheez hai . Ye bilkul piyaz ki manind hota hai . Ess ko cheelay chalay jao . Jab tamam paratain (layers) cheel chukain gay tab ja kar asli chehra dikhnay ko milay ga

you should go with scallions so you don't have to take of layers too see what's inside. 

12 minutes ago, Ron_Burgundy said:

you should go with scallions so you don't have to take of layers too see what's inside. 

That is very astute of you august brother but as per the prevailing hamartia ; humans have been wearing a mask for so long that they have forgotten who they were beneath it . 

7 minutes ago, Chewing Gum said:

That is very astute of you august brother but as per the prevailing hamartia ; humans have been wearing a mask for so long that they have forgotten who they were beneath it . 

this is so dramatic. 

@starlight 

I don't have a problem with understanding the theory of infinity, but the full extent of its relationship with the zero as it's taught in modern mathematics.

I trust the experts and accept their answer, so any number divided by zero is infinity or undefined. I'm not being a contrarian, but I think it's not an absolute answer. A different conception or theoretical basis could well bring up a different result. It seems the theory has been adopted to help experts formulate other, related theories better. 

Eg a simple search brings up this:

In order to work with infinity, you must first define it. You may think you know what infinity is, but really you don't have a concrete definition. In fact, there are many different definitions of infinity that you could use, each of which result in different behaviors. For example, the real projective line has a concept of infinity such that 1/∞=0, while when talking about infinite sets one uses cardinal numbers (another type of infinity) to represent the sizes of these sets. You must make it clear what infinity you are talking about in order to work with it.

http://math.stackexchange.com/questions/28940/why-is-infinity-multiplied-by-zero-not-an-easy-zero-answer

Thank you for taking the time to break it down for us. If one high school example doesn't quite explain it, the other does!

8 hours ago, repenter said:

You mean his answer was:

impossibru-meme.png

He is a doctor thou. I learn a lot from him.

About reversibility, he says "that liquefying coal into a liquid fuel and solid carbon is a irreversible process.'

My question : In term of irreversibility, human can not go back to the world again once he is judged in the hereafter/akhira. What is other occurance which prove of reversibility ? Is it when old age would become like a child again ?

Hahaha, he is handsome than above picture, with beards.

8 hours ago, starlight said:

@Marbles @all the rest of you who apparently suck at maths.

Here is a simple explanation. 

Imagine you have a round cake. Imagine you divide it by 2. Each half would be ½ the size of the whole. Imagine you divide it by 10, each part would be 1/10th of the size of the whole.

What this means is, whatever number you divide something by, the “bits” will all be the size each slice will be cut into.

If you divide something by 2, you will fit 2 pieces together to make the whole. If you divide by 10, you will fit 10 pieces together to make the whole.

Now imagine you divided the cake, so each “slice” was exactly 0 in width. You would need to fit infinity slices together to make the whole.

This is why dividing by zero is always infinity

Or dividing by zero is impossible, since there is no such cake with 0 in width.

My next question:

Can you divide the cake entirely similar each of them, wide, weight, volume, without any error of deviation ?

What is the measure to prove the cake division is  similar/just ?

Can human (or even Nabi Muhammad SAW or Imam a.s. themselves) do justice/adil 100% guaranteed ?

17 minutes ago, myouvial said:

Can you divide the cake entirely similar each of them, wide, weight, volume, without any error of deviation ?

No, my slice would always be bigger.:rolleyes:

19 minutes ago, myouvial said:

What is the measure to prove the cake division is  similar/just ?

Equality/similarity is not always the same as justice.

20 minutes ago, myouvial said:

Can human (or even Nabi Muhammad SAW or Imam a.s. themselves) do justice/adil 100% guaranteed ?

Not doing justice is zulm actually and Prophet (saw) and Imams are  Masoom,so yes.

15 minutes ago, starlight said:

No, my slice would always be bigger.:rolleyes:

Equality/similarity is not always the same as justice.

Not doing justice is zulm actually and Prophet (saw) and Imams are  Masoom,so yes.

Are you a martial artist or other artist ? or politician who do not answer direct to the point

or are you a cook who collect, mix, cook the ingredient,

23 hours ago, Marbles said:

Infinity is essentially undefined or unknown. I don't know whether it can be called an irrational number. I doubt it.

Infinity is where a wife's mind is. Undefined, lrrational, and you never get it.

22 hours ago, starlight said:

@Marbles @all the rest of you who apparently suck at maths.

Here is a simple explanation. 

Imagine you have a round cake.

To solve your arithmetic problem, first you have to define "round".

:D

Now "cake" is easy to understand:  :eat: