Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Donald J. Trump [OFFICIAL THREAD]

Rate this topic

• Forum Administrators
On 26/09/2016 at 9:23 PM, Haji 2003 said:

A decade ago I worked on a show with Mr. Trump. From my experience, I would argue that he views himself as a "sharp," and the people that invest or vote for him he views as "flats." 

Sharps take from flats

If you're voting for Trump because he won't be corrupt, you've badly misjudged the situation. In short, you're a flat.

The above was a quotation from a Quora post (by someone else).

Some new evidence of this:

Donald Trump’s administration is facing new questions about conflicts of interest after Jared Kushner’s family staged events in China to woo wealthy investors into luxury developments, with the prospect of receiving US green cards in return. 

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/may/07/jared-kushners-family-criticised-for-touting-cash-for-visas-scheme-in-china

Edited by Haji 2003

• Veteran Member
8 hours ago, Haji 2003 said:

The above was a quotation from a Quora post (by someone else).

Some new evidence of this:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/may/07/jared-kushners-family-criticised-for-touting-cash-for-visas-scheme-in-china

40 some years ago there was in my Army unit an Egyptian who had an EB-5 (or equivalent in time) visa who had enlisted to shorten the time until he gained citizenship. He did both --EB-5 and enlist-- for tax reasons.

Besides, this is legal immigration, not illegal immigration or child trafficking.

Edited by hasanhh
Besides ...

• 3 weeks later...
  • Veteran Member
5 hours ago, notme said:

So I've added this to my reading list: 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0083ZWTX0?ref_=dbs_s_def_awm_dirs_l_0&storeType=ebooks

I'm sure there was a reason it was declassified and is recently getting so much publicity. 

Don't waste your money on stuff like this. Another example is the Army's old Field Manual on Boobytraps. Mostly clothespin tricks.

• Moderators
1 minute ago, hasanhh said:

Don't waste your money on stuff like this. Another example is the Army's old Field Manual on Boobytraps. Mostly clothespin tricks.

Money? It's free. I have my old army common tasks manual if I want (or need) to go camping. I don't plan to resort to booby traps.  If it comes to that, I'm very good at hiding and I'm nonviolent. 

My point with this sabotage manual is that it appears that whoever is pulling Trump's strings is doing it "by the book". I haven't actually read it yet, but I'm guessing from the synopsis I read, Trump's presidency is simple sabotage, 1940s CIA style.

Here's the synopsis that I read: http://www.openculture.com/2015/12/simple-sabotage-field-manual.html

I will be honest with you guys. The US helped Afghanistan get rid of the Taliban who were killing everything in sight and the US also came in and brought money and helped the country establish a stronger government and army who has strong and close ties with Iran. Lol they showed this afghan villager who was near that big mother bomb thing and they asked him what he tought and he said khuda kuna ke padar bomb parta sar ya lol, what he said was next time let them throw the father of all bombs, whatever takes out the Taliban and brings safety and security there. Look Saudi and other gulf terrorist states use US soldiers in a business sense to do their work for them because Americans are good at that stuff so there is nothing wrong with using those people for good because if you don't they they will fall for the bad because Americans love to fight, drink alcohol, and woman lol like it or not but thats how they are and if you don't use their armies for good they will be used for bad because their economy is driven by oil.

• Forum Administrators

Robert Fisk about Trump's speech in Riyadh:

Trump talked of peace but was preparing the Arabs for a Sunni-Shia war. The fawning leaders of the Muslim world, needless to say, clapped away when the mad president of America had finished speaking. But did they understand what his words really portended?

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/donald-trump-saudi-arabia-muslim-speech-a7747856.html

• Forum Administrators

The only such observation I have come across in the MSM.

Ignoring the fact that most of the region’s terror victims, for example in Iraq, are Shias, ignoring the reality that both al-Qaida and Islamic State are hardline Sunni groups and ignoring Saudi complicity in the spread of extremist beliefs, Trump chose instead to direct his fire at Shia Iran.

Does he really believe that Iran, not Isis, is the foremost sponsor of terrorism?

Benjamin Netanyahu, Israel’s fiercely anti-Iran prime minister, must be in the running for string-puller of the year.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/may/27/observer-view-donald-trump-middle-east-iran

• Moderators

Regarding the news that Donald said Germany is "bad, very bad" or "evil", and threatened to stop German car companies from doing business in the US, I've read conflicting stories. Which (if any) is true? 

• Veteran Member
37 minutes ago, notme said:

Regarding the news that Donald said Germany is "bad, very bad" or "evil", and threatened to stop German car companies from doing business in the US, I've read conflicting stories. Which (if any) is true? 

Yahoo news has a "now" highly cited article.

l found more interesting DeutscheWelle's 28May coverage of Angela Merkel's speech before a CDU meeting in which she says Europe will now have to forge its own way without the US (Trump and post-Trump) or the UK (from Brexit)  "even if this includes Russia" (l think this is the exact quote)

• Forum Administrators

“This seems to be the end of an era, one in which the United States led and Europe followed,” said Ivo H. Daalder, a former United States envoy to NATO who is now the director of the Chicago Council on Global Affairs. “Today, the United States is heading into a direction on key issues that seems diametrically opposite of where Europe is heading. Merkel’s comments are an acknowledgment of that new reality.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/28/world/europe/angela-merkel-trump-alliances-g7-leaders.html?_r=0

• Forum Administrators
On 5/28/2017 at 5:35 PM, notme said:

Detailed explanation here:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/videos/2017-05-26/trump-s-g-7-debut-comes-with-slap-of-german-trade-video

• Veteran Member
On 5/29/2017 at 3:36 PM, Haji 2003 said:

Similarly to the "it is der Spiegel's fault", there is this from BBC about Martin Schulz's diatribe:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-40086626 

The focus of Schulz's condemnation is "unclear".

So, probably, there is something not publically known.

• 1 month later...
  • Veteran Member

Trump - - Tweets - - Tired

http://www.freep.com/story/news/2017/07/19/people-right-and-left-fed-up-president-trump-jokes-intrigue/479020001/ 

Not too long.

Theme: people are tiring of this Trash-Trump-Talk and accusations.

The Russians, according to the opine, are now the "find Big Foot" of American politics.

• Advanced Member
5 minutes ago, hasanhh said:

Trump - - Tweets - - Tired

http://www.freep.com/story/news/2017/07/19/people-right-and-left-fed-up-president-trump-jokes-intrigue/479020001/ 

Not too long.

Theme: people are tiring of this Trash-Trump-Talk and accusations.

The Russians, according to the opine, are now the "find Big Foot" of American politics.

In other words brother, western journalism can safely rest in peace, they have nothing of substance to report anymore, just ad-hominem attacks, and superficial details that no one cares about. 

• Veteran Member
2 hours ago, Mohamed1993 said:

In other words brother, western journalism can safely rest in peace, they have nothing of substance to report anymore, just ad-hominem attacks, and superficial details that no one cares about. 

Yep.!

Reason is that they go to college, major in keyboarding ("journalism" in the college catalogue) and then are turned loose on society with their "I-know-it-all" punditry.

• Advanced Member
14 hours ago, hasanhh said:

Reason is that they go to college, major in keyboarding ("journalism" in the college catalogue) and then are turned loose on society with their "I-know-it-all" punditry.

Education system is a joke man, I have a degree, but I have learnt a lot more through my own research. University taught me to memorize xyz, but stuff I would probably never ever use directly in life. You would think studying economics would allow you to understand the financial markets, how the economy works, but nah, you learn theoretical models that you're later told don't really serve much purpose in policy making either because they don't reflect reality well. So what have I learnt? Nothing really.

• Veteran Member

Hello,

5 hours ago, Mohamed1993 said:

Education system is a joke man, I have a degree, but I have learnt a lot more through my own research. University taught me to memorize xyz, but stuff I would probably never ever use directly in life. You would think studying economics would allow you to understand the financial markets, how the economy works, but nah, you learn theoretical models that you're later told don't really serve much purpose in policy making either because they don't reflect reality well. So what have I learnt? Nothing really.

Then you went to a poor University. 

You do not have to have a formal education to be leaned or successful.  However, a proper education should not just include facts, but also teach the student how to think, investigate and push the boundaries of their chosen field.

I do not know what "educational system" you are referring to.  But, if you think it is a "joke" then you no doubt wasted your time and money.

All the Best,

David

• Advanced Member
50 minutes ago, David66 said:

Hello,

Then you went to a poor University. 

You do not have to have a formal education to be leaned or successful.  However, a proper education should not just include facts, but also teach the student how to think, investigate and push the boundaries of their chosen field.

I do not know what "educational system" you are referring to.  But, if you think it is a "joke" then you no doubt wasted your time and money.

All the Best,

David

I went to a pretty good university, but math/econ are theoretical fields for the most part, you will learn how to model and think of how to make predictions about xyz, for instance how a tax credit would act as an insurance incentive against a demographic shock or how exchange rates vary over time. You will not learn how the financial system works, or what quantitative easing is etc., which are facts I would have much rather learned given its direct applicability to the economic situation. It's an interesting question to study, the problem is once you get to the modeling aspect, a lot of assumptions are made, these assumptions don't actually hold in the real world, however without them you can't really do much. The challenge lies when you actually get your results, and they differ pretty dramatically from what happens empirically, you just question the value of what you've done. Perhaps it is interesting to some people, I personally find the statistical side of everything better, programming and actually working directly with data makes it feel like you're working with the empirical stuff itself and using that to form conclusions. Looking back I would've probably done computer science instead. 

The problem is a lot of fields other than engineering and business tend to be pretty theoretical, so chances are what you've studied will not prove effective in your career unless you go on to become an academic, but not many people do that. It is not so much an institutional issue, or a thing specific to the US or any other country, its just that I think the system could do a better job of honing the skills you do need to do whatever you potentially see yourself doing. What I learnt would have been very applicable in an economics graduate program, but I've decided against that, so there is not much value to it. 

Edited by Mohamed1993

• Advanced Member

^^To add to that, @David66 don't you think it is odd that an economist cannot really explain why things happen the way they do fully? For example, if you ask me about the financial crisis, I can give you information about the housing crisis and the bad behavior of the banks (which btw I learnt through my own research, not as part of my education), but this is not even the full story, and in truth no one can really tell you the full story, even experts in the field. You can theorize about questions that are too complicated for the average layman to understand, but when it comes to things that people expect you to know given what you've studied, you can't really give them a definitive answer. I find this odd. 

• Veteran Member

@David66  &  @Mohamed1993

l agree with you both.

When l look back on college and even when l re-read my class notes and some of the books -[YES, l did keep them]- decades later, MOST of what l had was a WASTE of time and money.

True, l had some good teachers, a couple of good courses, and some academically-based 'like prep', but otherwise a waste. l recognized that a few times at the time.

l had one grad class and halfway through it l said to myself -in class- "this is freshman level stuff".

Math education is a bit different. One BIG problem is it there is little course structure for "applied" mathematics which as any experienced school teacher knows, practical application is the best way for students to learn.

The second BIG problem is 'demand' --to select a word. Colleges as really inundated with people wanting to be math majors, so the only way the departments can really function is to marginally instruct in the first two years so that those who are not both "good puzzlers" and "learn by instinctual osmosis" are eliminated.

• Advanced Member
2 hours ago, hasanhh said:

a couple of good courses

Yeah I had a couple of these too, more of the statistics oriented ones, you would use some of this material in data science work, so I can definitely say I learnt from those courses. But for the overwhelming majority of my econ/math courses, I can't really say its made me "smarter" for a lack of a better word in the field. Of course, I learnt technical tools to be able to perhaps answer questions of interest, but the answers themselves aren't definitive by any means, its all subjective and based on assumptions/opinions. Someone could ask you what do you think will happen to the economy? I can make predictions based on a technical framework, but any person can say anything without having studied or being technically equipped and still be more accurate. I think research in maybe the hard sciences is a bit more reliable, but in social sciences like econ, psych, theories are not very reliable. 

2 hours ago, hasanhh said:

practical application is the best way for students to learn.

Had very little of this, spent a lot of time on proofs. That's what separates a math degree from say someone who would pursue engineering, who don't really care for the theory stuff.

Edited by Mohamed1993

• Veteran Member
2 hours ago, Mohamed1993 said:

... I think research in maybe the hard sciences is a bit more reliable,[no "maybe" about it. What we have is from engineering practices and medical research !] but in social sciences like econ, psych, theories are not very reliable. [the psych is better because Freud is now a footnote,  but l find no science in social studies]

Had very little of this, spent a lot of time on proofs. That's what separates a math degree from say someone who would pursue engineering, who don't really care for the theory stuff.

Like the proofs we did in high school geometry, we learn to think in a logical, defining manner. Some of this is necessary for applied math so we know where our "tools" come from.

• Advanced Member
1 hour ago, hasanhh said:

Like the proofs we did in high school geometry, we learn to think in a logical, defining manner. Some of this is necessary for applied math so we know where our "tools" come from.

Hmm, well the proofs were really taking what you learnt in the more mechanical courses (calculus/linear algebra) and just learning why you do xyz, how it works conceptually, why etc. It is not the most applicable major by any means, but if you're in a profession which requires you to think really hard then it may be helpful, but not many career require that level or type of thinking. Then again, most careers use your education as a filter rather than an indication of how smart you are, so perhaps it doesn't really matter anyway what you study. I just did not like writing papers and reading an excessive number of books, and so a quantitative discipline was the way to go. Less subjective too. 

• Advanced Member
1 hour ago, David66 said:

Economics was not my major but I was required to take three economics courses.  I thoroughly enjoyed it and I found the concepts intriguing.  I use the basic concepts I learned quite often.

Honestly, the intro courses are probably the more applicable ones, you go higher up and it becomes very abstract. It is more "technical" but weirdly the more technicalities you introduce the more disconnected it becomes from the real world, because its harder to use a bunch of models, symbols and equations to describe what's actually happening or how people act.  

This is a very funny thread. Trump is a politician. Politics is the most corrupt field and has killed more people than another field. There really is no need to for such analysis on one politician. I would be more fearful over the politician you praise yet are bombing other countries without you noticing. I see Trump as such a clear man, he says what he will do. The greater threat is the politicians who promise and do not keep it. The politicians who destroy nations. That's just my opinion. Feel free to criticise. I would like to hear your views. 

• Veteran Member

lt is not just Kelly trying to clean-up the White House.

McMaster is also: http://www.politico.com/story/2017/08/02/mcmaster-national-security-council-241264   He has fired three more in the last three weeks, all who had been hired by Flynn.

Key Names:

Susan Rice + "unmasked" identities

Rep. David Nunes

Steve Bannon

Ezra Cohen-Watnick --had appealed the firing but this dismissal proceeded with the arrival of Kelly as Staff Chief.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Yes slick Donnie, A "polished" man who seems vindictive enough to go to the state of 2 senators and trash one that is basically dying. I am a resident of AZ and live in a city south of phoenix. AZ is an independent majority state. Everything with him is staged, Perhaps that is why he is so successful in the field of politics.I have washed my hands of politics: It is the world of men and it is fleeting. A t my age it is more important to focus on the Akhira. Amazing fact is that a Sunni Attorney out of Phoenix is running for Senator against Flake. Her name is Deedra Aboud.

18 minutes ago, Haji 2003 said:

Notice how all the Trump supporter signs are slick, designed and printed. But one of them isn't.  

blacks.jpeg

Edited by MariyahLaleh