Jump to content
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Women cannot go out? This cant be right.

Rate this topic


Recommended Posts

  • Advanced Member

What is with all these answers I keep finding on   Islamqa.com

For instance, I was searching for a topic on women/islam on google and I found an answer on "women going out" on google, through Islamqa.com (is this some sort of wahabbi website?)

This article seems so oppressive, surely this cant be right? I know women are the gems of our society, and we are required to protect them, but this article seems to be pushing it, do people really live like this? 

 

Article as follows:

 

 

Praise be to Allaah.

Islam came to protect women and their honour, and prescribed rulings that take care of that. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And stay in your houses” [al-Ahzaab 33:33]

Based on this, the general principle is that women should stay at home and not go out except for essential reasons or cases of need. Islam states that a woman’s prayer at home is better for her than her prayer in the mosque – even al-Masjid al-Haraam.

This does not mean that women have to remain prisoners in the house. Islam permits them to go to the mosque, and has made Hajj and ‘Umrah, Eid prayers, etc. obligatory for them. Among the kinds of going out that are prescribed are her going to visit her family and mahrams, and going out to ask religious questions from people of knowledge. Women are also permitted to go out for their own needs, but all of this has to be within the limits and conditions set out in sharee’ah, such as being accompanied by a mahram when she travels, or being assured that her route is safe when she moves about in her own city or locality. She should also go out wearing complete hijaab, and she should not be wearing make-up, adornments or perfume.

A number of texts have been narrated concerning this, including the following:

Ibn ‘Umar reported that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “If the wife of any one of you asks for permission to go to the mosque, do not stop her.” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 827; Muslim, 442)

Zaynab, the wife of ‘Abd-Allaah, said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said to us: “If any one of you (women) comes to the mosque, let her not wear perfume.” (Narrated by Muslim, 443)

Jaabir ibn ‘Abd-Allaah said: my maternal aunt got divorced and wanted to go and pick some fruit from her trees. A man told her off for going out, so she went to the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), and he said, “Never mind, go and pick the fruit from your trees. Maybe you will be able to give it in charity or do something good with it.” (Narrated by Muslim, 1483)

The entertainment referred to in the question may involve mixing or looking at strangers (non-mahram men), or travelling without a mahram, or many things that are of no benefit. So you have to be cautious and make sure that the entertainment really is permissible and halaal, and free of any haraam things that would earn the punishment of Allaah. If a woman goes out to a place where there is nothing haraam going on and she does not go out too frequently, there is nothing wrong with this. We ask Allaah to protect us, keep us chaste and make our commitment to religion good and strong. May Allaah bless our Prophet Muhammad,

 

Edited by Bazzi_
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Advanced Member
30 minutes ago, sidnaq said:

ummm this is a sunni page.Why dont you try searching for sistani if you follow him or ask shia scholars.Heres a shia scholar email

 sheikh.jaffer@masumeen.org  

 

28 minutes ago, Hassan Y said:

These are not shia rulings.

Of course, shia Islam is the most just sect, and this is all salafi propaganda, hamdillah we are part of this sect. But still, do people ACTUALLY live like this.... is this how women are treated in salafi/wahaabi countries? 

 

Whats more concerning is, whenever I google a question islamically related, 99% of the time Islamqa.com comes up as the first link. This is not problem for me as I already know who the authors are behind it (salafis/wahaabis) and I can easily disregard it and go to a Shia source. However, if someone who is curious about Islam, a new convert, or a non-muslim just looking for information..... they would fall into this trap, and this website would be their first source, and this is very damaging. Why are these salafi/wahaabi website ALWAYS the first ones to be recommended.....

Edited by Bazzi_
Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Bazzi_ said:

 

Of course, shia Islam is the most just sect, and this is all salafi propaganda, hamdillah we are part of this sect. But still, do people ACTUALLY live like this.... is this how women are treated in salafi/wahaabi countries? 

 

Whats more concerning is, whenever I google a question islamically related, 99% of the time Islamqa.com comes up as the first link. This is not problem for me as I already know who the authors are behind it (salafis/wahaabis) and I can easily disregard it and go to a Shia source. However, if someone who is curious about Islam, a new convert, or a non-muslim just looking for information..... they would fall into this trap, and this website would be their first source, and this is very damaging. Why are these salafi/wahaabi website ALWAYS the first ones to be recommended.....

hmm i actually just read what this guy wrote but i dont understand, what was the part you found conflicting?i dont see an form of extremism in the article.in fact it seems allright.though it dpends upon whether we have the same rulings 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Advanced Member
1 hour ago, sidnaq said:

hmm i actually just read what this guy wrote but i dont understand, what was the part you found conflicting?i dont see an form of extremism in the article.in fact it seems allright.though it dpends upon whether we have the same rulings 

Not neccasirly "extremisim". just a bit too much, It seems as though a women cannot go to the mall, or shopping, or the gym, according to this article, which all of my female relatives do.... I guess standards are different here in the U.S

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Veteran Member
35 minutes ago, Bazzi_ said:

Not neccasirly "extremisim". just a bit too much, It seems as though a women cannot go to the mall, or shopping, or the gym, according to this article, which all of my female relatives do.... I guess standards are different here in the U.S

Salaam,

This is true in Saudi where are not allowed to go to malls without a mehram, can't drive, etc.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bazzi_ said:

Not neccasirly "extremisim". just a bit too much, It seems as though a women cannot go to the mall, or shopping, or the gym, according to this article, which all of my female relatives do.... I guess standards are different here in the U.S

where does it say that? i dont see that women are not allowed to go anywhere, could you point the exact location of where you felt this is what he said? @uponthesunnah what do you think this person's saying?i dont generally support this guys argument but we cant say hes saying this or that because i dont exactly see it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Advanced Member
6 minutes ago, sidnaq said:

where does it say that? i dont see that women are not allowed to go anywhere, could you point the exact location of where you felt this is what he said? @uponthesunnah what do you think this person's saying?i dont generally support this guys argument but we cant say hes saying this or that because i dont exactly see it. 

The entertainment referred to in the question may involve mixing or looking at strangers (non-mahram men), or travelling without a mahram, or many things that are of no benefit. So you have to be cautious and make sure that the entertainment really is permissible and halaal, and free of any haraam things that would earn the punishment of Allaah.

 

What if a women goes to the gym, or the mall, or dinner, or an event......

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Bazzi_ said:

The entertainment referred to in the question may involve mixing or looking at strangers (non-mahram men), or travelling without a mahram, or many things that are of no benefit. So you have to be cautious and make sure that the entertainment really is permissible and halaal, and free of any haraam things that would earn the punishment of Allaah.

 

What if a women goes to the gym, or the mall, or dinner, or an event......

 

Hmmm well i see. yes he should clarify this a bit more better.but i think he means places such as night clubs however i dont know whether he is also referring to malls and the like.but howsoever he puts it, it doesnt matter cuz we follow shia not sunni school of thought.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderators
17 minutes ago, sidnaq said:

Hmmm well i see. yes he should clarify this a bit more better.but i think he means places such as night clubs however i dont know whether he is also referring to malls and the like.but howsoever he puts it, it doesnt matter cuz we follow shia not sunni school of thought.

Sister he means women are not allowed to leave their houses without a mahram man. Obviously the shia view doesn't forbid women from going out alone, but in Saudi Arabia they enforce this rule and are very strict about it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Veteran Member

These sort of rulings apply to cavemen times and can't be taken very seriously in this day and age when women have to go out for a variety of reasons, legitimate entertainment included among them. 

They are telling women don't go out unless it's necessary. Who will define the necessary.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Veteran Member

Actually, as a married woman, I like this article regardless of who wrote it! And i said married becuz honestly, back then when i was single, temptations where way less than now for me unfortunately!! 

I understand exactly why he said all of that and i can relate personally...

For some reason i was just thinking of how much comfort and stability in my life could occur if i could just not leave my house except for learning! but i can't decide that alone as for a married woman there are alot of responsibilities outside the little kingdom !

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Advanced Member
6 hours ago, Fatima NMA said:

Actually, as a married woman, I like this article regardless of who wrote it! And i said married becuz honestly, back then when i was single, temptations where way less than now for me unfortunately!! 

I understand exactly why he said all of that and i can relate personally...

For some reason i was just thinking of how much comfort and stability in my life could occur if i could just not leave my house except for learning! but i can't decide that alone as for a married woman there are alot of responsibilities outside the little kingdom !

To each their own, I see ur from Iran and I realize that things over there are much different than over here (in the U.S). I guess it all falls on the reader and there current location/situation. I don't totally disagree with it, to be honest, if this lifestyle were to be followed, sexual assault, rape, aggravated robberies ext. would all go down drastically... 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Hassan Y said:

Sister he means women are not allowed to leave their houses without a mahram man. Obviously the shia view doesn't forbid women from going out alone, but in Saudi Arabia they enforce this rule and are very strict about it.

He said travrl Travel*.and someone should ask if travelling to him means travelling with a mahram when lraving the country.i know tgeres a rule sbout muslim women who should travrl With mahrams in sunni islam.Well i dont know a rule but sonething there.ans this is for travelling from country to country

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Veteran Member
12 hours ago, Bazzi_ said:

To each their own, I see ur from Iran and I realize that things over there are much different than over here (in the U.S). I guess it all falls on the reader and there current location/situation. I don't totally disagree with it, to be honest, if this lifestyle were to be followed, sexual assault, rape, aggravated robberies ext. would all go down drastically... 

By that u mean i am in a situation where temptations are more around than where you live?? Actually being in iran, i am supposed to have less issues with going outside comparing it with the US and other open countries like the one i was raised in (lebanon)! But it's in fact,as difficult as being in other countries..if not worse..so it has nothing to do with places as much as it has with the nafs of every single person!

Everyone knows best about his inner self and it's borders and the on/off button of it! So we can't generalize any rule in this regard,but as i said the article makes sense to me !

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Advanced Member
2 hours ago, Fatima NMA said:

By that u mean i am in a situation where temptations are more around than where you live?? Actually being in iran, i am supposed to have less issues with going outside comparing it with the US and other open countries like the one i was raised in (lebanon)! But it's in fact,as difficult as being in other countries..if not worse..so it has nothing to do with places as much as it has with the nafs of every single person!

Everyone knows best about his inner self and it's borders and the on/off button of it! So we can't generalize any rule in this regard,but as i said the article makes sense to me !

I guess ur right, not the first time Ive been proved otherwise.... always learning on this site

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...