Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

are mixed race marriages still nearly impossible?

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

i come from a small shia community and there are not many suitable spouses to choose from ... so a few years back i tried other communities ... but i found people said no just because of race. recently i met a senior person in one community who said now people are more open minded. is this true??? i dont want to go back to those mosques to get to know them only to waste my time getting rejected again. tbh i found liberals were not as bad as religious folks who insist their daughter marries a najafi lol. so have you seen changes or is it terrible like before?

• Moderators

Young people nowadays are much more open minded than elder people when it comes to race and ethnicity.

The multi-ethnic potential couple have to decide how much they value the opinions of the elders or wait for the next generation to take charge. 

• Advanced Member
3 minutes ago, notme said:

Young people nowadays are much more open minded than elder people when it comes to race and ethnicity.

The multi-ethnic potential couple have to decide how much they value the opinions of the elders or wait for the next generation to take charge. 

oh absolutely agree ... but it doesnt really work like that. religious youth dont like to hurt their parents . i have been accepted by girls a few times and rejected by their parents because of race. also you got to remember most times you need to go to the father first and not the girl. father says no before you meet her.

but hey that i experienced some years ago ... has the community improved? is it worth trying again?

• Moderators
1 hour ago, kiptanui said:

but hey that i experienced some years ago ... has the community improved? is it worth trying again?

I think that's going to vary from one community to another.  Older folks are unlikely to change their way of thinking very quickly but if their children are getting older and still unmarried they might rethink their priorities. 

• Veteran Member

It is definitely not like before, things have been improving since more muslims are interacting and living among other cultures and races. In further generations it should improve further but from a muslim perspective you also have to deal with people questioning their faith more as they interact with other cultures and integrate into more diverse societies. 

Edited by King
  • Advanced Member

in my own ethical group tradition , before islam women were the one to take all father inheritance , so women had the inheritance of their fathers while men had to go out and work , when arab traders come to my land nubia they married the women to take their inheritance that were left to them by their nubian fathers and because even after we converted to islam we kept that tradition it became disadvantage to the young nubian males , cuz the land now became owned by arab men and they would only heir other arabs and not heir the nubian youth .. so the nubians then banned there women from marrying outside the nubians and if she did she loss her inheritance left to her by her father to her male brothers or uncles or any male in the family close to her father , and that male will have to give her part of the money that come out of the inheritance , inheritance back then were usually land or gold . 

so mixed race marriages were ok but it cuz problems to the community system thus it was banned , but that was long time ago before forced migration we were subjected too and now we live in city and the life kind changed .

• Advanced Member (With Brothers Forum Membership)

Well mixed races marriages should be fine. The problem certainly is when muslims start neglecting the religion factor when it comes to marrying. 

Edited by ali_fatheroforphans