Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Islandsandmirrors

Post Your Voices!

Rate this topic

How to help people with depression:

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1gUUCtVuGKj

2 hours ago, Marbles said:

Write! The only way to know if you can write a novel is to write one. If it's good, you will know it, if not, try again. If you are passionate, you'll find your voice and the necessary tools to carve the story you want to tell to the best of your ability. 

Writing programs may give you a sense of the language and some basic tools to work with, but I believe that the best way to learn the art of writing is to read its greatest practitioners, which is how you learn to identify quality literature from the portentous trash that infests bestseller lists, and build on that knowledge when you sit down to produce your own work.

You have my best wishes. Good luck.

I second this. Write a lot. And read. 

I will add: 

1. Read good books.

Books like White Oleander, Winter's Bone, Girl Interrupted, Lord of the Flies, etc. Books that deliver symbolism and insight into the human condition--why we do the things that we do to survive. Read books that deliver carefully crafted, poetically-written prose.

2. Play with your sentences and less on how much you're writing. Quality over quantity. 

Most writers focus on hitting a certain word count every day. That's not a bad thing, per say, but I find that when you focus on hitting your goal of 1,000+ words, you may rush in the process of trying to write well. 

Relax. 

3. Read your work out loud several times

4. Read poetry

Reading and writing poetry helps with sentence structure. Join a writer's workshop near your area that emphasize on writing, analyzing, and reading poems with others. This helps with building technique and the necessary skills for writing well. 

2 hours ago, Heavenly_Silk said:

Poem by Asad Ullah Khan Ghalib (Mirza Ghalib) in Urdu. Hope you like it! Sangemarmar bhai or is it Buntay mian? :D

http://vocaroo.com/i/s04w1Z3DaRD7

Loool that's crazy. I can hear Ghalib's howls of pain from his grave all the way from Delhi :hahaha:

Here, take this, it will help.

Untitled.jpg

If that doesn't work, naya galaa dalwa lo :P

@Islandsandmirrors that's a fine piece of advice. Thank you!

1. Agreed on the importance of poetry. Even if you don't write it, at least read it as seriously as you would read a novel. Poetry is language distilled. Mine its fields for the most powerful imagery ever created. Poetry helps you polish the internal rhythms of your prose. It is worth remembering that great prose writers were great readers of poetry even when they were not poets themselves. For prose that sings read prose stylists as different and diverse as Gabriel Garcia Marquez (he's great even in translation), Virginia Woolf, Vladimir Nabokov, Leo Tolstoy, Giovanni Verga (Italian writer who should be known more widely) etc.

2. Don't sweat over subject matter / content / storyline. It can be moulded into as many ways as you like to fit your writing style. Style is the key, how words are arranged on page, what is your imagery and how do you handle it, what mood are you evoking, and how do you engage the reader on a philosophical & subliminal level beyond the immediate context of the story. Example: Franz Kafka's Metamorphosis is a simple and fantastical tale but has a larger humanistic import that puzzles critics to this day (his whole oeuvre is outstanding). Or take José Saramago's Blindness. A novel that is a symbol or a parable of human depravity, an adult version of Lord of the Flies.

3. Which brings me to ideas. Never throw ideas directly at your reader. It hurts badly, I mean it hurts your writing. Craft scenes, sentences and characters whose very actions and utterances release ideas into the mind of the reader. Let the reader take charge of the interpretations. Easier said than done!

4. Another easy way to kill a novel is to turn it into a tool for propagating sociopolitical concerns, of any type and any variety.

5. Never let go of a sense of humour. Be as subtle as you can or as comically direct as you will but humour is literature's life's blood.

5. The importance of reading widely can't be emphasized enough. I can't presume to judge writing methods, for every writer has his/her unique way of working, but some new writers shut themselves off from reading in the fear that reading would interfere with their writing and "corrupt" their style. I can't disagree with it enough.

Every writer is in dialogue with his predecessors and s/he is producing a work that will ultimately have antecedents in the works of previous writers. This is natural progression of a style and/or genre. Influences are important but not be confused with imitation. There's a fine line to tread. You can neither reject past writers nor can you spend your life imitating them and rehashing the same old stuff.

7. Finally, show, don't tell is passé. It will have to be a combination of show and tell or any other combination that works for your particular story and writing style.

Here endeth the creative writing lecture :blush:

1 hour ago, Marbles said:

Loool that's crazy. I can hear Ghalib's howls of pain from his grave all the way from Delhi :hahaha:

Here, take this, it will help.

Untitled.jpg

If that doesn't work, naya galaa dalwa lo :P

You got the gist of my Urdu accent and cried in the process, my work here is done! : D

What this thread has taught me

There are really intelligent people with all sorts of talents here on shiachat, from really eloquent people, and those who know a lot about the mind and the arts, to those who are profoundly astute in writing .

We could really turn SC into something akin to the renaissance; shiachat can be a centre of learning and sharing ideas and progression of all kinds.

All of you geniuses are coming out of hiding.

Edited by uponthesunnah

3 minutes ago, uponthesunnah said:

What this thread has taught me

There are really intelligent people with all sorts of talents here on shiachat, from really eloquent people, and those who know a lot about the mind and the arts, to those who are profoundly astute in writing .

We could really turn SC into something akin to the renaissance; shiachat can be a centre of learning and sharing ideas and progression of all kinds.

All of you geniuses are coming out of hiding.

I'm glad I've enlightened you. 

Guest silasun

@Islandsandmirrors Brilliant thread! Anything that reunites the SC community with Sensei Jebreil must be worthwhile.

I also really enjoy the derailing of the thread into a writers club! Good job Marbs!

Edited by silasun

12 minutes ago, silasun said:

@Islandsandmirrors Brilliant thread! Anything that reunites the SC community with Sensei Jebreil must be worthwhile.

I also really enjoy the derailing of the thread into a writers club! Good job Marbs!

I must admit, the return of Jebreil even though it was temporarily was awe-inspiring.

Someone asked me for an analysis on my signature. Here it is:

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0keDhsiDioV

(Sorry everyone for my somewhat cracking voice--I have barely drunk water today for some reason and just realized it.)

2 minutes ago, Ron_Burgundy said:

You CANNOT think of ANYTHING but FOOD !

14 minutes ago, Ron_Burgundy said:

you have some hardcore british accent

Oh mum! don't turn off the telly!

Ehem Ehem, I think you meant to say "Television!" *Austin Powers accent* :P

Edited by Heavenly_Silk

7 minutes ago, Servant Of Jesus said:

im so new to this i dont know whats going on :) someone help me, im just in love with my shia brothers and sisters i love them as much as i love christians >< haha how do record voice audios

Welcome to the forum! :)

You can record here:

http://vocaroo.com/

Edited by Heavenly_Silk