Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Islandsandmirrors

Post Your Voices!

Rate this topic

13 minutes ago, Marbles said:

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0NJ7BlTnJN0

@Heavenly_Silk here you go. No more excuses :grin:

Apropos of our discussion the other day, here is a poem by Khwaja Ghulam Farid I recorded for you and @Irfan1214. Let's see if you can understand it. It's a sufi kafi in praise of Allah. (the full poem was too long and I messed up the latter part so I cut it up).

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0lDzfXH3C68 (Saraiki)

OMG! LOL, where did "bibi" come from? You're making me sound old :p

Marbles, your Urdu is too posh for me!

13 minutes ago, Marbles said:

Apropos of our discussion the other day, here is a poem by Khwaja Ghulam Farid I recorded for you and @Irfan1214. Let's see if you can understand it. It's a sufi kafi in praise of Allah. (the full poem was too long and I messed up the latter part so I cut it up).

wow! :D perhpas i will try too ... i am gonna write it before i record .. so i don't switch to english :D you are a grown up man now :D defo.

5 minutes ago, Heavenly_Silk said:

OMG! LOL, where did "bibi" come from? You're making me sound old :p

Oh that's a term of respect among us which is equivalent to sahiba and we use it across the age range. So relax, I'm not calling you old :D

15 minutes ago, Heavenly_Silk said:

Marbles, your Urdu is too posh for me!

Ha, really? I think that's pretty standard news channel-type Urdu. Ab waada poora kijiye...

1 minute ago, Marbles said:

Oh that's a term of respect among us which is equivalent to sahiba and we use it across the age range. So relax, I'm not calling you old :D

Ha, really? I think that's pretty standard news channel-type Urdu. Ab waada poora kijiye...

Why do you want to hear it? lol, you will laugh at me anyway! Also, the promise was to say something which I have already fulfiled :P

How to set goals (part 1)

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0y4Nu2hIURd

9 minutes ago, Islandsandmirrors said:

Thank you so much, i am listening to this, great so far and will post my thoughts on benefit of everyone after listening to it all. 

18 minutes ago, Islandsandmirrors said:

This was actually a great mini-podcast on setting goals. Three pieces of advice you gave truly resonated with me, an individual who works hard but tends to get overwhelmed:

1. Who are you doing it for? Is it something that you are ultimately doing for yourself, in that it is a healthy goal, and not say, trying to say modify ones body for trying to find a partner [rather than first and foremost making ones own-self happy]. If you want to do something to benefit others, and humanity, as it gives you a sense of purpose sand deep satisfaction, that's a healthy goal, but it has to be something you want to do. You can't be forced into a career you have no interest in at all if there are other options that are fair.

2. [This is one that hit me] Don't just write down your goals! [which i do]. Write down your progress! We can tend to forget we are making progress, however small, and focus on the giant steps ahead and completely lose motivation. Recognise what you've done and...

3. Try not to think about your goal as massive steps. Downsize it, and make baby-steps, and really try to make this as psychologically manageable as possible, so you actually act rather than freeze in fear at the illusion of insurmountability

Please keep these up if you can [obviously if there's time, as you and others have real life duties].

JazakAllah khayr

27 minutes ago, Islandsandmirrors said:

[Also for a future topic]

I have family members with depression, and also potential bi-polar tendencies. I'm studying this all anyway, but as someone who has perhaps more experience in this practically speaking than i, could you share any light in how to help [if that is even the right word or way of looking at it] people who have these conditions?

I could basically read and regurgitate what i learn from a text-book or whatever, but i feel there is also incredible insight in peoples actual practical experiences. 

Obviously as a disclaimer, none of what i or anyone else says on this thread is a replacement for consulting a proper medical professional etc. No liabilities can be claimed.

8 minutes ago, uponthesunnah said:

[Also for a future topic]

I have family members with depression, and also potential bi-polar tendencies. I'm studying this all anyway, but as someone who has perhaps more experience in this practically speaking than i, could you share any light in how to help [if that is even the right word or way of looking at it] people who have these conditions?

I could basically read and regurgitate what i learn from a text-book or whatever, but i feel there is also incredible insight in peoples actual practical experiences. 

Obviously as a disclaimer, none of what i or anyone else says on this thread is a replacement for consulting a proper medical professional etc. No liabilities can be claimed.

I think it's a great idea, and will record on the topic very soon :) 

I think it's a great idea, and will record on the topic very soon :) 

Do you have a degree in psychology or something? A lot of these sort of posts and recordings seem to show some powerful insight into the way the mind works over a range of different aspects.

But thank you, i am sure we can all benefit inshAllah! No pressure though, your real life duties come first.

2 minutes ago, uponthesunnah said:

Do you have a degree in psychology or something? A lot of these sort of posts and recordings seem to show some powerful insight into the way the mind works over a range of different aspects.

But thank you, i am sure we can all benefit inshAllah! No pressure though, your real life duties come first.

Thank you! I'm so glad to hear that these recordings have helped! :) I'm an English major and still in school, but I love psychology and attended group therapy for an extended period of time. Many times I helped the other patients out emotionally and I am prone to observing people's emotional states and feel what others feel. 

You're very welcome! Very happy that people like this thread. :) More posts to come, inshallah :) 

Thank you! I'm so glad to hear that these recordings have helped! :) I'm an English major and still in school, but I love psychology and attended group therapy for an extended period of time. Many times I helped the other patients out emotionally and I am prone to observing people's emotional states and feel what others feel. 

You're very welcome! Very happy that people like this thread. :) More posts to come, inshallah :) 

This probably explains why

I'm going to have to [inshAllah] work quite closely with patients and a podcast vocaroo series on the psychology of a patient and whatever useful advice and insight you've learned would also be amazing.

But i think i'm asking for too much here.

Thank you , we are all benefitting here i'm sure

2 minutes ago, uponthesunnah said:

This probably explains why

I'm going to have to [inshAllah] work quite closely with patients and a podcast vocaroo series on the psychology of a patient and whatever useful advice and insight you've learned would also be amazing.

But i think i'm asking for too much here.

Thank you , we are all benefitting here i'm sure

That would be awesome :) and not at all - like you said I think many would benefit 

Edited by Islandsandmirrors

16 minutes ago, Islandsandmirrors said:

That would be awesome :) and not at all - like you said I think many would benefit 

I have more topics i want to learn about but i will keep that list to myself for now. This thread is actually excellent.

Oh, and since 10 i've always wanted to write a novel, even registering on youwriteon. I've sort of flowed with creativity but i just feel as though there's an art and science to a novel, in that i need to pace and develop it and hold the story together for however many chapters allowing it to grow at an appropriate rate, and this i feel i'm unsure how to do it.

I think shiachat should pay you to teach us

2 minutes ago, starlight said:

@ErikCartman Thank you. 

dreamt last night that Abbas made a new rule that only one voice clip was  allowed per member.

Oops sorry i just woke up! after being admitted to hosptial last night :D didn't look at the thread. noted mam! 

what 'dreamt' .... jeez! you scared me :D i thought he actually did.

Edited by ErikCartman

33 minutes ago, ErikCartman said:

Here is the very fine collection of Cartman's Urdu Poetry for @DigitalUmmah @Ron_Burgundy @Heavenly_Silk @starlight @Marbles

Oh my days Lool! Where's the rest of our mentions? : ) 

Edited by Heavenly_Silk

13 hours ago, Marbles said:

It was nice and beautiful. I understood it and you know many among the modern poets think it's about worldly love but it's related to gnosticism (irfan).

On 1/21/2017 at 10:08 PM, Jebreil said:

بسم الله الرحمن الرحیم

السلام علیکم

Some may have forgotten, but SC was home to an angel who once sung an ode to a beautiful queen. He never finished that ode. A whole half remained uncomposed. But the brambles of time buried it, and the angel flew to a different grove.

But as I sat hearing the voices of many fine souls, my celestial vanity took me by the wings and pulled me down - down to a patch from the past, laid to waste by so much obsessing with the future. I cut through the bushes and recovered this moment of madness. Brave are you in recording five common words on vocaroo? Brave was I in writing a play and playing it out loud!

I am not the only angel whose voice is trapped in here. There is sweet AliMusa, serene Qaim, and, at 29:45, a mad, mad, very mad, man.

We are all destined for oblivious dust. But this swirl of dust has you still in his memory.

و علیکم السلام

UfM3ag.gif

13 hours ago, uponthesunnah said:

Oh, and since 10 i've always wanted to write a novel, even registering on youwriteon. I've sort of flowed with creativity but i just feel as though there's an art and science to a novel, in that i need to pace and develop it and hold the story together for however many chapters allowing it to grow at an appropriate rate, and this i feel i'm unsure how to do it.

I think shiachat should pay you to teach us

Write! The only way to know if you can write a novel is to write one. If it's good, you will know it, if not, try again. If you are passionate, you'll find your voice and the necessary tools to carve the story you want to tell to the best of your ability. 

Writing programs may give you a sense of the language and some basic tools to work with, but I believe that the best way to learn the art of writing is to read its greatest practitioners, which is how you learn to identify quality literature from the portentous trash that infests bestseller lists, and build on that knowledge when you sit down to produce your own work.

You have my best wishes. Good luck.

11 minutes ago, Marbles said:

Write! The only way to know if you can write a novel is to write one. If it's good, you will know it, if not, try again. If you are passionate, you'll find your voice and the necessary tools to carve the story you want to tell to the best of your ability. 

Writing programs may give you a sense of the language and some basic tools to work with, but I believe that the best way to learn the art of writing is to read its greatest practitioners, which is how you learn to identify quality literature from the portentous trash that infests bestseller lists, and build on that knowledge when you sit down to produce your own work.

You have my best wishes. Good luck.

Thank you so much for this advice brother! Do you also write?