Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Selam - meaning

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

Bismillah

One of main characteristics of Muslims is in words "(Es-)selam 'aleykum". But what these words mean?

Sunni Muslims are using 'aleyhi selam (a.s.) only for prophets (nebiyy) and messengers (resul) and non-humans as Jibril a.s. Shi'as, as I know, use this phrase for 'imams a.s. also. But: what does it mean?

If I have a friend called Hamid and when I meet him I say "selamun 'alejke, ya Hamid"... can I say, if I'm talking about him: I met my friend Hamid, 'aleyhi selam?

As I know, it won't be acceptable by any Muslim with some knowledge, but the question is again: why is so, what does it mean?

If I can't tell 'aleyhi selam for some random Muslim person, then, how come I can say "selamun 'aleyk" to the same person? Is the meaning of these words same? Or we misunderstood something?

Of course, explanation for this is in "Explanation for all the things" (Qu'ran)...

Allah swt knows best.

• Advanced Member

Salam alikuim is a way of greeting between believers/muslims and it come from word salam mean peace , so salam ] peace , alikuim mean to you , so the greeting mean " peace be on to you " .

the other salam you mention , seem like you confused between the respect salam we say after mentioning prophets name and the salam we say as greeting .. when we say prophet name as a way of respect we say prophet Mohammed a lihi salam = peace be upon him . . it's as a way of respect to the prophets .  

when we mention a righteous muslim scholar or companion or any of ahlylbat we say Radia Allah anhu mean god be pleased with them . 

and I think the greeting is the same whether it be sunni or shia they both greet and do the respect after prophats name same way .

• Advanced Member

It's exactly same if we say selam 'aleyhi or 'aleyhi selam... there's no difference. So, the meaning cannot be different.

I agree that selam should be used only for prophets, messengers, 'imams and Rooh a.s., if we don't have any further evidence.

But, what I tried to argue here is that "selam" is not greeting, somebody hijacked it and we're following them.

Anyways, the ultimate proof should be based on the Qur'an, Allah's swt Qawl, El-Haqq.

• Advanced Member
On 1/12/2017 at 5:25 PM, Aladin from Azra tribe said:

It's exactly same if we say selam 'aleyhi or 'aleyhi selam... there's no difference. So, the meaning cannot be different.

I agree that selam should be used only for prophets, messengers, 'imams and Rooh a.s., if we don't have any further evidence.

But, what I tried to argue here is that "selam" is not greeting, somebody hijacked it and we're following them.

Anyways, the ultimate proof should be based on the Qur'an, Allah's swt Qawl, El-Haqq.

the evidences on salam greeting from Quran : 

﴿ وَإِذَا حُيِّيتُمْ بِتَحِيَّةٍ فَحَيُّوا بِأَحْسَنَ مِنْهَا أَوْ رُدُّوهَا إِنَّ اللَّهَ كَانَ عَلَى كُلِّ شَيْءٍ حَسِيباً ﴾ surah nisaa ayah no.86

When you are greeted with a greeting, greet in return with what is better than it, or (at least) return it equally. Certainly, Allah is Ever a Careful Account Taker of all things.

﴿ تَحِيَّتُهُمْ يَوْمَ يَلْقَوْنَهُ سَلَامٌ ﴾ surah ahzab no.44

Their greeting on the Day they shall meet Him will be "Salam: Peace (i.e. the angels will say to them: Salamu 'Alaikum)!" And He has prepared for them a generous reward (i.e. Paradise).

﴿  وَإِذَا جَاءَكَ الَّذِينَ يُؤْمِنُونَ بِآيَاتِنَا فَقُلْ سَلَامٌ عَلَيْكُمْ ۖ كَتَبَ رَبُّكُمْ عَلَىٰ نَفْسِهِ الرَّحْمَةَ ۖ أَنَّهُ مَنْ عَمِلَ مِنكُمْ سُوءًا بِجَهَالَةٍ ثُمَّ تَابَ مِن بَعْدِهِ وَأَصْلَحَ فَأَنَّهُ غَفُورٌ رَّحِيمٌ (54) ﴾ surah al-An'aam  no.54

When those who believe in Our Ayat (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.) come to you, say: "Salamun 'Alaikum" (peace be on you); your Lord has written Mercy for Himself, so that, if any of you does evil in ignorance, and thereafter repents and does righteous good deeds (by obeying Allah), then surely, He is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.

• Advanced Member

Dear sakura,

thank you for your replies. There's no word "selam" in 4:86, but there's in other two ayets you quoted, There're a lot of ayets with this word and words with the same root. I'll try to write about all of them soon, if Allah swt wills so, and then we can see, with His Help, what is their meaning.

I started this topic because if we misunderstood this "basic word" we can do a lot of sins with our tongues, even without knowledge.

Allah swt knows best