Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
AbuHope

False desires

Rate this topic

Salaam Alaykum,

''God did curse him, but he said: “I will take of Thy servants a portion marked off; I will mislead them, and I will create in them false desires''

Some of the tafaseer are very straightforward and clear in this, however, this verse raises an issue in my mind that I can't get rid off, namely, Satan's power and creative abilities. Not only does he have power over ''a portion of His servants'' but he also will ''create within them false desires''. How does he create? Who gave him the power to create? He can create IN us? Does he create out of nothing or is there already something in us he builds upon? How do we recognize the false from the true desires? Surely there is a reason why he says false desires. Or are all desires false by default?

13 minutes ago, P. Ease said:

Salaam Alaykum,

''God did curse him, but he said: “I will take of Thy servants a portion marked off; I will mislead them, and I will create in them false desires''

Some of the tafaseer are very straightforward and clear in this, however, this verse raises an issue in my mind that I can't get rid off, namely, Satan's power and creative abilities. Not only does he have power over ''a portion of His servants'' but he also will ''create within them false desires''. How does he create? Who gave him the power to create? He can create IN us? Does he create out of nothing or is there already something in us he builds upon? How do we recognize the false from the true desires? Surely there is a reason why he says false desires. Or are all desires false by default?

bro all of us have the ability to create. I could go and "create" a cake right now. I imagine that this is the context of the word in this ayah. that the shaytaan is able to manipulate people into feeling/ wanting something that they did not want before

47 minutes ago, P. Ease said:

Salaam Alaykum,

Desires that go against the rulings of Islam would be the false desires. For example, loving my neighbor's wife would be false desire. Loving my wife, true  and correct desire.

Is the craving for a cake also a false desire when you're already full? Is psychologically stimulated marketing also a false desire? Is the craving for a cigarette for an addict also a false desire? If these are all false desires, which I think they all are, then Satan's ''creation'' and his ''power'' is made, processed and distributed by everyday people like you and me. Is it therefore strange to think that there's either a '' boss Satan'' for who all who have gone astray work for or that there is a ''satan'' in each and every one of us? In the long hadith of Imam Ridha (as) about Imamate there is this sentence where he describes those who feel they can appoint an imam for themselves:

''Their souls, I swear by Allah, have told them a lie. Falsehood has induced in them evil hopes.''

I feel like the Quranic verse has the same meaning as this.

6 hours ago, P. Ease said:

Salaam Alaykum,

Those desires which drive people away from God and bring him closer to destruction instead of benefiting him, are false desires. A person may say that I have created computer, but actually it discovered the way to make computer whose information was concealed in the universe. Creating is not like making a thing which was not already there, creating here means inventing. Allah (SWT) unveiled knowledge of ignorance so that by seeing its disgusting nature and ill-effects one may recognize that how great He (SWT) is. If He (AWJ) had not unveiled ignorance, we would be unable to know much about Him. Shaitan just made use of ignorance to invent lies but those are nothing but deceptions and last for very short time. 

5 hours ago, P. Ease said:

Is the craving for a cake also a false desire when you're already full? Is psychologically stimulated marketing also a false desire? Is the craving for a cigarette for an addict also a false desire? If these are all false desires, which I think they all are, then Satan's ''creation'' and his ''power'' is made, processed and distributed by everyday people like you and me. Is it therefore strange to think that there's either a '' boss Satan'' for who all who have gone astray work for or that there is a ''satan'' in each and every one of us? In the long hadith of Imam Ridha (as) about Imamate there is this sentence where he describes those who feel they can appoint an imam for themselves:

''Their souls, I swear by Allah, have told them a lie. Falsehood has induced in them evil hopes.''

I feel like the Quranic verse has the same meaning as this.

If eating cake may kill so much that it comes out of ones mouth, it is actually a false desire because it will kill you and you are doing suicide.

If shaytan can manipulate even my thoughts and desires, then what am I? How do I know what I am thinking is my own thought or something induced by shaytan?

And what is nafs then? Doesn't our own nafs cultivate false desires in our hearts? Is my nafs shaytan?