Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Ali_Hussain

The real housewives of ISIS

Rate this topic

https://www.facebook.com/bbctwo/videos/

(scroll down to find the video)

There has been a bit of controversy regarding a recent BBC show called 'the real housewives of ISIS' - from what I can see, the show basically mocks young western girls who traveled to Iraq and Syria in order to be concubines for ISIS.

I haven't read all the critiques, however one that I just came across says that the BBC has not right to laugh at this as they promote terrorist groups who are also guilty of this kind of behaviour, and families have been destroyed by the actions of these girls, not only in the middle east, but also in the UK (although I personally don't think that the families of these girls in the west deserve much sympathy)

Whilst it was in poor taste, it did seem to be a caricature of basically true events, although of course exaggerated.

As Muslims, do you feel offended by this kind of thing?

* It is possible that the show is a subtle dig as Islam veiled as a dig at isis, I watched watch it, so I can't say either way, I have only seen a short clip.

One gags sees a hijab-wearing woman, who met her husband online, saying: “It’s only three days to the beheading and I’ve got no idea what to wear.”

Another woman wears a suicide vest and asks her friends: “What do you think? Ahmed surprised me with it yesterday.”

But another radicalised wife turns up wearing the same explosive device and adds: “What a complete b****. She knew I had that jacket.”

In the first episode, which also touches on other topics including drones, the NHS budget deficit and abortion law, another actress, in the traditional Muslim headgear, is seen scrubbing the floor of a run-down house.

As she struggles to move around the kitchen, she says: “Ali bought me a new chain which is 8ft long. So I can get outside, which is great.”

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/2504783/new-bbc-comedy-show-features-sick-gags-about-western-women-groomed-by-isis-to-be-suicide-bombers/

Edited by Ali_Hussain

59 minutes ago, Ali_Hussain said:

As Muslims, do you feel offended by this kind of thing?

Not at all.

I think satire is useful when it comes to young impressionable girls being groomed. their online terrorist boyfriends paint this picture of some idyllic society where people can live beautiful islamic lives free from western intervention, at least there are things now which might make her think that things are not all they are cracked up to be. 

38 minutes ago, DigitalUmmah said:

Not at all.

I think satire is useful when it comes to young impressionable girls being groomed. their online terrorist boyfriends paint this picture of some idyllic society where people can live beautiful islamic lives free from western intervention, at least there are things now which might make her think that things are not all they are cracked up to be. 

I agree, the clip seems to be in poor taste, of course it is a parody, but like all parodies there is an element of truth to it.

I don't think it's in poor taste. There's a pool of satirical skits on Iraqi channels. I'm actually glad they made it and I completely agree with what DU has said. I think satire and comedy appeals to a bigger audience than -for example- a documentary would.  So it works! =D

17 minutes ago, yusur317 said:

I don't think it's in poor taste. There's a pool of satirical skits on Iraqi channels. I'm actually glad they made it and I completely agree with what DU has said. I think satire and comedy appeals to a bigger audience than -for example- a documentary would.  So it works! =D

I've just watched it again, it is kind of funny, it is a little like how you would imagine these brainless girls to act, but they aren't quite evil enough.

This is the trailer:

Edited by Ali_Hussain

Nothing from BBC is ever objective, they have their own agenda.

And their agenda with regards to Islam is to distort the image, both for muslims and non muslims a like.

This series is a subtle attempt at it under the cover of "comedy" just like that other series where "modern" muslims had to to live with each other big brother style. Start thinking and stop feeling.

If you trust the intentions of BBC, then for sure they have succeeded with you.

56 minutes ago, Ali_Hussain said:

I've just watched it again, it is kind of funny, it is a little like how you would imagine these brainless girls to act, but they aren't quite evil enough.

This is the trailer:

Wow, it seems, the governments in Europe are jealous of Islam. 

19 minutes ago, Heavenly_Silk said:

I couldn't even bring myself to watch that whole clip! It's very unfortunate that some Muslim girls/women will be lured into this, quite sickening really :(.

its understandable. 

girls of a certain age always fantasise about more exciting lives, and often try and live out their fantasies. that's why so many girls go after the "bad boy" types and start rebelling if they were raised by over strict parents. 

the terrorist scum have tapped into this, and made them feel like queens, probably for the first time of their lives. made them feel like pioneers, society-builders, mothers of the upcoming generation and so on and so forth. 

5 minutes ago, DigitalUmmah said:

the terrorist scum have tapped into this, and made them feel like queens, probably for the first time of their lives. made them feel like pioneers, society-builders, mothers of the upcoming generation and so on and so forth. 

That's very true indeed.

Guess they only realise the reality once its too late : /

I remember watching the "4 Lions" movie, same kind of mockey but with the males.

1 hour ago, Heavenly_Silk said:

That's very true indeed.

Guess they only realise the reality once its too late : /

I remember watching the "4 Lions" movie, same kind of mockey but with the males.

4 Lions seemed more realistic than this, it was only around 10% a parody, other than that I thought that it was pretty spot on (even when they are listening to dancing in the moonlight on their way down to London).

Edited by Ali_Hussain