Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

All seeing eye/Nazar

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

Assalmu Alaykum

First I would like to address that, I'm not sure if this topic belongs here or not. And the main point, I kind of understand what this means, correct me if I'm wrong but I think it's like the all seeing eye that protects you from people's jinx's and stuff like that. But correct me if I'm wrong but I think this is shirk and haram. I know a lot of Shia people who have this all over there homes including me. I don't believe that some eye will protect you from such things. All we need is Allah. I could be wrong there could be some deeper more detailed meaning behind it that I don't know. But could someone please ellaborate on thisimg_62374.jpg

If you'd like you can bring rulings from my marja, Sayyed Ali Al Sistani

Edited by AliAlsaidy
  • Advanced Member
Just now, ShiaChat Moderator said:

This topic is in the Islamic Laws & Jurisprudence, so you would need to say who your marja is then members can reply with his ruling. If you want to discuss people's opinions about this issue, the topic can be moved to another forum. 

Thank you brother I will edit my post right now to add my marja.

Interestingly, a lot of sunni's in north-africa also have this. I may be talking out of knowledge, but this is hidden idol-worship in my eyes. Humanity loves to lean towards innovation and disorder, which is why Prophet after Prophet were sent and book after book distorted, and had Allah [azwj] not had his way, the Quran may have met the same fate.

How can a idol plastic eye protect you ? Allah [azwj] has given us surahs to recite in the Quran and we must have reliance on him and him alone, rather than these idols.

I'm almost sickened looking at this. Is it anything but a form of shirk? 

La hawla wala quwata ila billah.

Edited by uponthesunnah

People don't really believe this can protect them, rather people enjoy the symbolism behind it and that plastic eye has turned into a cultural way of expressing the desire to ward off evil. 

All protection is ultimately from Allah (swt)

Edited by Islandsandmirrors
  • Veteran Member

In Morocco we have this as well as the ''hand of Fatima'' around our necks for supposed ''protection against evil eye''. These are all old fairy tales and there's nothing real about them. Beware of anything that celebrates one eyed stuff though. There's a very real reason as to why the Prophet said ''I will tell you something about the Dajjal no prophet before me has ever told; he has one eye.''

• Advanced Member

is an amulet for protection against the evil eye superstition, you know that someone who admires you or envies you, throw in you the evil eye (on purpose or without wanting it) and you start to suffer bad luck, misfortune situations until you die. Then people think that amulet protect them from the evil eye, but is not true, Allah protects you only.

• Advanced Member
16 hours ago, uponthesunnah said:

Interestingly, a lot of sunni's in north-africa also have this. I may be talking out of knowledge, but this is hidden idol-worship in my eyes. Humanity loves to lean towards innovation and disorder, which is why Prophet after Prophet were sent and book after book distorted, and had Allah [azwj] not had his way, the Quran may have met the same fate.

How can a idol plastic eye protect you ? Allah [azwj] has given us surahs to recite in the Quran and we must have reliance on him and him alone, rather than these idols.

I'm almost sickened looking at this. Is it anything but a form of shirk? 

La hawla wala quwata ila billah.

I think that too but see a lot of people are posting in this thread that this is haram too and we only need Allah (SWT) but I know a lot of Shias who have this in their homes/cars/possessions 

is there a marja ruling on this?

• Veteran Member
5 hours ago, realizm said:

:salam:

The khamsa (aka Hand of Fatima as believed by some Muslims) is widely used by sefarad Jews and I heard it is widespread in "Israel", so chances are that it is not even initially a Muslim symbol.

That's news to me. The khamsa is widely used in North Africa and is one of the still living symbols of the Fatimid Caliphate. I see it as a testament of how most North Africa was once shi'a by default. A sufi once told me that each of the five fingers represent Ahlul Bayt, i.e., Muhammad, Fatima, Ali, Hassan, Hussayn, peace and blessings of Allah be upon all of them. I really don't know anything else about it though, only through hearsay and some sufi manuscripts.

• Veteran Member
6 hours ago, P. Ease said:

That's news to me. The khamsa is widely used in North Africa and is one of the still living symbols of the Fatimid Caliphate. I see it as a testament of how most North Africa was once shi'a by default. A sufi once told me that each of the five fingers represent Ahlul Bayt, i.e., Muhammad, Fatima, Ali, Hassan, Hussayn, peace and blessings of Allah be upon all of them. I really don't know anything else about it though, only through hearsay and some sufi manuscripts.

http://www.myjewishlearning.com/article/hamsa/

Please read this. What they relate about Fatima (as) made me :angry:

• Veteran Member

wa alaykum assalam,

This has been discussed before, the eye as well as the hand are old pagan symbols that were stolen by the Muslims and turned into Islamic symbols.

But that's ok, I'm sure that the intentions of the people are not that these are pagan symbols, so we should encourage the wearing of them and decorating our mosques and homes with them, no problem.

I'm sure though, that if these particular symbols weren't also used by Sunnis, Shias would jump all over them, we would never hear the end about these Sunni pagan symbols. Too bad that people are unable to take a step back and see things for what they are.

I honestly don't know if any scholars have rulings against these particular symbols, assuming that they don't (given how widespread they are), but they have rulings against wearing a neck tie...