Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
B-Man

Are there any history buffs here?

Rate this topic

Hi - I am new here and hoping to find some help.

I am writing a fiction novel that takes place in 1880 in Tehran, the protagonist is a young theology student and I would love to chat with anyone that may have researched that era and what life would have been like for a cleric, students, etc.etc.

Trying to make the characters as likeable, believable and identifiable as possible.

I am Melbourne based if anyone is keen to chat face to face or happy to do the email thing.

Very much appreciated.

On 12/28/2016 at 8:11 AM, B-Man said:

I am writing a fiction novel that takes place in 1880 in Tehran, the protagonist is a young theology student and I would love to chat with anyone that may have researched that era and what life would have been like for a cleric, students, etc.etc.

Salam. Fars Newspaper was in existence from 1872, so in the 1880's it would be a popular newspaper.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fars_(newspaper)

Cyrus Cylinder was discovered in 1879, so that would be a topic of conversation in society.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyrus_Cylinder

Modern banking began in 1889, so if you needed a loan you would ask elders or sheikhs.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperial_Bank_of_Persia

Thank you Hameedeh - you have no idea how much I appreciate your reply - thank you.

I had no idea banking began then - I can already see I need to make a plot change because of this - you have helped me avoid possibly a very embarrassing situation.

I am making the big assumption that younger clerics of that era would spend some time in a seminary.

Would anyone know what training would be required in 1880? Where would they typically go for training?
My plot takes the central character from Tehran to Karbala on a pilgrimage. What would the transport of that day in that region be like?

Other questions I have are around the terms used to describe the clothing a young cleric would wear.
Maybe this has changed over the era - maybe it hasn't.

If anyone is interested in becoming a test reader I would love to hear from you.
It is a lot of work and I cannot afford to pay, so understand if there are no takers.

7 minutes ago, B-Man said:

My plot takes the central character from Tehran to Karbala on a pilgrimage. What would the transport of that day in that region be like?

In 1880 there were no modern conveyances such as trains, motor cars, trucks, airplanes or trams. From Tehran to Karbala would be by walking, camel, donkey or horse. 

6 minutes ago, hameedeh said:

In 1880 there were no modern conveyances such as trains, motor cars, trucks, airplanes or trams. From Tehran to Karbala would be by walking, camel, donkey or horse. 

:-) So I guess horse and carriage for someone from a noble family would be accurate.
I think (thanks to your answers) I am on the right track - no pun intended.

On 29/12/2016 at 0:11 AM, B-Man said:

When do you think you finish writing? 

It will be a good idea to contact some publishers several months before the finish date. 

I will be finished in October - still weighing up the pros & cons of the self vs traditional publishing routes.

I am a member of various writers' groups which have offered very helpful advice.

On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 1:00 AM, B-Man said:

I will be finished in October - still weighing up the pros & cons of the self vs traditional publishing routes.

I am a member of various writers' groups which have offered very helpful advice.

That era you are researching was the pre-Ayatollah times, which began in 1906. So you are historically correct in the titles you attach to people.

It is best if you study the period in some detail from a social and cultural perspective before writing a story set in that period. There is so much that goes into the background that you run the risk of painting an inaccurate picture and creating unbelievable characters with just a basic idea of the period.

On 11/02/2017 at 8:47 PM, hasanhh said:

That era you are researching was the pre-Ayatollah times, which began in 1906. So you are historically correct in the titles you attach to people.

Thank you :-)

On 12/02/2017 at 5:35 AM, Marbles said:

It is best if you study the period in some detail from a social and cultural perspective before writing a story set in that period. There is so much that goes into the background that you run the risk of painting an inaccurate picture and creating unbelievable characters with just a basic idea of the period.

Thank you Marbles - I have done a truck-load of reading and feel somewhat confident I won't go too far astray from the realities of that period. The more input the better which is why I am reaching out here to get as many varied inputs as possible. With each piece of information gathered it adds another texture to the canvas.

@hasanhh Thank you.

You can read 'The struggle for Persia' online by clicking on the fullscreen view (see image below) or scroll down to choose your download option. Click on the magnifying glass to make the size easy for reading.

https://archive.org/details/struggleforpers00stuagoog

fullscreen.jpg

On ‎20‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 4:02 PM, hasanhh said:

@B-Man

l remembered a book l read. lt is a personal narrative by an American who was employed by the Persian gov't and published in 1902.

The Struggle for Persia by Donald Stuart

Thank you Donald - will definitely have a read of this - this weekend.

Thank you so much for replying - very much appreciated.

On ‎20‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 4:29 PM, hameedeh said:

@hasanhh Thank you.

You can read 'The struggle for Persia' online by clicking on the fullscreen view (see image below) or scroll down to choose your download option. Click on the magnifying glass to make the size easy for reading.

https://archive.org/details/struggleforpers00stuagoog

fullscreen.jpg

Awesome!!!!!!!!! Thank you so much - more brilliant reading.