Jump to content
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Abbas.

Can Muslims give Zakat to Non-Muslims?

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

Salams 

My understanding is that Sunni Muslims do not permit giving Zakat to non-Muslims.[Source: Link]. However, Al-Mawrid Foundation [Sunni] and its fellows generally tend to present different narratives on many matters including this one. Their video on this topic is as per below. In comparison, I wanted to learn the traditional Shia view. What have the Ahl-ul-bayt taught regarding giving zakat to non-Muslims? Is there a difference of opinions among Shia scholars? Is there a difference between modern and classic rulings? etc. 

@Ibn al-Hassan @Qa'im

 
wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Zakat.. i am not sure ... but since Allah will feed regardless of one's religion what would hold us back to help someone out ... i guess you can give donation instead... Zakat I guess would be limited to 'Muslims'  since it's one of the basic pillars of 'Islam'. 

Edited by ErikCartman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, ErikCartman said:

Zakat.. i am not sure ... but since Allah will feed regardless of one's religion what would hold us back to help someone out ... i guess you can give donation instead... Zakat I guess would be limited to 'Muslims'  since it's one of the basic pillars of 'Islam'. 

hmm interesting. How do you infer that an Islamic pillar should benefit Muslims only? Can it not benefit human beings regardless of their religion? [just counter-arguing your thoughts for critical analysis' sake.....] 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wajib (obligatory) Zakat can only be given to Mu'mins (Shi'i Muslims), and some have said that even open sinners cannot be given zakat even if they are Shi'i Muslims:

Quote

Issue 1950: * It is necessary that the person to whom Zakat is paid is a Shi'ah Ithna'ashari. If, therefore, one pays Zakat to a person under the impression that he is a Shi'ah, and it transpires later that he is not a Shi'ah, one should pay Zakat again.

https://www.al-islam.org/islamic-laws-ayatullah-ali-al-husayni-al-sistani/zakat-part-ii-ii#disposal-zakat

There is only one case I know of where a non-Muslim can be given wajib Zakat:

Quote

(iv) It can be given to those non-Muslims who may, as a result, be inclined to Islam, or may assist the Muslims with the Zakat for fighting against the enemies, or for other justified purposes. It can be given to those Muslims also whose faith in the Prophet or in the Wilayat of Amirul Momineen is unstable and weak, provided that, as a result of giving, their faith is entrenched.

https://www.al-islam.org/islamic-laws-ayatullah-ali-al-husayni-al-sistani/zakat-part-ii-ii#disposal-zakat

Mustahab Zakat (sadaqa), however, can be given to anyone of any faith unless they are an enemy of Islam.

It can even be given to animals (e.g food)

Edited by E.L King

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Abbas. said:

hmm interesting. How do you infer that an Islamic pillar should benefit Muslims only? Can it not benefit human beings regardless of their religion? [just counter-arguing your thoughts for critical analysis' sake.....] 

If it was up to me ... I guess i will have Zakat payable to anyone who is needy .... but I know many jurist will barely pay attention to my analysis... i doubt they would even allow you to pay it to a Sunni let alone a non-Muslim... hmmm. I guess

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ErikCartman said:

If it was up to me ... I guess i will have Zakat payable to anyone who is needy .... but I know many jurist will barely pay attention to my analysis... i doubt they would even allow you to pay it to a Sunni let alone a non-Muslim... hmmm. I guess

Allowing or disallowing something is not even half the battle. The true impression of fuqaha' lies in their ability to convince people with their rulings, don't you think? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, hayaah said:

In the holy quran it says ".....and give charity to the poor". 

Sadaq or Charity is bit I guess different from Zakat... Zakat is mandatory .... since I am obviously not a jurist, but it's just a layman opinion, you can give 'charity, Khairaat, donation etc i guess to anyone and in any amount you can afford to... Zakat has a fixed % as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Abbas. said:

Allowing or disallowing something is not even half the battle. The true impression of fuqaha' lies in their ability to convince people with their rulings, don't you think? 

Yep very true! therefore I try to believe in rulings that meet the merits of logic, reason and wisdom. since we don't have Nabi or Imam among us in this period, so I don't think we should ever interpret their rulings as one of those either.  

I was merely suggesting it, based on my understanding of their 'conservative' rulings most of the time..... and you know what... they will have an instant ruling to hang me with this avatar.

Edited by ErikCartman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Abbas. said:

Allowing or disallowing something is not even half the battle. The true impression of fuqaha' lies in their ability to convince people with their rulings, don't you think? 

Their rulings come from their understanding of the Holy Qur'an and the hadiths.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, E.L King said:

Their rulings come from their understanding of the Holy Qur'an and the hadiths.

So do claim deoband and every other fiaqah too, no big deal. I give jurists the credit for spending a lot of time studying Hadith and Quran than a layman can, therefore we should consult them like we do in the case of Doctors and Lawyers, but that does not stop us in any way to ponder over it either. gotcha?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Abbas. said:

hmm interesting. How do you infer that an Islamic pillar should benefit Muslims only? Can it not benefit human beings regardless of their religion? [just counter-arguing your thoughts for critical analysis' sake.....] 

Well, this is an issue, which shall be asked from Marajas. However, I believe that Zakaat is mainly for Muslims because if Zakaat is given to non-Muslims and they buy some idols for worship or used such money against Muslims as for buying weapons to destroy Muslims. It seems to be not allowed. However, if Zakat is meant to be for poor to feed people, like installing a dinner platform to feed poor people regardless of their religion, there is no doubt about that, it is a virtuous deed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Irfan1214 said:

Well, this is an issue, which shall be asked from Marajas. However, I believe that Zakaat is mainly for Muslims because if Zakaat is given to non-Muslims and they buy some idols for worship or used such money against Muslims as for buying weapons to destroy Muslims. It seems to be not allowed. However, if Zakat is meant to be for poor to feed people, like installing a dinner platform to feed poor people regardless of their religion, there is no doubt about that, it is a virtuous deed.

Not just non-Muslim, non-Shi'a too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, ErikCartman said:

So do claim deoband and every other fiaqah too, no big deal. I give jurists the credit for spending a lot of time studying Hadith and Quran than a layman can, therefore we should consult them like we do in the case of Doctors and Lawyers, but that does not stop us in any way to ponder over it either. gotcha?

Nothing wrong with pondering over 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Irfan1214 said:

However, I believe that Zakaat is mainly for Muslims because if Zakaat is given to non-Muslims and they buy some idols for worship 

2

Many Muslims spend the zakat money on haram acts. If we give them zakat without keeping checks and balances, should we not give zakat to seemingly deserving non-Muslims without inquiry too? Or should we have a system that holds both Muslims and Non-Muslims equally accountable?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Abbas. said:

Many Muslims spend the zakat money on haram acts. If we give them zakat without keeping checks and balances, should we not give zakat to seemingly deserving non-Muslims without inquiry too? Or should we have a system that holds both Muslims and Non-Muslims equally accountable?

Issue 1953: * Zakat can be given to a poor man who begs, but can not be given to a person who spends it for sinful purpose. In fact, as a precaution, it cannot be given to a poor man who, as a result of receiving, feels encouraged to commit sins, even if he does not spend that sum for sinful purposes. In fact, as a precaution, it cannot be given to a poor man who, as a result of receiving, feels encouraged to commit sins, even if he does not spend that sum for sinful purposes.

Issue 1954: * As an obligatory precaution, Zakat cannot be given to a drunkard, or one who does not offer daily prayers, or one who commits major sins openly.

https://www.al-islam.org/islamic-laws-ayatullah-ali-al-husayni-al-sistani/zakat-part-ii-ii#disposal-zakat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, E.L King said:

Issue 1953: * Zakat can be given to a poor man who begs, but can not be given to a person who spends it for sinful purpose. In fact, as a precaution, it cannot be given to a poor man who, as a result of receiving, feels encouraged to commit sins, even if he does not spend that sum for sinful purposes. In fact, as a precaution, it cannot be given to a poor man who, as a result of receiving, feels encouraged to commit sins, even if he does not spend that sum for sinful purposes.

Issue 1954: * As an obligatory precaution, Zakat cannot be given to a drunkard, or one who does not offer daily prayers, or one who commits major sins openly.

https://www.al-islam.org/islamic-laws-ayatullah-ali-al-husayni-al-sistani/zakat-part-ii-ii#disposal-zakat

What if I am non-Muslim and I am sincerely not convinced by the arguments of the Muslims while living in an Islamic state? Does possession of idols or act of buying idols make me ineligible for zakat for the reason that I may possibly worship an entity other than the God of Islam?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Abbas. said:

What if I am non-Muslim and I am sincerely not convinced by the arguments of the Muslims while living in an Islamic state? Does possession of idols or act of buying idols make me ineligible for zakat for the reason that I may possibly worship an entity other than the God of Islam?

You are ineligible regardless of what you do unless you come a Muslim, and a Shi'i specifically.

Unless you fall in the category of someone who may be inclined to Islam as a result of this, or that it may assist the Muslims in fighting against enemies. These are the only two cases which are excluded when it comes to giving wajib zakat to non-Muslims.

Otherwise you will remain ineligible, no matter what you do, or how good of a person you are. It does not matter.

Edited by E.L King

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, E.L King said:

You are ineligible regardless of what you do unless you come a Muslim, and a Shi'i specifically.

Unless you fall in the category of someone who may be inclined to Islam as a result of this, or that it may assist the Muslims in fighting against enemies. These are the only two cases which are excluded when it comes to giving wajib zakat to non-Muslims.

Otherwise you will remain ineligible, no matter what you do, or how good of a person you are. It does not matter.

What is the reasoning of this ruling? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@E.L King 

I do not agree with you that Zakat should only be given to Shias, any poor has right over them as human beings but there are certain conditions. 

15 minutes ago, Abbas. said:

What is the reasoning of this ruling? 

Real fact is that the disposal of Zakaat should be in the hands of government departments and should be distributed in such as way that there should remain no any space that such money could be used to bring harm to anyone. It is for poor and should be spent for poor, but this money is not for buying idols and bringing harm to Muslims. It could be used effectively in the following ways to benefit whole of the people regardless of their religion:

1. Use money for constructing homes for all the impoverished class for their shelter.

2. Make a dinning area where poor can eat food for free.

3. Pay for the fee of the poor students no matter to which religion they belong to so that they can get educated and establish their lives.

4. Make hospitals for them so that they can get medical facilities. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Abbas. said:

What is the reasoning of this ruling? 

there could be many legit reasons, but I am more inclined towards ... hmmm prejudice, biased, being conservative, and i won't be surprised if Deoband had banned Shia for zakat in return too... so there you can get the idea... what went wrong with Jurists and Islam overall.... Fiqah that was supposed to be sign of intellectual and one's wisdom, has mostly resorted to biased against rival school of thoughts!!! everyone is equally responsible... 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, E.L King said:

Well you are disagreeing with the hadiths and the jurists.

You could disagree with your lawyer and doctor, why just we can't with Jurists.. all they did was studying books like I did for computer science or business administration. I won't mind them disagreeing with me on any of the software issue?

Edited by ErikCartman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Abbas. said:

What is the reasoning of this ruling? 

I don't know. And to be honest, it might be good to find out about the reasoning behind this, but it really doesn't matter to me. What matters is the ruling, to me. 

I believe in submit and obey.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ErikCartman said:

You could disagree with your lawyer and doctor, why just we can'y with Jurists.. all they did was studying books like I did for computer science or business administration. I won't mind them disagreeing with me on any of the software issue?

Well there is no use to disagree for the sake of it, without really any proof, you shouldn't even do that with your doctor and lawyer.

Also, a problem with this analogy is - if you disagree with your marja without any real proof from the Holy Qur'an and Sunnah - how will you practice this issue (zakat)? Then you are only left with the option of doing your own ijtihad, and since you are not a mujtahid and have no real authority to decree a fatwa, how will you practice this issue?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, E.L King said:

I don't know. And to be honest, it might be good to find out about the reasoning behind this, but it really doesn't matter to me. What matters is the ruling, to me. 

I believe in submit and obey.

I believe in utmost respect for our scholars and to fill their offices with a horde of questions. :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, E.L King said:

Well you can apply to a Hawza. I heard there's one in Qum and another in Najaf, maybe one day we can do taqlid to you if you succeed.

hmm! is KFC legal and free in Hawaza... if so i might as well quit this stupid life and take the next flight to Qum... and ultimatley become the Jurists the internet been waiting for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, E.L King said:

Well you are disagreeing with the hadiths and the jurists.

Where is the hadith or Jurists which says that money of Zakat could not be spent on the impoverished people in way when there is no plea that they might use it illegally. If you eliminate all ways of unjust use of the money by the people, it can be spent on anyone. Is not it ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Irfan1214 said:

Where is the hadith or Jurists which says that money of Zakat could not be spent on the impoverished people in way when there is no plea that they might use it illegally. If you eliminate all ways of unjust use of the money by the people, it can be spent on anyone. Is not it ?

On the first page, I posted the rulings where Sayyed Al-Sistani says wajib zakat can only be given to Shi'a Muslims. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...