Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
guest050817

The mercy of Allah [azwj]

Rate this topic

Yes, there are many ahadeeth like this one. Pretty much all books have a chapter on illnesses/calamities and how they are expiations of sins. Travelling spiritually towards perfection, one's view of sickness and pain changes with every step. It begins with viewing sickness/pains/tribulations as tests. Somewhere along the line you will be made to understand that, by the will of Allah, sickness and tribulations (even as tests) are nothing more than pure mercy and guidance. They are a na'matullah. And we pray (at least) 16 times a day to Allah to guide and protect us on the path of  ''al ladhina an'amta 'alayhim''. ''The ones He has given his ni'ma to.'' We must therefore understand that the more we ask Allah to guide and protect us, the more we will be able to bear pain and calamities.

It is with this very view, in this very understanding, that the massacre in karbala should be viewed. Imam Hussayn's (as) martyrdom was the  pinnacle of the ni'ma of Allah given to someone.

1 hour ago, P. Ease said:

It is with this very view, in this very understanding, that the massacre in karbala should be viewed. Imam Hussayn's (as) martyrdom was the  pinnacle of the ni'ma of Allah given to someone.

Thank you for sharing these extremely insightful thoughts,

It's very interesting you brought up the example of Imam Hussain a.s for i have read a narration on this issue:

Chapter 199 - Other rare ahadith

باب نادر أيضا

‘I asked Abu Abdullah [a.s] about the Words of Allah,Mighty and Majestic [42:30] And whatever affliction befalls you, it is on account of what your hands have wroughtdo you consider whatever befell Ali [a.s] and his family after him was because of their deeds and aquisition of their hands despite the fact that they were members of the family of al-taharah [purified by the will of Allah], the infallible people?

So he [the Imam [asws]] said: The Messenger of Allah [saw] used to turn to Allah[azwj] and seek his forgiveness during every day and night, one hundred times, without having sinned. Allah[azwj] wants his friends, especially, to suffer so that he may grant them rewards without sins.

عدة من أصحابنا ، عن سهل بن زياد وعلي بن إبراهيم ، عن أبيه جميعا ، عن ابن محبوب ، عن علي بن رئاب قال سألت أبا عبد الله عليه‌السلام عن قول الله عز وجل : « وَما أَصابَكُمْ مِنْ مُصِيبَةٍ فَبِما كَسَبَتْ أَيْدِيكُمْ » أرأيت ما أصاب عليا وأهل بيته عليهم‌السلام من بعده هو بما كسبت أيديهم وهم أهل بيت طهارة معصومون فقال إن رسول الله صلى‌الله‌عليه‌وآله كان يتوب إلى الله ويستغفره في كل يوم وليلة مائ مرة من غير ذنب إن الله يخص أولياءه بالمصائب ليأجرهم عليها من غير ذنب.

[Kitab Al Kafi - Volume 2 ] [Grading: حسن كالصحيح بل أعلى من الصحيح.  Mirat Al Uqul]

Thank you so much brother, I've never read that one, very profound.

Here are some more:

Abdul-Rahman son of al-Hajjaj has narrated saying that affliction was mentioned to Imam Abu Abdullah [Imam Sadiq], peace be with him, and what Allah, the most Exalted One, the most Great, has in store for a believer, so he said that people once asked the Prophet (pbuh&hh) about who in the life of this world is the most afflicted, tried and tested. The Prophet (pbuh&hh) said, "They are the prophets then people whose conduct is the very best. A believer is tested according to the measure of his Iman (conviction) and good deeds. One whose conviction is sound and action is good will have intensified afflictions, whereas one whose conviction is weak and so is his knowledge, his affliction will be little."

Zayd, the oil seller, has quoted Imam Abu Abdullah Hussein (a.s.) as saying, "Great rewards follow great calamities. Whenever Allah, the most Exalted One, the most Great, loves some people, He tries and tests them."

Abu Busayr quotes Imam Abu Abdullah Hussein (a.s.), peace be with him, as saying, "There are on earth elite worshippers of Allah; whenever something precious descends from the heavens to earth, Allah diverts it from them to others; and whenever a calamity descends, He sends it their way."

Al-Hussein ibn Alwan quotes the Imam Hussein (a.s.), too, as saying, "If Allah Almighty loves one of His servants, he pours calamities on him, drowning him in them; I and you welcome the morning then the evening in such condition."

Imam Baqir, peace be with him, has said, "Whenever Allah, the most Blessed, the most Exalted One, loves a servant, he immerses him in affliction. When he calls on Him, He would say, 'Here I am, O My servant! If you wish I speed up fulfilling your desire, I can do it; but if I treasure it [for you], it is better for you."

Abu Abdullah, peace be with him, has said that the Messenger of Allah (pbuh&hh) said, "A great tribulation is rewarded with a great reward. If Allah loves one of His servants, He tests him with a great calamity. Whoever accepts it will have won the pleasure of Allah, and whoever is angered by the calamity will earn Allah's wrath."

Najiyah has said, "I said to Abu Jafar, peace be with him, 'Al-Mughirah says that Allah does not afflict a believer with leprosy or leukemia or… anything else.' He said, 'He is unaware of the believer in Al-Yasin who is referred to in Surat Ya-Sin (Chapter 36 of the Holy Qur'an); his fingers were dried; then they were healed. He warned the disbelievers and returned to them the next day, but they killed him… A believer is afflicted with every calamity, and he dies in every way, but he does not kill himself."

I don't know the grading of these ahadeeth, but they all convey the same message. They explain the verses in the Quran Surah Maryam 19:73 till 19:80 where Allah promises those who are boastful and kafirun good things in this life only to add to their punishment in the akhirah while the calamities that befall the believer are a path to jannah.