Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
sidnaq

A reminder about death

Rate this topic

5 minutes ago, sidnaq said:

Sister, thank you for sharing the video. Very thoughtful. 

One of my friends had said that in the future,  humans might eventually be able to make lives eternel - meaning humans will be immortals at somepoint. 

Her reasoning was this :

" in the past, our ancestors had very short life expectancies, no technology, no advance treatmemts for fatal diseases etc....and they had no idea that in the future all these could be hugely improved/ exist.  So what makes you think that immortal humans will never exist in the future?"

I obviously think the idea is just ridiculous, but just wanted to share the views of an atheist on this topic.  

3 hours ago, hayaah said:

One of my friends had said that in the future,  humans might eventually be able to make lives eternel - meaning humans will be immortals at somepoint. 

Her reasoning was this :

" in the past, our ancestors had very short life expectancies, no technology, no advance treatmemts for fatal diseases etc....and they had no idea that in the future all these could be hugely improved/ exist.  So what makes you think that immortal humans will never exist in the future?"

I obviously think the idea is just ridiculous, but just wanted to share the views of an atheist on this topic.  

Being immortal is impossible. Okay for argument sake, imagine all diseases/cancer is eradicated and our genes are modified somehow that we don't ever age. The problem is that what if the sun blows up? What about the events which are not under our control??

We can never be immortal because this world is based on cause and effects and there is nothing that which is not under the control of Allah(swt).

So yeah this athiests argument proves nothing at all.

1 hour ago, ali_fatheroforphans said:

Being immortal is impossible. Okay for argument sake, imagine all diseases/cancer is eradicated and our genes are modified somehow that we don't ever age. The problem is that what if the sun blows up? What about the events which are not under our control??

We can never be immortal because this world is based on cause and effects and there is nothing that which is not under the control of Allah(swt).

So yeah this athiests argument proves nothing at all.

I dont think she was taking into account the changing nature of the universe or natural disasters. 

Plus the universe has been existing for billions of years already and by the time it vanishes, immortality might have already been established. ( this is probably what my friend wouldve said)

25 minutes ago, hasanhh said:

When you get towards End-of-Life it crosses your mind every day about what will happen to you on the Last Day.

Advice: Never be afraid to behave yourself.

Im never afraid of behaving myself , but I am always afraid of misbehaving with someone else unintentionally. 

3 minutes ago, IbnSina said:

Death in of itself is nothing you should fear, it inevitable. Maybe you are talking about the fear of dying and the pains that can be associated with it?

You should fear the actions you have or have not taken during your life time, that will be the only thing that you actually own and that are your creations, and the only thing you can carry with you down to the grave and what will speak for you when your raised again.

It is not a question about going to jannah or hell fire either, its a question of making Allah(SWT) pleased with you, even if you get to a jannah, maybe you will wish that you would have done more thing during your life on dunya to make Allah(SWT) even more pleased with you, once we truly understand the nature of Allah(SWT), I think we will feel ashamed regardless of what level of jannah we end up in.

I swear life on dunya is such a blessing and a true test to show yourself and your worth, but when you die, thats it. Game over, the book of deeds closes and then it does not matter what you wanted to do, what you could have done, what you should have done. Its just you and your previous actions left.

If you died in 10 minutes, would you be satisfied with your performance so far? I know for sure I wouldnt, I have for example not even done hajj yet, I have not completed me religion yet, I have wasted much of my time on pointless things, I have made many mistakes and errors but the biggest thing I regret is my state of ignorance that I allowed myself to end up in because I am lazy and undisciplined. That would be my biggest regret I think, allowing myself to be ignorant when all knowledge is available for me. InshaAllah Allah(SWT) will have mercy on us and help us strive towards the things that makes Him pleased with us.

Sometimes life seems so long and never-ending that we forget the purpose of living. But may Allah send us continous reminders of the akhira.

1 minute ago, IbnSina said:

Take it a day at a time.

There was a lecture I watched in farsi, I cannot find it anymore. But the sheikh was telling a story about how someone asked him how he can have so much noor around him. He replied by saying that every day you wake up is almost like a clean slate, like the day you were born, but your bad actions take away parts of your noor, so we should be very mindful of our actions and those actions that take away some of our noor and those actions that add on to our noor. From the second you woke up until today, can you think of any action that could have taken away some of your noor already? Maybe it was a curse word, a bad thought about someone, a display of slight rudeness, disobedience to your parents, a smal lie? And what are the opposites of that? A good word to someone, a good thought about someone, a display of kindness, making your parents happy/proud, being honest.

Dont let go of your noor and take it a day at a time. From sunrise to sunset. From birth to death.

But what if you have so many bad memories from the past that certain places, people or situations keep reminding you of them. This means you can never really start fresh with a clean slate unfortunately. 

21 minutes ago, hayaah said:

But what if you have so many bad memories from the past that certain places, people or situations keep reminding you of them. This means you can never really start fresh with a clean slate unfortunately. 

If you let your bad memories affect you, your present and by extension your future, then it is something that you allow yourself to do. You need to look forward and let it be, life is too short, it goes by too quickly to look backwards. Just like how your today turned into your tonight before you knew it, its not the day that went by quickly, its life that goes by quickly. Such a waste if we let people affect us like that.

To remember death constantly is the only way to battle Satan.

Reflect on what has passed of this world. Has any of it remained for anyone? Has anyone remained in it, be he noble or lowly, rich or poor, friend or enemy? Similarly, what has not yet happened of it resembles more closely that which has passed of it, than water resembles water. The Messenger of Allah said, 'Death is enough of a warner; the intellect is enough of a guide; precaution is enough of a provision; worship is enough of an occupation; Allah is sufficient as an intimate friend; the Qur'an is enough of a clarification.'

And elsewhere, 'Only affliction and trial remain of this world. If a person is saved, it is only by sincerely seeking refuge.' And Noah said, 'I found this world to be like a house with two doors. I entered through one of them and went out through the other.' Such is the state of the one who was saved by Allah: so what is the state of one who feels at ease in this world, relies on it, wastes his life by cultivating it, and is full of worldly demands?

Reflection is the mirror of good deeds and the expiation of bad deeds. It is the light of the heart, and guarantees ease to other people and success in obtaining betterment for the next abode; it allows one to foresee the outcome of one's actions, and causes an increase in knowledge. Worship of Allah is unparalleled when accompanied by this quality. The Messenger of Allah said, 'To reflect for an hour is better than worshipping for a year.'

The station of reflection is only obtained by him whom Allah has singled out for the light of gnosis (ma'rifah) and tawhid. -Imam Jaffar.

A golden part of Misbahal Shariah (the most noblest book in my opinion after Quran we have):

Contemplating death kills desire, cuts off the roots of heedlessness and strengthens the heart with Allah's promise of life hereafter.

It refines nature, breaks the signs of passion, extinguishes the fire of greed and renders this world vile; this is the meaning of the Holy Prophet's words: 'To reflect for an hour is better than a year of worship.' That hour of reflecting is the moment when you unite the ropes binding you to this world and fasten them to the next. The descent of mercy from Heaven never ceases when death is remembered in this way. If a person does not reflect on death, and on his own lack of any means to escape it, on his great incapacity, on the length of time he will spend in the grave and his bewilderment at the Resurrection, there is no good in him.

The Holy Prophet said, 'Remember the destroyer of pleasures.' When asked what that was, he replied, 'Death. Whenever one of Allah's servants remembers this when he is wealthy, this world is constricted for him. Whenever he remembers it in hardship, it is expanded for him.' Death is the first station of the next world and the last station of this world. Blessed is he who shows himself generous and benefits at the beginning, and blessed is he who has done his best at the end.

Death is the closest thing to accompany the son of Adam, although he deems it to be the furthest away. How much man inflicts on himself? What weaker creature is there? In death lies the rescue of the sincere and the destruction of the wrongdoers.

That is why some yearn for death while others hate it. The Holy Prophet said, 'If a person loves to meet Allah, Allah loves to meet him; and if a person hates to meet Allah, the Allah hates to meet him.'