Jason Howard

Want and need in relation to Allah swt

Rate this topic

:salam:

Hope you are all well.

Hopefully someone can shed light on this topic that I have found elsewhere which I myself would like an answer on too, using Hadith or Quranic verses. 

My questions are:

1. Why create us to worship him if he doesn't need our worship
  2. Why create us to worship him if he doesn't want our worship
  3. Why create us to give us him mercy, if he doesn't want to give us your mercy
  4. Why create us to give us him mercy, if he doesn't need to give us your mercy

That looks like 4 questions, doesn't it? But they all boil down to a single question which is this:

Why do anything if you have no wants or needs.

According to quran.com/35/15, Allah has no wants or needs, so that means that Allah did not want to give us his mercy and Allah did not have the need to give us his mercy, i.e. if you don't want to do something, why do it?

Please note that many who have attempted to answer this question have focused on the "need" part but have neglected the issue of "wanting".

Any input would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

2 & 3: He does want us to worship him and he does want to give us his mercy. He brought us to existence from his mercy, and commanded us to follow his authority to test us if we acknowledge him because he created you and everything. Wouldn't your creator deserve to be worshipped? 

1 & 4: These are questions that we humans with limited knowledge do not have an accurate answer for. Since God doesn't need anything but still created us and only asked to worship him in exchange, wouldn't that just prove how extremely merciful he is? He doesn't need our worship but he deserves it, He doesn't need to be merciful but He is.

4 hours ago, Hassan Y said:

2 & 3: He does want us to worship him and he does want to give us his mercy. He brought us to existence from his mercy, and commanded us to follow his authority to test us if we acknowledge him because he created you and everything. Wouldn't your creator deserve to be worshipped? 

1 & 4: These are questions that we humans with limited knowledge do not have an accurate answer for. Since God doesn't need anything but still created us and only asked to worship him in exchange, wouldn't that just prove how extremely merciful he is? He doesn't need our worship but he deserves it, He doesn't need to be merciful but He is.

Thank you for your input. 

So would it be proper to say that God created us and his desire to be worshipped is so that we can derive benefit from it?

Would you say that a "need" in this case is different to a "want"?

3 minutes ago, Jason Howard said:

Thank you for your input. 

So would it be proper to say that God created us and his desire to be worshipped is so that we can derive benefit from it?

Would you say that a "need" in this case is different to a "want"?

That's correct, everything God tells us to do is what's best for us. We may not understand everything but who are we to question his infinite knowledge.

God doesn't need anything, but God does want his creatures to follow his authority. I would say both these terms are different yes.