Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
ShiaChat.com
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Makeup fasts & salat if you didnt know about ghusl

Rate this topic

• Basic Members

Hello. I'm a woman in my mid 20's. I haven't told anyone this, but when I was around the age of 9 I somehow came across masturbation by myself, like it just happened, and I continued to occasionally do it as the years went on. I honestly didn't know what it was I was doing until I became a teenager. It wasn't until 2 years ago where I was on ayatollah sistani's website, that I learned that masturbation was haram in Islam and that it requires ghusl jinabat. I have been fasting and doing my prayers since the age of 9, but because I did not do ghusl, would that mean I have to make up all those years worth of fasts and prayers from the age of 9, even though I did not know what I was doing was haram and that I needed to do ghusl? What do I need to do?

Thanks for your help

• Moderators

Being najas from masturbation does not break your fast unless you masturbate while fasting, than that will break it. You must fast 60 extra days for each day you broke your fast, whether it's masturbation, eating, drinking and etc. Since you were najas all those years, you must repeat all your prayers as well. However, since you just recently found out about ghusl and all these years you didn't know that you had to do it, you should ask your marja (assuming it's ayatollah Sistani) if it's obligatory for you to repeat your fasts and prayers just to be sure. You may get lucky and you wouldn't need to repeat any of the prayers/fasts since you didn't know.

• Basic Members

I just sent Ayatollah Sistani's website a question. Thank you so much for the information. I was not aware that you have to fast an extra 60 days if you break your fast. I had to do that once when I was sick.

Edited by ruby5
  • Moderators
2 minutes ago, ruby5 said:

I just sent Ayatollah Sistani's website a question. Thank you so much for the information. I was not aware that you have to fast an extra 60 days if you break your fast. I had to do that once when I was sick.

If you have a good reason to break your fast, than you only have to repeat just that day and not 60 days. But if you break it intentionally with no good reason, than you must fast 60 days.

• Advanced Member
5 hours ago, ruby5 said:

Hello. I'm a woman in my mid 20's. I haven't told anyone this, but when I was around the age of 9 I somehow came across masturbation by myself, like it just happened, and I continued to occasionally do it as the years went on. I honestly didn't know what it was I was doing until I became a teenager. It wasn't until 2 years ago where I was on ayatollah sistani's website, that I learned that masturbation was haram in Islam and that it requires ghusl jinabat. I have been fasting and doing my prayers since the age of 9, but because I did not do ghusl, would that mean I have to make up all those years worth of fasts and prayers from the age of 9, even though I did not know what I was doing was haram and that I needed to do ghusl? What do I need to do?

Thanks for your help

You have to do Qadha of fasts and prayers.