Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
ChristianVisitor

Is Islam closer to Judaism or Christianity?

Rate this topic

Both Judaism and Islam lack any idea of a triune nature of God; God as more than One or rather "three-in-One".  Both lack any idea of God having ever literally incarnated Himself as one particular man.  Neither places any religious importance upon the idea of the cross, or Jesus' death as having salvational power for all mankind.  (Islam says it never even happened in fact;  Jews really don't say anything about it at all). Neither believes in God having had a literal son,  or any other familial relations, here on earth.  

Keeping aside the theological differences between Islam & Judaism & considering the basic concept of God as strictly One, with no son,  no incarnation,  no praying to Jesus or anyone else except God alone,  then Jews and Muslims would be essentially the same.   Christianity would be notably different from either of them in that respect, and in other areas as well. 

Christianity has destroyed the concept of monotheism among the Abrahamic faiths.

With Judaism, we share pure monotheism, laws (ritual purity, dietary, penal), recital of scripture, prayer/fasting/pilgrimage/alms, etc.

With Christianity, we share a belief in the universality of religion (Galatians 3:28), the belief in Hell (fire and punishment and not just void or purgatory), a solid concept of Satan and evil, an emphasis on belief and ethics over law and ritual (but Islam still maintains that deeds must compliment faith), and the concept of wilaya in Shiism is similar in some ways to Christology and the Body Christ (but without incarnation and atonement).

With both religions we share a lot, such as the belief in prophets and saints, eschatology, Judgment Day, personal accountability and ethics.

1 hour ago, ChristianVisitor said:

Want some feedback from Muslims here whether their overall theology is closer to Judaism or Christianity. 

:salam:

We cannot say which one is closer to us, each has its right points and wrong points, but we can compare two major branches  of Islam to Judaism and Christianity, and see which one is closer to which one.

For instance in the case of the savior:

A savior was sent for Jews, who was Jesus(as), the Messiah son of David some of them believed in it and some denied it, those who believed in him claim he is alive and is 2016 years old, and those who didn't believe in him and denied him claims he was not the savior, and the savior is Messiah son of David but he is not yet born and he will be born in the future, and in every age he is not still born, the first group became Christians the second ones remained Jews.

In Islam, a savior was sent again, Imam Mahdi(af), some Muslim accepted him and claim he is absent and he will come back and he is 1170 years old, and some denied him and said, he was not the savior, the savior is not yet born, he will be born in the future and in every age he is not yet born, the first group are Shias and the second group are Sunnis.

In this case, Sunnis are closer to Judaism and Shias to Christianity, which one is right? Quran confirms Christians view and the prophet Muhammad(sawa) said:" Whatever Sons of Israel(jews) did, Sons of Ishmael(Muslims) will do the same" we understand Shias are correct.

5 hours ago, ChristianVisitor said:

Want some feedback from Muslims here whether their overall theology is closer to Judaism or Christianity. 

Islam Is closer to Judaism when referring to religious practices. Firstly, Muhammad & Moses share similarities coming from mountains and establishin laws for their people (Israelites & Arabics). Their food has to be acceptable according to the sabbath, each having their own tradition on making their food, 'kosher' or 'halal' is the term they call it.  They have similar prayer routines where I believe Jews pray 3 times a day (morning, afternoon, night), & muslims their 5 salats daily. 

Secondly, they both contain a extra book aside from their personal scriptures called the hadith and talmud. These books are used for better clarification on their scriptures and help establish laws. They each have marjas and rabbis which are special scholars to debate on what to make a law canon for their countries & doctrine.

Thirdly, they both follow a specific dress code and must have their head covered for prayers. Their marriage are also limited to specific religions like a female muslim cannot marry outside of Islam and Jews must breed amongst themselves. Although I'll add that Christianity is DIRECTLY related to Judaism because Jesus was an actual JEW, who came NOT to deny the OT, but to FULFILL its prophecy. Meanwhile, Islam comes from left field to claim we both are corrupted.

Edited by The_Bible

12 hours ago, ChristianVisitor said:

I think Islam is close to Judaism. Sorry to say, but we believe that Christianity is not monotheistic and anyone who claims that Allaah سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى incarnated himself into flesh and had two natures that were united in one person is a kaafir (disbeliever). Any reasonable person would call this polytheism. Furthermore, the aqeedah of our righteous predecessors and the scholars after them were that anyone who claims that Allaah سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى literally sat on a throne, He would have been carried, had He been in anything, He would have been contained, and had He been from anything, He would have been a creation. 

وَتَعَالَى عَنِ الْحُدُودِ وَالْغَايَاتِ وَالْأَرْكَانِ وَالْأَعْضَاءِ وَالْأَدَوَاتِ لَا تَحْوِيهِ الْجِهَاتُ السِّتُّ كَسَائِرِ الْمُبْتَدَعَاتِ

He (Allaah سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) is beyond having limits placed on Him or being restricted or having parts or limbs, nor is He contained by the six directions as all created things are.

Since you believe that god/word or logos incarnated into flesh, had two natures, one divine and the other human nature, does it mean that your god was contained by the six directions? I can cite several differences between our aqeedah (creed) and the creed of Christianity. Not to hurt your sentiments, but our creed is far more superior and easy to understand, it's not complex nor do we belittle God. 

Edited by Kamaaluddeen al-Ismail

4 hours ago, Kamaaluddeen al-Ismail said:

I think Islam is close to Judaism. Sorry to say, but we believe that Christianity is not monotheistic and anyone who claims that Allaah سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى incarnated himself into flesh and had two natures that were united in one person is a kaafir (disbeliever). Any reasonable person would call this polytheism. 

No problem, we (Christians) have many opinions about Islam that you disagree with. Cannot be otherwise.

4 hours ago, Kamaaluddeen al-Ismail said:

Not to hurt your sentiments, but our creed is far more superior and easy to understand, it's not complex nor do we belittle God. 

What does your creed say?

10 hours ago, Kamaaluddeen al-Ismail said:

وَتَعَالَى عَنِ الْحُدُودِ وَالْغَايَاتِ وَالْأَرْكَانِ وَالْأَعْضَاءِ وَالْأَدَوَاتِ لَا تَحْوِيهِ الْجِهَاتُ السِّتُّ كَسَائِرِ الْمُبْتَدَعَاتِ

He (Allaah سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) is beyond having limits placed on Him or being restricted or having parts or limbs, nor is He contained by the six directions as all created things are.

Since you believe that god/word or logos incarnated into flesh, had two natures, one divine and the other human nature, does it mean that your god was contained by the six directions? I can cite several differences between our aqeedah (creed) and the creed of Christianity. Not to hurt your sentiments, but our creed is far more superior and easy to understand, it's not complex nor do we belittle God. 

The religion of Christianity is not based on understanding the trinity doctrine. It is more of accepting the it as the fulfillment of the old testament. Islam can say all it wants about Allah being one and calling yourself his slaves/servants, or claiming to be a fulfillment of both abrahamic faiths, but it is completely irrelevant to ANY mention of Judaism or Christianity.

In other words, how can a person believe Islam if it was never mentioned in the Torah & Gospel? Don't ya mentioned that both are somehow 'corrupted'? If it is corrupted are you suppose to just follow a religion with mere claims, and no evidence just bc ya don't understand the trinity? (btw it never even says the Gospel is corrupt). It may be more simple to understand bc all muslims had to do is memorize verses as rituals, and Jesus already spoke about that.

Matthew (6:5-8) - And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward. But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly. But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking. Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him.

Edited by The_Bible

23 hours ago, Kamaaluddeen al-Ismail said:

I think Islam is close to Judaism. Sorry to say, but we believe that Christianity is not monotheistic and anyone who claims that Allaah سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى incarnated himself into flesh and had two natures that were united in one person is a kaafir (disbeliever). Any reasonable person would call this polytheism. Furthermore, the aqeedah of our righteous predecessors and the scholars after them were that anyone who claims that Allaah سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى literally sat on a throne, He would have been carried, had He been in anything, He would have been contained, and had He been from anything, He would have been a creation. 

Fine. We can agree to disagree. I disagree with the Shia Muslims here even though we disagree but I still respect them and treat them as fellow human beings. 

By your religious description I take it you are a Salafi. I hope you realize that both Muslims (Shia and most Sunnis) and Christians show contempt to Salafi "Muslims."

Edited by ChristianVisitor

5 hours ago, ChristianVisitor said:

Fine. We can agree to disagree. I disagree with the Shia Muslims here even though we disagree but I still respect them and treat them as fellow human beings. 

By your religious description I take it you are a Salafi. I hope you realize that both Muslims (Shia and most Sunnis) and Christians show contempt to Salafi "Muslims."

If he was a Salafi, he would believe in Allah sitting on a throne. Clearly, from his post, he isn't a Salafi.

On 12/13/2016 at 0:45 PM, ChristianVisitor said:

I'm an ash'ari. Majority of Islamic scholars were Ash'arites. Here is a good article: https://mohamedghilan.com/2011/11/04/salafiwahhabi-or-ashari-its-a-matter-of-creed-among-other-things/