Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Enlightened Follower

Why are Lebanese secular compared to other Arabs?

Rate this topic

For instance, there are Lebanese that openly call themselves Muslim but they will drink, fail to pray, and wear short sleeves. Where as other Arabs like Iraqis and Gulf Arabs have the Janbiya(Bedouin headgear) and various other cultural attitudes and beliefs that facilitate in this case a closer association to Islam in comparison many Lebanese have abandoned the hijab and adopted feminist and liberal oriented lifestyle i.e. liberation from religion as opposed to following it. A close friend of mine told me that Lebanese were embarrassed to call themselves Arab with one person going as far to only eat French food to associate with another culture. I went through a quick search of each region and found these photos in the first search results:

Lebanese:

Image result for Lebanese

Iraqi:

Image result for iraqi

Gulf Arabs:

Image result for gulf arabs

Jordanian:

Image result for jordanian

Egyptian:

Image result for egyptians

Palestinian:

Image result for palestinian

Syrian:

Image result for syrians before the war

North African Arabs:

Image result for moroccans

Edited by Enlightened Follower

Figure

" Muslims in Lebanon are also less likely to identify primarily with their religion, rather than with their country, with equal numbers saying they think of themselves first as Muslim (30%) and saying they identify primarily as Lebanese (30%). Elsewhere, majorities or pluralities of Muslims identify more strongly with Islam than with their nationality — in many cases by lopsided proportions. Even in Turkey — a country with a long-running tradition of secularism — Muslim identifiers outnumber those who identify primarily as Turks by 13 percentage points. "

Even the Turks seem to be more religious than the Lebanese.

Figure

Source: http://www.pewresearch.org/2006/07/26/lebanons-muslims-relatively-secular-and-prochristian/

Lebanon is a state that the French colonizers established for minorities in the Levant. They were more well-received in Lebanon than they were in Syria for example. Beirut became "the Paris" of the Middle East, and a lot of Lebanese people speak French and have French names. Some of the biggest fashion designers in the world are Lebanese. The Americans also established an English university in Beirut in the late 19th century.

Because not all Lebanese people are Muslim. 1/3 of Lebanon are Christians, 1/3 Sunni Muslims and the rest Shias. Because of the diversity of religions in Lebanon, Lebanese people adapted to live with and respect the culture of the Christian people that want to be more secular. This secular culture started to effect the Muslims slowely, so they started to adapt to the secular life with the Christians. On top of that, one of the rules in Lebanon is that our president must always be Christian. The Shia and Sunni politicians came to an agreement on this because the Shias don't want a Sunni president to spread Sunni ideology in the country and vice versa, so they decided a Christian president that will enforce secularism will be the best option for the country.

5 minutes ago, Hassan Y said:

Because not all Lebanese people are Muslim. 1/3 of Lebanon are Christians, 1/3 Sunni Muslims and the rest Shias. Because of the diversity of religions in Lebanon, Lebanese people adapted to live with and respect the culture of the Christian people that want to be more secular. This secular culture started to effect the Muslims slowely, so they started to adapt to the secular life with the Christians. On top of that, one of the rules in Lebanon is that our president must always be Christian. The Shia and Sunni politicians came to an agreement on this because the Shias don't want a Sunni president to spread Sunni ideology in the country and vice versa, so they decided a Christian president that will enforce secularism will be the best option for the country.

Of course, but at least maintain your identity as opposed to assimilating to the dominant culture.

This why Muslims might decline in Western countries because they will assimilate into the majority secular culture.

25 minutes ago, Enlightened Follower said:

Of course, but at least maintain your identity as opposed to assimilating to the dominant culture.

This why Muslims might decline in Western countries because they will assimilate into the majority secular culture.

Most Shias in Lebanon put there religion above everything still, only the minority have fallen into the secular culture.

Scandinavian seems more Religious than those on the chart, in term of "values": human rights awareness, security, prosperity, etc. It's hideous to think that Arabian are more Islamic than non arab. 

tell me what is better than secularism in diversity If you live with hinduis, buddhis, konghucu, protestant, catholic, adventis, indiginious etc in a country for a long term? It leads to the peace.

N trust me there are a lots of agnostics in Ina, and also ignorant muslim extrimists for these past 5 years (imported, as an influence of Arab spring). they came in Paki earlier i guess.

one doesnt simply walk to Netherfield.

Edited by JasmineAila

13 minutes ago, JasmineAila said:

tell me what is better than secularism in diversity If you live with hinduis, buddhis, konghucu, protestant, catholic, adventis, indiginious etc in a country for a long term? It leads to the peace.

That is known as religious pluralism not necessarily secularism.

For instance, Muslim majority states can form pacts ensuring the religious rights of various minorities you don't have to have a secular government for that, for instance, Iran.

21 minutes ago, Enlightened Follower said:

No just good at navigating social media and seeing trends i.e secular Shia Lebanese journalists.

Here's another example:

Seemingly very pro Shia but overwhelmingly secular.

Well I already explained to you why Lebanese people are secular. There are plenty of Shias that are really secular like for example Haifa Wehbe who is a really popular singer known by everyone in the middle east. However these secular Shias are the minority in Lebanon, most Shias are not secular.

Ina is constitutionally a secular nation. they embrace pancasilais democrasy (Pancasila). but the gov only recognises only six formal religions. | freedom of religion is a basic need, a civil right. supposed to b no limitation.

not really, 

Infact, shi'ite muslim gather secretly, do rituals exclussively. Many ahmadiy lose their job, face difficulty in public service. and so so. 

2 minutes ago, kirtc said:

it seems you just want to criticize lebanese 

No I would like some answers to common misconceptions.

I have many Lebanese friends that I know and I wanted to have clarity on them compared to other people in the Middle East.

20 hours ago, Enlightened Follower said:

No I would like some answers to common misconceptions.

I have many Lebanese friends that I know and I wanted to have clarity on them compared to other people in the Middle East.

Lebanon is split down the middle between east and west, that is why we couldn't agree on a president for two years. After a satanic civil war of 15 years people have to learn to live together and be open-minded to each other. what you see today is a result of this mix along with colonization of france until less than 100 years ago. Sara Abdallah btw also a friend of mine is Canadian of Lebanese origin, she is extremely political to our cause but maybe not religious. As an observer, I have realized this generation was brought up to hate religion in general, because people tend to blame the civil war on religion. All my classmates and university mates are atheists. It just wasn't cool to believe in religion. But, you will find religious people in Lebanon.

To answer your question why are Lebanese mostly secular, is simply because they are. But we have a group of people who are in my opinion one of the closest people to Allah swt on earth. They are fighting for justice where no one else is. The only ones actually fighting isis and al qaeda. They live, eat, sleep Islam. Mashallah you will see they have a faith like no other. I don't believe in patriotism or nationalism but the Lebanese Shia are true to their cause. They have been fighting the zionists the longest of all arabs... so what can you say about them?

Yes most lebanese are secular but we have Hizbullah : )

On 08/12/2016 at 7:09 PM, Enlightened Follower said:

George Clooney's wife Amal Clooney from a Sunni Muslim background (from her mother's side) married to George Clooney who is nonreligious/agnostic:

Image result for Lebanese

:salam:

Druze from her father.

Funny statistics as from personal experience I have never seen a country where people identify to their religious group as much as Lebanon. Wonder where those surveys were done.

Edited by realizm

8 hours ago, realizm said:

I have never seen a country where people identify to their religious group as much as Lebanon. Wonder where those surveys were done.

No it says if you would rather choose your nationality or religious group i.e. what is more important, you might identify with both.

Hello,

14 hours ago, realizm said:

Funny statistics as from personal experience I have never seen a country where people identify to their religious group as much as Lebanon. Wonder where those surveys were done.

I wonder how it was prior to the Lebanese Civil War.

All the Best,

David