Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Vaping [OFFICIAL]

Rate this topic

zeesh_ali110

• Advanced Member

Salam dear brothers and sisters. So a week ago I got to know about vaping . Is anyone of you familiar with this and is there any difference in Vaping and Smoking Sheesha/Hookah ?

Edited by ShiaChat Mod
Vaping topics were merged into one OFFICIAL thread.

• 1 month later...
  • Advanced Member
On 06/12/2016 at 5:22 PM, magma said:

It's all unhealthy. Don't do it. 

Are you sure? I'm pretty sure that without the nicotine or marijuana it's fine but maybe you can probe otherwise?

My relatives houses always have somebody vaping.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

I vape. It's very different from hookah/sheesha. 

With a hookah, it's a water pipe that you use to smoke flavored tobacco. With vaping, you vaporize a flavored nicotine liquid and inhale the vapor. 

Hookah is more for the flavor and social aspect (you don't inhale + there's very little nicotine). Vaping is usually to help quit smoking because it has nicotine in it. 

• Veteran Member

Vaping is an option to give up smoking. I honestly would recommend other healthier alternatives.

Tbh, quitting smoking is easy if you have decided to do so and stay firm to your decision to have a healthier life. Vaping is just making the process slower imho, not easier. You suffer a lot, but you are not going to die because of not smoking (if any, it is the other way around hahaha).

• 1 year later...
  • Advanced Member

I see vape to be an amazing substitute for smoking.

No/minimal detrimental health effects, really saves your entire body from smoking.

Quitting the addiction of smoking is almost impossible for like 80% of smokers, but replacing it with vape will save you. Smoking is very dangerous for our bodies/lungs, and while vape sure is an addiction in and of its self, the positives surely outweighs the negatives, and I can say that it is 100x safer & better than smoking.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Hasan

Asalamu alaykum wa rahmatAllah wa barakattu ajma'een

I live in the US, so Western influence can really get to me, and Muslims living here. Basically I am a teen, and vaping (electric cigarettes) are trending for people my age, especially my peers in school. I found myself wanting to do this, but I didn't want to buy one, for reasons, being my parents would be very disappointing in me if I do, and I am under 18 thus it's illegal to purchase. My dad has one, and I use it secretly when he isn't around. I just wanted to know, is what I'm doing considered haram, or makrooh? I want to stop this habit, but I probably won't unless I know it's forbidden in Islam. Someone please advise me, inshaAllah.

• Forum Administrators
48 minutes ago, Guest Hasan said:

Basically I am a teen, and vaping (electric cigarettes) are trending for people my age, especially my peers in school. I found myself wanting to do this, but I didn't want to buy one, for reasons, being my parents would be very disappointing in me if I do, and I am under 18 thus it's illegal to purchase. My dad has one, and I use it secretly when he isn't around. I just wanted to know, is what I'm doing considered haram, or makrooh? I want to stop this habit, but I probably won't unless I know it's forbidden in Islam. Someone please advise me, inshaAllah.

Salam. Islam says if something is harmful to your body then it becomes haram for you. Did you know that nicotine can damage normal development of your brain? Instead of vaping you should encourage your father to stop doing that. Of course he is old enough that it's not going to hurt his brain development (the brain is pretty well developed by age 25), but it damages the lungs. Even people who do not vape can get injured from breathing secondhand aerosol from vaping. 

https://e-cigarettes.surgeongeneral.gov/knowtherisks.html#aerosol-exposure

Guest Hasan
3 hours ago, Hameedeh said:

Salam. Islam says if something is harmful to your body then it becomes haram for you. Did you know that nicotine can damage normal development of your brain? Instead of vaping you should encourage your father to stop doing that. Of course he is old enough that it's not going to hurt his brain development (the brain is pretty well developed by age 25), but it damages the lungs. Even people who do not vape can get injured from breathing secondhand aerosol from vaping. 

https://e-cigarettes.surgeongeneral.gov/knowtherisks.html#aerosol-exposure

Thanks. Truly helpful information.

He started vaping to quit smoking, and it worked, so I highly doubt he will quit vaping, sadly.

So what would be the worse act here, the vaping, or doing it without my father's consent?

May Allah bless you all

• 1 year later...

A patient has died after developing a severe respiratory disease due to vaping in the first such death in the US, say health officials.

It comes as experts investigate a mystery lung disease across the US that is linked to use of e-cigarettes.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said there were 193 "potential cases" in 22 US states.

Many of the cases involve vaping THC, the main active compound in cannabis, CDC experts said.

The cases were reported over the course of two months between 28 June and 20 August.

The person who died was "hospitalized with unexplained illness after reported vaping or e-cigarette use", Dr. Jennifer Layden, the chief medical officer and state epidemiologist in Illinois, said.

What is the illness?

The cause of the mystery illness has not been identified, but all involve vaping in some form.

"In many cases, patients have acknowledged recent use of THC-containing product," the CDC's head of non-infectious diseases, Dr. Ileana Arias, said.

Those affected had symptoms including coughing, shortness of breath and fatigue as well as some cases of vomiting and diarrhoea. There is no evidence of an infectious disease - such as a virus or bacteria - being responsible.

But there is much that remains a mystery.

"It isn't clear if these cases have a common cause or if they are different diseases with similar presentations," Dr. Arias said.

There have been 22 cases in the state of Illinois, with patients ranging from 17 to 38 years old.

Officials have ordered laboratory tests of vaping liquid samples in a bid to identify any harmful compounds.

Users in online communities have warned of the dangers of unregulated fake cartridges.

Is regular vaping safe?

No cause for the mystery illness has been identified - and the link to THC products is not clear yet either.

Mitch Zeller of the US Food and Drug administration said it was important to understand that "we find ourselves in the early stages of these investigations trying to piece together the facts."

He said the FDA was exploring whether the products were used as intended or being modified by adding something to them.

The president of the American Vaping Association, Gregory Conley, said in a statement on Thursday that he was "confident" the illnesses were being caused by devices containing cannabis or other synthetic drugs, not nicotine.

But Dr. Brian King from the CDC's office on smoking and health warned against thinking of vaping as completely safe.

"We do know that e-cigarettes do not emit a harmless aerosol," he said.

"There's a variety of harmful ingredients identified, including things like ultrafine particulates, heavy metals like lead and cancer causing chemicals," he said, along with diacetyl - a flavouring used to give a "buttery" taste that has been linked to "severe respiratory illness".

He also warned of the possibility that similar cases had been happening for a long time, but the connection between them had been missed.

"It's possible that the reported cases could have been occurring before this investigation was even initiated," he said.

• Veteran Member

4 hours ago, realizm said:

:salam:

' Yeah, why not just put an end to two centuries of epidemic lung cancer by just switching to inhaling unknown chemical agents ? '

Back in the 1960s, people commented that the hippie sub-culture screamed against tobacco, but then smoke marijuana.

• Basic Members

Hello. I am a Muslim from california. I have a question about vaping. I know nicotine is haram and smoking as well. But now there is soemthing called nicotine free juice, which you put in vaping machines. They don’t have nicotine at all so its much more safe and not addictive at all from a health viewpoint. But from an Islamic viewpoint, is nicotine free vaping allowed? 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Veteran Member

As reported this week, the Trump Administration will begin a limiting on e-cigs and vaping. This is in response to the development of serious and deadly cardio-pulmonary complications in the 16-26 year-old age group.

I could not find any study where vaping is directly compared to hookah use, but did find these two articles, chosen because they are not recent (FDA take note?) dated 2011 and 2016.

https://www.livescience.com/13582-hookahs-smoking-health-myths.html

From the journal "Drug and Alcohol Dependence", the hookah contains carcinogens, infectious diseases (especially in hookah bars) tar, CO, and so forth.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/305137.php 

The more data available in this article: 10XCO, 25Xtar, 125Xsmoke and 2.5Xnicotine than one cigarette; 

Recent info, Vitamin E acetate is coating the lungs of vapor-users with a plastic-like (vapor) deposition: 

https://www.theverge.com/2019/9/5/20851866/cdc-fda-investigation-vaping-lung-illness-vitamin-e  

OPINE: who thinks-of and who allows such public health hazards?

Vaping should be a way for smokers to reduce and then stop nicotine intake. Instead what seems to be happening is that vaping has been glamourised much like cigarettes were in the 20th century. Instead of John Wayne telling us how silky smooth cigarettes make our voice, we have Wayne John the local hipster telling us the bigger the cloud of vapour, the more ladies there will be chasing your plumes of Double Cherry Dip-Dab Delight vapour.

Shisha has also been glamourised, back in the 19th century we'd have smoking jackets, now the people dress up to go out to the umpteenth poorly lit shisha café.

The government has stood by and watched, and even now that governments are making noise they won't be able to stop the glamour, it took people probably 100 years just to get cigarettes to the social unacceptability they are now, and even then it hasn't stopped anything. People still spark up and tobacco is still big business.

• Advanced Member
3 hours ago, aaaz1618 said:

Vaping should be a way for smokers to reduce and then stop nicotine intake.

Exactly, there's some young people who vape but they've never smoked in their life... It's just become a new trend... It was originally intended to help smokers quit... But now even non smokers vape... 

• Moderators

My cousin, a smoker trying to use e-cigs to quit, shared an article which said the vape sickness is caused by contaminated products, not by the vaping process itself. The article she shared is the only one I've seen which says this, but it seems feasible.

57 minutes ago, notme said:

My cousin, a smoker trying to use e-cigs to quit, shared an article which said the vape sickness is caused by contaminated products, not by the vaping process itself. The article she shared is the only one I've seen which says this, but it seems feasible.

Contaminated as in by bacteria etc?

• Veteran Member
6 hours ago, aaaz1618 said:

they are now, and even then it hasn't stopped anything.

While nicotine addiction and other things promote continued tobacco use, as an article l read years ago said, it is the physical sensation of smoking itself.

Like a back rub, the draw on a smoke or vapor is "rubbing" the back of the throat or tingling the lungs --depending on the individual.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, aaaz1618 said:

Contaminated as in by bacteria etc?

The article seemed to imply that it was intentional or negligent contamination on the part of the manufacturer, but it was unclear what kind of contaminant, or I don't recall it saying. I do remember that it was "black market" products, not mainstream.

This isn't the same article, but the content is similar: https://arstechnica.com/science/2019/08/vaping-illness-investigations-turn-to-contaminants-counterfeits-report/

Edited by notme

On 9/12/2019 at 5:46 AM, hasanhh said:

As reported this week, the Trump Administration will begin a limiting on e-cigs and vaping. This is in response to the development of serious and deadly cardio-pulmonary complications in the 16-26 year-old age group.

I could not find any study where vaping is directly compared to hookah use, but did find these two articles, chosen because they are not recent (FDA take note?) dated 2011 and 2016.

https://www.livescience.com/13582-hookahs-smoking-health-myths.html

From the journal "Drug and Alcohol Dependence", the hookah contains carcinogens, infectious diseases (especially in hookah bars) tar, CO, and so forth.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/305137.php 

The more data available in this article: 10XCO, 25Xtar, 125Xsmoke and 2.5Xnicotine than one cigarette; 

Recent info, Vitamin E acetate is coating the lungs of vapor-users with a plastic-like (vapor) deposition: 

https://www.theverge.com/2019/9/5/20851866/cdc-fda-investigation-vaping-lung-illness-vitamin-e  

OPINE: who thinks-of and who allows such public health hazards?

3 things that will cause death 

STAWP IT AINT WORTH IT Everyone 

• 3 weeks later...