In the Name of God بسم الله

Which hadith collection to choose

Rate this topic

Nadia.

• Advanced Member

Assalamu alaikum,

I have saved up some money to buy some islamic books with and right now I can't choose between buying the first volume of al-Kafi in english or the shi'a hadith collection "The scale of wisdom", so I'm wondering if anybody has any of these books and can suggest one of them for me and the reasons why I should buy that one and not the other. Al-Kafi vol.1 costs about 13 pounds + shipping and The scale of wisdom 26 pounds + shipping (but it has over a 1000 pages). I don't have any other hadith collections so maybe the scale of wisdom would be a better choice? 

• Forum Administrators

If you read the book "The Scale of Wisdom" for free on the Internet, you can save your money to buy another book.

http://www.hadith.net/en/post/33645/the-scale-of-wisdom-a-compendium-of-shia-hadith/

1 hour ago, Nadia. said:

Assalamu alaikum,

I have saved up some money to buy some islamic books with and right now I can't choose between buying the first volume of al-Kafi in english or the shi'a hadith collection "The scale of wisdom", so I'm wondering if anybody has any of these books and can suggest one of them for me and the reasons why I should buy that one and not the other. Al-Kafi vol.1 costs about 13 pounds + shipping and The scale of wisdom 26 pounds + shipping (but it has over a 1000 pages). I don't have any other hadith collections so maybe the scale of wisdom would be a better choice? 

I recommend Al Kafi as it is our earliest and best, but you will still need the grading of the ahadith there. The grading is important because without it, anyone would have claimed anything they liked, attributed it to the Imam a.s, and we would really have no idea if something is indeed reliably from the imam or not. Having said that, it is key to know im al rijal [science of hadith] used as part of the tool to grade ahadith is not the be all and end all, but is essential. 

Here is Al Kafi, Volume 1, Translated by SC user Q'aim, and graded, online free to use:

http://www.imamiyya.com/hadith/usul-kafi

Pray to Allah to reward him and give him the tawfiq to continue doing these great works

After this, i recommend you buy Volume 2 of Al Kafi translated  by Muhammed Sarwar, maybe from amazon. I have a personal copy, and i obtain the gradings from Mirat al Uqul. If you want a particular grading for a hadith on there, PM me inshAllah [though it may take time if i am busy].

Furthermore, if you want Prophetic ahadith, i am trying to collect a select number from Al Kafi [check out my signature]. All of the ahadith are with gradings from mirat al uqul.

Lastly, i highly recommend brother Islamic Salvation's thread collecting all of the reliable ahadith we have according to Ayatullah Asif Muhsini [work in progress]: