Jump to content
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Man Kunto Maula

Colouring the Hair in Islam

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

Hi All..

I have been in so much confusion about colouring the hair...

I haven't got any reliable sources telling me if colouring the hair is allowed or not and if it is allowed then of what kind of colours..?

I have personally coloured my hair with light orange strip in the front part of head..

Can any one please throw light on this if colouring the hair is allowed or not as per Islam and if yes then of what kind please..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Man Kunto Maula said:

Hi All..

I have been in so much confusion about colouring the hair...

I haven't got any reliable sources telling me if colouring the hair is allowed or not and if it is allowed then of what kind of colours..?

I have personally coloured my hair with light orange strip in the front part of head..

Can any one please throw light on this if colouring the hair is allowed or not as per Islam and if yes then of what kind please..

There is no proscriptive law in the Islam that prohibits dying/coloring the hair. There are some narrations which may tell coloring the hair in black makes it makruh for men; but there is not any information about women’s hair and there is no limit about the color.

Also, the hair dye does not prevent anyone to take the ritual body ablution(ghusl). There is a hadith like this: Jaber(excellency) explained: “During the conquest day, Abi Quhafa was brought near the Messenger. His hair was as white as snow. He (the Messenger of Allah) said: Take him to one of his woman (for his hair and beard color) to change. But avoid dying it to black.” (Muslim-Kitab Al-Libas 79; Al-Nasa’i-Zinat 15).

The important point here is, women must avoid exposing the hair to foreign men, because covering the hair is a definite order/command of Allah, the Almighty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/27/2016 at 3:10 AM, zeesh_ali110 said:

There is no proscriptive law in the Islam that prohibits dying/coloring the hair. There are some narrations which may tell coloring the hair in black makes it makruh for men; but there is not any information about women’s hair and there is no limit about the color.

Also, the hair dye does not prevent anyone to take the ritual body ablution(ghusl). There is a hadith like this: Jaber(excellency) explained: “During the conquest day, Abi Quhafa was brought near the Messenger. His hair was as white as snow. He (the Messenger of Allah) said: Take him to one of his woman (for his hair and beard color) to change. But avoid dying it to black.” (Muslim-Kitab Al-Libas 79; Al-Nasa’i-Zinat 15).

The important point here is, women must avoid exposing the hair to foreign men, because covering the hair is a definite order/command of Allah, the Almighty.

That's narration is NOT from a Shi'i Imami source.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is no prohibition against coloring your hair any color you want, but you can't make yourself an object of ridicule, and the hair of women, regardless of color, must be covered while out among strange men. 

Also the dye, if it's an issue, must allow water to reach the hair. I don't think this is usually a problem. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are a couple of narrations here:

8. In al-Faqih: In his narration from Muhammad ibn Muslim who asked Aba Ja’far (as) about the dying of hair, so he said: “The Prophet of Allah (S) used to dye his hair and here is some of his (dyed) hair which we have in our possession.”  al-Faqih 1:122, Makarim al-Akhlaq: 84

9. Also: He said: The Holy Prophet (S) and Husayn ibn ‘Ali and Abu Ja’far Muhammad ibn ‘Ali  used to dye their hair with ‘Katm’ (a type of dye made from a special plant) and ‘Ali ibn al-Husayn (as) used to dye his hair with henna and Katm. al-Faqih 1:122, Makarim al-Akhlaq: 80

Edited by Ali_Hussain

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, zeesh_ali110 said:

There is no proscriptive law in the Islam that prohibits dying/coloring the hair. There are some narrations which may tell coloring the hair in black makes it makruh for men; but there is not any information about women’s hair and there is no limit about the color.

Also, the hair dye does not prevent anyone to take the ritual body ablution(ghusl). There is a hadith like this: Jaber(excellency) explained: “During the conquest day, Abi Quhafa was brought near the Messenger. His hair was as white as snow. He (the Messenger of Allah) said: Take him to one of his woman (for his hair and beard color) to change. But avoid dying it to black.” (Muslim-Kitab Al-Libas 79; Al-Nasa’i-Zinat 15).

The important point here is, women must avoid exposing the hair to foreign men, because covering the hair is a definite order/command of Allah, the Almighty.

Thank u so much for the information but the point here is not about hair exposure or about women... 

I wish to know specifically about men and as u said that colouring or dying the hair black is not allowed, agreed to that but what if u colour your hair to any different colour than black like i have coloured it in light orange in front part of head and its not a dying...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Man Kunto Maula said:

So in short what i can understand from this topic is that there is no harm in colouring the hair...until u make yourself an object of ridicule or unless it is from haram product....

Correct. Anything not prohibited is permitted. If you live in a culture where dying hair bright colors is ridiculed, you should stick to more natural colors. If bright colors are accepted in your culture there is no religious prohibition against it. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Man Kunto Maula said:

Thank u so much for the information but the point here is not about hair exposure or about women... 

I wish to know specifically about men and as u said that colouring or dying the hair black is not allowed, agreed to that but what if u colour your hair to any different colour than black like i have coloured it in light orange in front part of head and its not a dying...

Ohh bro just forget what i have posted because that was not from Shia sources ?? Try searching it on the website of marja you follow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/27/2016 at 2:05 PM, Ozzy said:

Permissible, as long as the product is tahir.

السؤال: اذا صبغ المكلّف شعره بالصبغ الاصطناعي فهل يجب ان يكون الصبغ طاهراً و هل هو حاجب للوضوء و الغسل ؟
السيد سيستاني: لايشترط ان يكون طاهرا اذا امكن تطهير الشعر المصبوغ بعد ذلك و الصبغ طاهر و لايعد مانعا في الوضوء

http://www.sistani.org/arabic/qa/0580/

Is there a English translation of this? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Murtaza1 said:

Is there a English translation of this? 

I got this from Google translate. Maybe someone else can also give a better translation. 

Question: If the taxpayer has dyed his hair with artificial dye, should the dye be pure, or is it obligatory 
for ablution and ablution? Sayed sistani: It is not required to be pure if it is possible to cleanse the dyed hair
afterwards and the dye is pure and it is not preventable in wudoo.
Edited by ShiaChat Mod

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...