user5000

What does this hadith mean?

Rate this topic

Hadith Qudsi 6

The first of people against whom judgment will be pronounced on the Day of Resurrection will be a man who died a martyr. He will be brought and Allah will make known to him His Favors and he will recognize them. [The Almighty] will Say: And what did you do about them? He will say: I fought for you until I died a martyr. Allah will Declare: You have lied - you did but fight that it might be said [of you]: He is courageous. And so it was said. Then he will be ordered to be dragged along on his face until he is cast into Hell-fire! [Another] will be a man who has studied [religious] knowledge and has taught it and who used to recite the Quran. He will be brought and Allah will make known to him His Favors and he will recognize them. [The Almighty] will say: And what did you do about them? He will say: I studied [religious] knowledge and I taught it and I recited the Quran for Your sake. The Almighty will Declare: You have lied - you did but study [religious] knowledge that it might be said [of you]: He is learned. And you recited the Quran that it might be said [of you]: He is a reciter. And so it was said. Then he will be ordered to be dragged along on his face until he is cast into Hell-fire! [Another] will be a man whom Allah had made rich and to whom He had given all kinds of wealth. He will be brought and Allah will make known to him His Favors and he will recognize them. [The Almighty] will Say: And what did you do about them? He will say: I left no path [untrodden] in which You like money to be spent without spending in it for Your sake. Allah will Say: You have lied - you did but do so that it might be said [of you]: He is open-handed. And so it was said. Then he will be ordered to be dragged along on his face until he is cast into Hell-fire!

End

What does, "so that it might be said of you" mean? And what does "will make known to him his favors and he will recognize them" mean? Why were they thrown into hellfire?

Edited by Bazzi_

Salamun alaykum

I found like this Hadith in "Greater sins" book regardless of some differences, the meaning is the same.

The Hadith you mentioned is about Ria ( showing off).

According to the Quran and narrations, deceitful( riakar) is as the same as Mushrik and since Mushrik will be led towards the hell-fire, the same will be done to a deceitful person.

The Quran states:

"O you who have faith! Do not render your charities void by reproaches and affronts, like those who spend their wealth to be seen by people and have no faith in Allah and the Last Day. Their parable is that of a rock covered with soil: a downpour strikes it, leaving it bare. They have no power over anything of what they have earned, and Allah does not guide the faithless lot." [2:264]

And in the chapter Al-Ma'un, the Quran states:

"Woe to those who pray (4) but are heedless of their prayers (5) —who show off" [4-6]

God has many attributes like Hakim and Adil; that is He Almighty wont punish anyone before making him known Allah's commands and orders; as the Quran states:

"...your Lord would never destroy the towns unjustly while their people were unaware." [6:131]

"We do not punish [any community] until We have sent [it] an apostle." [17:15]

So by considering the above mentioned verses we realize what "will make known to him his favors and he will recognize them" means.

It means Before punishment, God will ask from anyone, ' didn't I send you a messenger to make known to you all my commands and these were my commands which were obligatory for you to fulfill them did you know them all?' so then all of us will confirm and will say: 'yes, we knew them all'.

I hope I could help you.

Edited by Alireza Huseini

2 hours ago, Bazzi_ said:

Hadith Qudsi 6

The first of people against whom judgment will be pronounced on the Day of Resurrection will be a man who died a martyr. He will be brought and Allah will make known to him His Favors and he will recognize them. [The Almighty] will Say: And what did you do about them? He will say: I fought for you until I died a martyr. Allah will Declare: You have lied - you did but fight that it might be said [of you]: He is courageous. And so it was said. Then he will be ordered to be dragged along on his face until he is cast into Hell-fire! [Another] will be a man who has studied [religious] knowledge and has taught it and who used to recite the Quran. He will be brought and Allah will make known to him His Favors and he will recognize them. [The Almighty] will say: And what did you do about them? He will say: I studied [religious] knowledge and I taught it and I recited the Quran for Your sake. The Almighty will Declare: You have lied - you did but study [religious] knowledge that it might be said [of you]: He is learned. And you recited the Quran that it might be said [of you]: He is a reciter. And so it was said. Then he will be ordered to be dragged along on his face until he is cast into Hell-fire! [Another] will be a man whom Allah had made rich and to whom He had given all kinds of wealth. He will be brought and Allah will make known to him His Favors and he will recognize them. [The Almighty] will Say: And what did you do about them? He will say: I left no path [untrodden] in which You like money to be spent without spending in it for Your sake. Allah will Say: You have lied - you did but do so that it might be said [of you]: He is open-handed. And so it was said. Then he will be ordered to be dragged along on his face until he is cast into Hell-fire!

End

What does, "so that it might be said of you" mean? And what does "will make known to him his favors and he will recognize them" mean? Why were they thrown into hellfire?

i have identified  the answer from sunni sources. The link is given below: