Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Soldiers and Saffron

The role of the ego in Islam

Rate this topic

ejROkIg.png

Salam aleykum,

I have been wondering, what role does the ego have in Islam? How should we handle the concept?

Should one kill his own sense of ego? Should one limit it/scale it down?

Are there any pros and cons to the ego/having an ego?

Lets discuss!

On 19.11.2016 at 3:29 PM, IbnSina said:

ejROkIg.png

Salam aleykum,

I have been wondering, what role does the ego have in Islam? How should we handle the concept?

Lets discuss!

Salam aleikum,

If you would like to know more about this topic then I highly recommend watching brother Khalil Jaffer video series of "The End of Negative Suffering" and "Freeing the Butterfly Within". Very important topic.

14 hours ago, sayedamir2000 said:

Salam aleikum,

If you would like to know more about this topic then I highly recommend watching brother Khalil Jaffer video series of "The End of Negative Suffering" and "Freeing the Butterfly Within". Very important topic.

Ws,

Thank you for the advice, I have seen some of those lectures and they are good but I dont want a lecture I want an answer.

What role does the ego have in islam?

What role did the ego have in the lives of our Imams(as)?

You have seen these lectures so what is your answer to these questions?

Guest silasun

Salam Alaikum

Ego or I-ness is the source of all evil. Its opposite is faith in God. Ego means that a man considers himself as a separate being and has personal inclinations, whereas true faith is the opposite - a level of faith is that man's will becomes mixed with Allah's will and he no longer considers his personal desires in his actions but only seeks God's pleasure.

Of course, that cannot be attained overnight. We need to start by adhering to Islamic legal theory (doing all the obligations and staying away from all the sins) and then gradually acquire the habit of doing all of our routine actions for the sake of God. Overtime we end up not desiring heaven or safety from hell but only wanting God's pleasure.

There is a very beautiful hadith narrated from the Prophet (in Ilm al-Yaqin). It describes the people of heaven and what happens when man gives up his own will. It says that an angel comes to them, and, after asking permission from them, he enters and after conveying Allah's greeting to them he delivers a letter from Allah, the Exalted.

The letter says to whomsoever it is addressed:

“From the Ever-Living, the Everlasting, Who never dies, to the ever-living, everlasting, who never dies. Now then, I tell a thing: Be! And it is. I made you tell a thing: Be! And it is.” The Messenger of Allah (s) said: “Hence, no one of the people of Paradise says to something: “Be!” unless it will be.” 

Source

The source that I linked has more details on the topic in the context of Salat, whose goal is to remove I-ness from man and to turn him towards God.

Asking for your prayers so that we can acquire servitude!

@silasun

So the ego is the source of all evil you say? So then it must be killed, how is that done? 

You are basically saying that the will of the ego is not always in line with the will of Allah(SWT)?

@magma

What do you think magma? What role does the ego have in Islam and how should we handle it?

Guest silasun

Ego here means "I-ness" i.e. a person considers himself in his actions and not God. 

We need to do our obligations and stay away from the sins, that's a pivotal step. Then we need to work to make all of our activities for God's sake and acquire the noble ethical traits we are told to have.

6 hours ago, silasun said:

Ego here means "I-ness" i.e. a person considers himself in his actions and not God. 

We need to do our obligations and stay away from the sins, that's a pivotal step. Then we need to work to make all of our activities for God's sake and acquire the noble ethical traits we are told to have.

Hmm, what do you think of this definition?

A man that has a big ego is like a man that is in servitude of himself and a worshiper of himself.

A man without a ego is like a man in servitude to Allah(SWT) and a worshiper of him.

Would you agree with that?

Also, a man that cares about his public reputation, is that a man that cares about his ego?

Guest silasun

not sure about the 1st part. 

The 2nd part - if it is out of fear of people and not for the sake of God then yes, I guess so. But fearing reputation for God's sake is worship!

Certainly, a person with tawheed in the heart (i.e. a servant) doesn't care about personal inclinations - when they defend themselves it is for God's sake, or mourn for the death of a loved one.

The direction of actions changes from his own desires to Allah!

Anyway, this discussion feels waaay above my league but I am just quoting theoretical knowledge.

On ‎11‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 6:29 PM, IbnSina said:

ejROkIg.png

Salam aleykum,

Lets discuss!

Wa Alaikum Salam,

Difficult question brother, it covers all the technical terminologies like egotism/narcissism, self-esteem, altruism etc.

As for ego, it is the executive of the personality and is governed by reality principle. As long as it is governed by reality principle, it will remain in the state where it accept reality/realities, which is fine. When it gets deviated or turned into egotism or narcissism, it becomes worst. One of its trait is self-respect or self-esteem, it is another subject and is linked with your question.

Edited by Spiritual

@silasun @Spiritual @sukayna ali

I apologize for the late reply, I had to think some more on this subject.

These are some good points you bring forward.

But is it true then? Must one have an ego to have self esteem?  Or can you believe in yourself without serving yourself? Is the sense of the ego inseparable from the concept of self esteem and self respect?

@.InshAllah. 

Thank you, I will check it out iA, what is your opinion on this subject anyways?

14 hours ago, IbnSina said:

@silasun @Spiritual @sukayna ali

I apologize for the late reply, I had to think some more on this subject.

These are some good points you bring forward.

But is it true then? Must one have an ego to have self esteem?  Or can you believe in yourself without serving yourself? Is the sense of the ego inseparable from the concept of self esteem and self respect?

@.InshAllah. 

Thank you, I will check it out iA, what is your opinion on this subject anyways?

ego is pride, and human beings naturally have this trait. some have it more than others. there's nothing wrong  with having a little bit of it.